• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to prove God to an atheist (no, really)...

IAMIAM

If and/or when you wish to get on with actually lending some answer to the OP (you know, the first post in this thread), then perhaps we might continue in discussion...

...mundane proselytizing just bores me. OK?

Go sell your earnest piety in another thread please.

*rolls eyes...again*

There is no proselytizing going on here my friend. The op asked how to prove to an atheist that God exists. My reply was that is what prophecy is for.

No piety.
No evangelism.
Not trying to convert.

Just an answer to the OP.

:cover:

Don't look if you do not want to see.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
All of this....is pointless.

It is not likely God is going to chase you down and tap you on the shoulder.
After your last breath, the angels might do so with sword in hand.

So I believe.

Proving God to an atheist?
As if God and believers would do so?

Why would "the angels" do this if not in response to something we failed to do in life? Your scenario presupposes a God that cares whether people believe in him or not at least enough to send sword-wielding angels after us if we don't believe.

Do you really think that such a God, who apparently does care whether we believe, wouldn't do anything to bring about the outcome that he apparently desires so much that he would resort to murder if he doesn't get it? This is inconsistent.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Were you going to say something about the Carpenter's handiwork?

why did you bring up your IQ?

psst, i had an hypothesis.
did some research and it turned into a theory
now i have discovered why...

here it is.....are you ready?????

the reason you brought up your IQ is because no one else did.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
why did you bring up your IQ?

psst, i had an hypothesis.
did some research and it turned into a theory
now i have discovered why...

here it is.....are you ready?????

the reason you brought up your IQ is because no one else did.

No actually....someone else laid doubt to my ability.
How about you....?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why would "the angels" do this if not in response to something we failed to do in life? Your scenario presupposes a God that cares whether people believe in him or not at least enough to send sword-wielding angels after us if we don't believe.

Do you really think that such a God, who apparently does care whether we believe, wouldn't do anything to bring about the outcome that he apparently desires so much that he would resort to murder if he doesn't get it? This is inconsistent.

Heaven would be a place of peace.
Are you suggesting all may enter?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
There is no proselytizing going on here my friend. The op asked how to prove to an atheist that God exists. My reply was that is what prophecy is for.

*ahem* Please re-read the OP and note that I make no requests of proof from anyone. What I offered was what I would consider conclusive proof, predicated upon the scenario I outlined within the OP.

It's really not a complicated or overwrought proposition.

Believers that wish to pray for a miracle and beseech their god(s) for some display of supernatural (defies or is beyond any natural explanation) cause and effect, that I believe would instantly convert many millions, if not billions of heretical unbelievers, or at very least...me :)

The only inquiry posed in the OP was "What's wrong with that?"

No piety.
No evangelism.
Not trying to convert.

Just an answer to the OP.

When your "answer" is little more than a list of prophecies and yes, cautionary predictions and the like, it is both a testimony of piety (if you didn't believe, you wouldn't recite prophecy as "truth"), which is actually what Evangelism" defines ("the spreading of the Biblical gospel by public preaching or personal witness".)

Whether you seek converts, well, perhaps you do not. But it is worth noting that all Abrahamic religions deem the teachings of Jesus as being either a rabbi, prophet, or son of God himself...and Christians are charged with Matthew 28:16-20, to indeed do as they are commanded. :)

If your faith lets you off the hook, that's fine with me :)

Don't look if you do not want to see.

I've been looking and keeping notes from post adolescence, nearly 40 years now.

So, I again offer you the OP and the lone question it asks...

"What's wrong with that?"

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If your faith lets you off the hook, that's fine with me :)

No one gets off the hook.

If I say anything at all...and you listen....you've been hooked.

Later on the angels will ask...and I will report.
They might very well approve of these things I write.
They will then seek out, how such things have been received.

If I say good things and do good things....and you know of it....
They will ask a report.
How such things are received is important.

If you hear good things and abide...no problem.
If you hear good things and refuse....

It is indeed much like having a fishing hook caught in your ear.
It will leave a mark...you can't say it didn't happen.

"...and I shall make you fishers of men."

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Your nay saying (or anyone else's) is not evidence.
Your repetitious posts and failure to present any arguments, are valid evidence, though. My nay-saying is simply the observations of same.

There is a difference, and an important one.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Heaven would be a place of peace.
Are you suggesting all may enter?

A place of peace filled with murderous angels running around with swords? Again, this is inconsistent.

I'm suggesting that a God who wants all to enter would find a way to make that happen, because if he's unable to actualize his will, then he would not be God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A place of peace filled with murderous angels running around with swords? Again, this is inconsistent.

I'm suggesting that a God who wants all to enter would find a way to make that happen, because if he's unable to actualize his will, then he would not be God.

So you would advocate mind control to insure God's will be done?
Or do you prefer...freewill followed by consequence?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Your repetitious posts and failure to present any arguments, are valid evidence, though. My nay-saying is simply the observations of same.

There is a difference, and an important one.

Apparently we can only agree upon mutual unimportance.

But I prefer my stance to yours....and the Almighty as Almighty.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
No one gets off the hook.

If I say anything at all...and you listen....you've been hooked.

Later on the angels will ask...and I will report.
They might very well approve of these things I write.
They will then seek out, how such things have been received.

If I say good things and do good things....and you know of it....
They will ask a report.
How such things are received is important.

If you hear good things and abide...no problem.
If you hear good things and refuse....

It is indeed much like having a fishing hook caught in your ear.
It will leave a mark...you can't say it didn't happen.

"...and I shall make you fishers of men."

You know..if you ever sought to establish any credibility...any... within a ream of skeptical unbelievers, you first step upon that path would be to provide earnest answer to the question put before you.

All you cite is public urinal scrawlings...

..hardly impressive or inspirational even when more effort and time is employed to take a healthy dump.

Answer the OP directly, or at very least, return to your duties in removing the offal of random dogs crapping in our yard.

At some point, someone is just going to call you out as an ignorant fool...and hand you a loaded gun...just to watch you shoot yourself in grievous harm to body and ego...

My counsel is that you pursue a career in hypnotism...for your tedious ramblings alone would induce sleep or daydreaming disinterest in anyone that cared to expend a moment's notice of your inane and punishingly immaterial "contributions".

Just some friendly advice :)

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Apparently we can only agree upon mutual unimportance.

But I prefer my stance to yours....and the Almighty as Almighty.
Like I said, there is no almighty. But if I were in the position, you'd be able to use the phrase accurately. The one you want to hold the title has bolluxed up everything he's ever done, from the beginning.