• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you react?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
You're at the grocery store and you see a young woman walk into the store. She looks worried and anxious and is wearing a large trenchcoat.

You notice that she is taking food and placing it in her coat. She starts to walk out without paying.

What do you do?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that, if you see someone stealing food, no you don't. If someone is so hungry and desperate to feed themselves and their kids that they steal, just let it go.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Why doesn’t she get government assistance and get her food through legal means? Yes, there are some people who may need to steal to survive, but there are plenty of brazen thieves out there taking advantage of the current mentality.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why doesn’t she get government assistance and get her food through legal means? Yes, there are some people who may need to steal to survive, but there are plenty of brazen thieves out there taking advantage of the current mentality.
Yep. I'd report it to management. Never make assumptions.

Even if arrested, her situation will be revealed and maybe assistance afterwards to put her on the right track will be provided.

Stealing may lead to more serious crimes if unchecked and can result in tragedy.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Citation required.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You're at the grocery store and you see a young woman walk into the store. She looks worried and anxious and is wearing a large trenchcoat.

You notice that she is taking food and placing it in her coat. She starts to walk out without paying.

What do you do?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that, if you see someone stealing food, no you don't. If someone is so hungry and desperate to feed themselves and their kids that they steal, just let it go.

I've let it go before, and I've purchased food for others in similar situations at a supermarket and a convenience store.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you do?

This reminds me of a time I was about to go into a Walgreens, and as I was walking towards the front entrance, this woman came out and was walking rather fast in my direction. She walked past me and ran across the street, while these three burly-looking employees came out after her. Although she had pretty much gotten away at that point, and they did not pursue.

I'll admit to having mixed feelings about this. Sure, it's easy to sympathize with someone who might be hungry and desperate so as to resort to theft, but then, if it goes on long enough, stores shut down, and food deserts are created.

syo

What do you do?

I'd tell her I'll buy her what she needs

vulcanlogician

My brother in law and I once saw a homeless dude roll up into a beer truck and snatch two 30 packs and walk off down the street. That was pretty much cool with me. I wasn't gonna go alert the truck driver or anything. In fact, we thought it was pretty funny.

Same goes for food theft. Maybe even doubly so. But, admittedly, not as funny.

Personally, I don't roll that way; I don't steal. Like I'd never snag a 30 pack off a beer truck, even if it was 100% guaranteed I'd get away with it. But I bet that homeless dude enjoyed that beer more than the beer company was bothered by its loss of profits.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My brother in law and I once saw a homeless dude roll up into a beer truck and snatch two 30 packs and walk off down the street. That was pretty much cool with me. I wasn't gonna go alert the truck driver or anything. In fact, we thought it was pretty funny.

Personally, I don't roll that way; I don't steal. Like I'd never snag a 30 pack off a beer truck, even if it was 100% guaranteed I'd get away with it. But I bet that homeless dude enjoyed that beer more than the beer company was bothered by its loss of profits.

I've seen some carrying signs like this on occasion, though not for quite a number of years:

1686012207095.png

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'd mostly not do anything in such circumstances, although I might offer to pay if the amount wasn't too much. I think the only time I might intervene would be when someone was being abused or similar, but I've often remained silent when a mother was being nasty to a child - just too much aggro likely to intervene. :(

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you do?

If she's worried and anxious, she clearly knows what she's doing is wrong, and she's doing what she's doing out of desperation.

Personally, I'd confront her, ask her why she is stealing food, and if the reason is legitimate, I'd tell her to go get whatever she needs that she couldn't fit in her coat, pay for her groceries and offer her advice on how to go about getting food without stealing...programs like WIC, etc.

RestlessSoul

Let’s hope the truck driver didn’t get penalised by his employer when they discovered the theft.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Let’s hope the truck driver didn’t get penalised by his employer when they discovered the theft.
Depending on the delivery company's policies, a penalty might be warranted. Most companies require drivers to secure the vehicle before walking away from it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If she's worried and anxious, she clearly knows what she's doing is wrong, and she's doing what she's doing out of desperation.

Personally, I'd confront her, ask her why she is stealing food, and if the reason is legitimate, I'd tell her to go get whatever she needs that she couldn't fit in her coat, pay for her groceries and offer her advice on how to go about getting food without stealing...programs like WIC, etc.
That would be a compassionate way of handling it.