• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to name a religion?

Weeping Raven

One lost Raven
I am in the process of getting my beliefs down on paper and I am sick to death of referring to it as "my religion" or "my beliefs", I want a name for it. How do you choose a name for a religion? How would you go about naming a religion?

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
A religion is a system for the expression of belief, so they're not quite the same thing. I.e., likely there are pre-existing words that already describe what your belief(s) are, e.g. pantheistic, monistic, agnostic, henotheistic, etc. Your belief probably falls into one or more, and you could opt to hyphenate or simply identify with one it mostly fits with.

You don't really need a religion name unless you're creating a formally defined system of practice for the expression of your belief. It's suffice to say "I'm __name of belief__."

Weeping Raven

One lost Raven
Why label it, it only becomes a concept, a belief, be a Mystic and go with the flow.

So I can finally get out of typing "my religion" and also I want to give it more character, its like a painting without a name at the moment.

A religion is a system for the expression of belief, so they're not quite the same thing. I.e., likely there are pre-existing words that already describe what your belief(s) are, e.g. pantheistic, monistic, agnostic, henotheistic, etc. Your belief probably falls into one or more, and you could opt to hyphenate or simply identify with one it mostly fits with.

You don't really need a religion name unless you're forming a formally defined system of practice for the expression of your belief. It's suffice to say "I'm __name of belief__."

I'm having a hard time finding such a word, the closest I've found would be Deism, though from the definitions I've read it still doesn't fit the bill exactly.

blindly slap your hand down on the keyboard, and then add "ism"

Can't beat a good ol' ism ;)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
So I can finally get out of typing "my religion" and also I want to give it more character, its like a painting without a name at the moment.

I'm having a hard time finding such a word, the closest I've found would be Deism, though from the definitions I've read it still doesn't fit the bill exactly.

Can't beat a good ol' ism ;)
Whatever name or label you come up with will be second-hand, it will not be your's, your relgioion is found within you and nowhere else, it certainly worked for me.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I am in the process of getting my beliefs down on paper and I am sick to death of referring to it as "my religion" or "my beliefs", I want a name for it. How do you choose a name for a religion? How would you go about naming a religion?
share some of the beliefs then it would aid us in aiding you.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Depending on how original you feel it to be, you may want to name it after some specific time, place or event, or else as a function of some of its core tenets.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It isn't like it has to be immediately obvious to nonbelievers or permanent. Since it seems to be about your beliefs, why not just name it after yourself? For now?
Call it Ianism or Davidism or something. Have you a nickname more distinctive than your given name? That seems even better if possible. Then people know it is yours, not some generic George or whatever.
Just my two cents.
Tom

Weeping Raven

One lost Raven
share some of the beliefs then it would aid us in aiding you.

The most important part of my beliefs is my view on God, which is summed up with this line "God is in everything", its a sentient force essentially. God can influence us, rather than direct intervention. The number 7 also has significant meaning to me (based off my experiences) and it features heavily in my worship.

There are the most important beliefs that would make sense to somehow name it after.

Depending on how original you feel it to be, you may want to name it after some specific time, place or event, or else as a function of some of its core tenets.

Its original enough that I'm struggling to find a name for it, though perhaps that's more due to my lack of knowledge on religious names and terms, hence my asking here. Cheers for the reply :)

It isn't like it has to be immediately obvious to nonbelievers or permanent. Since it seems to be about your beliefs, why not just name it after yourself? For now?
Call it Ianism or Davidism or something. Have you a nickname more distinctive than your given name? That seems even better if possible. Then people know it is yours, not some generic George or whatever.
Just my two cents.
Tom

My only proper nickname, which is "misfire" (don't ask ;)) and that doesn't really fit. I thought about using my last name, which is a fairly common one (18th in England), I do feel abit strange putting my name on it, though I may end up doing this if no other alternative presents itself.

Just throw out a bunch of names and see what it answers to.

Trial and error till I find one that fits, thank you I may attempt this.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

In some cases the name of a religion is derived from a sacred or other significant figure in that religion (e.g. Christianity or Zoroastrianism), or from a central tenet (e.g. Islam).

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Just make something up, that is after all how religion works.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
One doesn't have to name one's thoughts as a religion. The truthful religion has already been named by God by Himself. No need to name, necessarily. Please
Regards

Thief

Rogue Theologian
One doesn't have to name one's thoughts as a religion. The truthful religion has already been named by God by Himself. No need to name, necessarily. Please
Regards
did you have a name (from God)?
and with so many names already bouncing about....
is there one in play that you prefer?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
did you have a name (from God)?
and with so many names already bouncing about....
is there one in play that you prefer?
I believe in Islam and Islam has been clearly and unequivocally named by God.
If one wants, I may quote from Quran.
Regards

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe in Islam and Islam has been clearly and unequivocally named by God.
If one wants, I may quote from Quran.
Regards
well, so many other religions have names....

but I do not judge a belief by the name of it

I, for example, do not claim a religion
to name my belief, it would needful to use my own name
or perhaps a character trait outstanding in the scheme of things

how about.....?
Dountoothersasyouwouldhaveitdoneuntoyou...ism