• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How you define God?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Either way, your little snit has little to nothing to do with the point of the conversation.

Neither did yours; I was just following your example. :p

That's a personal god, a deity that is deified for personal interests and relationship. A personal Deity must be different from the universal God and the Creator.

Huh? I don't understand. I thought "personal god" referred to deities understood to be persons (aka, identifiable individuals with distinctive personalities and attributes) who relate to human beings on a personal level (e.g., listening to and responding to prayers, being concerned with the affairs of individual humans). Then again, I've never really understood the phrase "personal god" to begin with, so... meh. Its usage seems to be rather inconsistent.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Doesn't exist or unknown?
God is defined as the one that is not yet known so far and is vague.
However miracles do happen and people worship God. Many of the individual have personal experience with the God.

I agree; miracles do happen. People worship God :) A real miracle would be if you guys start believing, at least, in the same god.

Joking aside, personal experiences do not count as evidence. If they did, then abductng aliens, and a whole plethora of weird things, would be supported by evidence,

Especially personal experiences, or relationships. That is obvious considering the divergent views that exist already within the restricted set of Christians. Let alone between Christians and Hindus, or whatever.

Hell/no hell. Weapons/no weapons. Death penalty/no death penalty. Gays/no gays. New earth/old earth. Evolution/ no evolution, etc.

I wonder what they talk about with God during one of those experiences many of them claim to have.

Ciao

- viole

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Highest faith.
Quite often, deities are rather blatantly personifications of one's ideals.

I take it that you will not accept understandings of deities that make them human creations?

Your privilege, but that is still a legitimate stance for one to take, and a particularly difficult one to challenge.