• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to limit climate change

wellwisher

Geological science shows that climate change is natural to the earth. We go though global glacial periods and then warm back up, with ups and downs between and within the larger cycles. This has occurred many times over a billion years of recorded data. Even if we could reset the clock back to the 1800's, before the official records, climate change was the norm back then, all without the manmade bogeymen.

Here is a speech from the well known author, Mark Twain,
December 22, 1876 in New England Society’s Seventy-First Annual Dinner, New York City.

Speech On The Weather

Below is just a small part of his witty speech;

The weather is always doing something there; always attending strictly to business; always getting up new designs and trying them on the people to see how they will go. But it gets through more business in spring than in any other season. In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four-and-twenty hours.

Perception of climate change, as function of strange weather, is not new. The hype assumes you have not lived long enough to see, that what we see today, is quite normal for the earth. Even if we got rid all the bogeymen, weather or climate will never become fully routine since change is natural to the earth.

I like the idea of adaptation to change, since this is the best way to deal with the change nature will bring after man cleans up his mess. We need to look longer term, and not destroy culture in the first half thinking this will end all climate change. There are two halves.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Geological science shows that climate change is natural to the earth. We go though global glacial periods and then warm back up, with ups and downs between and within the larger cycles. This has occurred many times over a billion years of recorded data. Even if we could reset the clock back to the 1800's, before the official records, climate change was the norm back then, all without the manmade bogeymen.

December 22, 1876 in New England Society’s Seventy-First Annual Dinner, New York City.

Speech On The Weather

The weather is always doing something there; always attending strictly to business; always getting up new designs and trying them on the people to see how they will go. But it gets through more business in spring than in any other season. In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four-and-twenty hours.

Perception of climate change, as function of strange weather, is not new. The hype assumes you have not lived long enough to see, that what we see today, is quite normal for the earth. Even if we got rid all the bogeymen, weather or climate will never become fully routine since change is natural to the earth.

I like the idea of adaptation to change, since this is the best way to deal with the change nature will bring after man cleans up his mess. We need to look longer term, and not destroy culture in the first half thinking this will end all climate change. There are two halves.
No, it does not. Climate change is based upon observation. It is supported by the observed unprecedented rise in temperatures. We know its cause, We know the source of the cause. Do you have any evidence at all to counter their evidence backed claims?

Do you even understand the Greenhouse Effect? I have yet to meet a climate change denier that does understand that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But never before, except with the Chicxulub meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs, has climate change happened so quickly. The causes are pretty clearly established.
When climate changes faster than life can adapt, you get mass extinctions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Speech On The Weather

Let me highly recommend getting a subscription to "Scientific American" as climate change is very much real, and in the more modern era mostly caused by higher levels of CO2 and methane gas. This is not speculation, so it's very important for us to get our science from scientists and not political talking-heads.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What are the ways we can limit or stop climate change?

If you do not think it is a problem to solve then please don't post.

"What can individuals do?​

Major changes need to come from governments and businesses, but scientists say small changes from individuals can also make a difference:
- What is climate change? A really simple guide

exchemist

Veteran Member

Major changes need to come from governments and businesses, but scientists say small changes from individuals can also make a difference:
I would only qualify the vehicle switching point by saying that, if your annual mileage is low, you generate less CO2 by continuing to run your old ICE car than sellng it and buying an EV. That's because of the CO2 generated in the manufacture of any motor vehicle.

(Using a bicycle for short trips can cut down car use and keep you healthy. Think Dutch.)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I would only qualify the vehicle switching point by saying that, if your annual mileage is low, you generate less CO2 by continuing to run your old ICE car than sellng it and buying an EV. That's because of the CO2 generated in the manufacture of any motor vehicle.

(Using a bicycle for short trips can cut down car use and keep you healthy. Think Dutch.)
I have considered a bike...my city roads are full of pot holes (is the whole of the UK?). I've heard a burgeoning % of insurance claims are for vehicle damage caused by pot holes. There's too many to avoid them all and some are tantamount to sinkholes. I don't fancy hitting one while cycling on a busy road...

Maybe a heat pump? Apparently grants are available. I'll look into it.

- Heat pumps: How do they work and how do I get one?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have considered a bike...my city roads are full of pot holes (is the whole of the UK?). I've heard a burgeoning % of insurance claims are for vehicle damage caused by pot holes. There's too many to avoid them all and some are tantamount to sinkholes. I don't fancy hitting one while cycling on a busy road...

Maybe a heat pump? Apparently grants are available. I'll look into it.

- Heat pumps: How do they work and how do I get one?
Here in London there are potholes, but I know where they are on my regular routes and can avoid them. So for things like doing the shopping the bike is the best bet - also avoids all that pratting about looking for spaces in car parks, paying for a ticket etc. And in fact just as quick all in all, by bike. But my secret is a large double pannier on the back, each side of which can take a supermarket carrier bag, which my wife ordered for me from the Netherlands, where this is common practice. Now hard to get hold of in the UK because of............Brexit.........[cue circus music and clowns]

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Having no or fewer children has a greater, long term affect on resource depletion and climate change than all of the above combined -- but this is an inconvenient truth, and is rarely mentioned.

No matter how much we reduce our impact, once a tipping point is reached, it's out of our hands. Our species could disappear completely and the process would continue.
That's what tipping points are.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Having no or fewer children has a greater, long term affect on resource depletion and climate change than all of the above combined -- but this is an inconvenient truth, and is rarely mentioned.
Well, I get a tick in that box then!

No matter how much we reduce our impact, once a tipping point is reached, it's out of our hands. Our species could disappear completely and the process would continue.
That's what tipping points are.
I agree that we may have passed the tipping point, although the article I linked to does say "scientists argue that urgent action can still avoid the most dangerous effects of climate change." I'd like to see us try, not for the sake of the perpetrator, but for the rest of the biosphere upon which we are dropping this catastrophe.

Shaul

Premium Member

Maybe our leaders could start setting an example.

John Kerry is President Biden’s Climate envoy. Here is John Kerry using his personal jet,
f6T6p2x3CTc4vyc7O1qzPRFy-B8dSSUJOOXkyzL-jbGeMKFafcFEwfjFQgirE3I0ijqdJNO0wzx3WAGdwPJb__2fPLrlpri_ialy8Kqr1brZomkXPVJVQeaka6X8w9HDCM5z_0peY3JVxxVA8cw2-no

This has produced an estimated 750,000 pounds of carbon dioxide on his trips since President Biden has taken office.

Mr. Kerry could set the example by eating less seafood and Philly cheesesteaks too. Maybe he could eat some bugs.
0trJ384J887pbyHMqFnawk-XTrT3oOYjQmHCdeSJvIjg-mdW9HbCW7OoMZF6BwlKZZ2J88iAyEapCUme_bPCBuWhoZF4QSRCfuKQGYyAhr_H45IicbcVdrH4GqCgZGsqdgVr8Ii_EuS212diNncKgJ4

Kxw5bmJYkV1aOrgDFS6lFWnBc6-EDWbVOwrExPkDQg4sATvgdEY5eM_9ugM2xMZ73w8_8w16FtAmo0__dv3ufpjsQmIALwW51PrC9RGjcR5lt8ibsSxpN9ItOKvKPaiPBaln7WcriPQvBFBOcll0TwQ

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, I get a tick in that box then!

I agree that we may have passed the tipping point, although the article I linked to does say "scientists argue that urgent action can still avoid the most dangerous effects of climate change." I'd like to see us try, not for the sake of the perpetrator, but for the rest of the biosphere upon which we are dropping this catastrophe.
Which tipping point do you suspect we may have passed?

Me, I'm seriously worried about the loss of arctic snow cover and melting permafrost. The methane and CO2 percolating out may be enough to generate a self sustaining feedback loop, creating hundreds of times the greenhouse effect humans do.

wellwisher

What are the ways we can limit or stop climate change?

If you do not think it is a problem to solve then please don't post.
You cannot limit climate change. Climate change has been going on for since the earth was formed. There is also what is called the second law, which states that the entropy of the universe has to increase. If you expect to stop the flow of entropy and make the earth reach a steady state, I have perpetual motion machine you can buy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You cannot limit climate change. Climate change has been going on for since the earth was formed. There is also what is called the second law, which states that the entropy of the universe has to increase. If you expect to stop the flow of entropy and make the earth reach a steady state, I have perpetual motion machine you can buy.
Nonsense, as we helped to create this mess, thus we can at least help to uncreate it. The scientific research is quite clear on this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why do you insist on telling others that you have no understanding of this topic at all?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is like saying that the entire medical profession is useless as death is inevitable.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here in London there are potholes, but I know where they are on my regular routes and can avoid them. So for things like doing the shopping the bike is the best bet - also avoids all that pratting about looking for spaces in car parks, paying for a ticket etc. And in fact just as quick all in all, by bike. But my secret is a large double pannier on the back, each side of which can take a supermarket carrier bag, which my wife ordered for me from the Netherlands, where this is common practice. Now hard to get hold of in the UK because of............Brexit.........[cue circus music and clowns]
I am only a half mile away from my local supermarket. So I hoof it. My secondary source is only a bus ride further. Round trip costs me fifty cents.

I would like to get a Tesla, but they are a bit spendy. So I am considering the installment plan. Just buy an EV one wheel at a time.

1691260259986.png

exchemist

Veteran Member
I am only a half mile away from my local supermarket. So I hoof it. My secondary source is only a bus ride further. Round trip costs me fifty cents.

I would like to get a Tesla, but they are a bit spendy. So I am considering the installment plan. Just buy an EV one wheel at a time.

View attachment 80370
Just make sure you don't go over a cliff, like that fellow that owned segway.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Which tipping point do you suspect we may have passed?

Me, I'm seriously worried about the loss of arctic snow cover and melting permafrost. The methane and CO2 percolating out may be enough to generate a self sustaining feedback loop, creating hundreds of times the greenhouse effect humans do.
(Sorry, missed this).

No one particular tipping point for me; I see it as all part of one giant ****show created by homo sapiens. It's not just one domino falling.