• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to do Puja and Hindu worship?

Onkara

How do you start with puja or bhakti worship if you are not lucky enough to live near a Hindu temple?

How do you choose your deity to know that it is really the one for your long term?

Do you have a home altar or way to practice alone, clearly defined?

Do you need to make a choice on your sect or branch before starting out or can it become more clear as you begin practice?

Have you seen any benefits, if so what are they?

Onkara

No, I am not born Hindu. Do you think race matters? (perhaps it is better not to go into that :) )

Last edited:

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
If u are not of Indian or related to India,probably u may use ur own gods like christ and follow devotion.Conversion is not of any use esp to Hinduism.Yes race matters in Devotional Hinduism not so much in other sects of Hinduism or buddhism.Because u need understand sanskrit(meaning) while reciting mantras otherwise its of little use.You can worship any form,or u can buy idols .But u have do away with these forms and names some time or other.And u have to see urself in all beings.Thats more important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Onkara

Thank you Anti-Religion
I can see you answered with kindness and I am grateful for reminding me of the Supreme Goal. For many Bhakti Yoga fills them with love and devotion. It was this line of conceptulisation I was indulging in when posting the questions.

Respectfully, Onkarah.

santdasji

JAi Swaminarayan.

Race,caste and creed is just a material element. We all are teh soul. This is the primary teaching of the Sanatan Vedic Dharm. No matter how you are, we are to worship Purshottam Bhagwan. The Supreme Reality.

Jai Shri Krishna.

God bless you and may you attain His ultimate bliss through His service and realisation.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
JAi Swaminarayan.

Race,caste and creed is just a material element. We all are teh soul. This is the primary teaching of the Sanatan Vedic Dharm. No matter how you are, we are to worship Purshottam Bhagwan. The Supreme Reality.

Jai Shri Krishna.

God bless you and may you attain His ultimate bliss through His service and realisation.

Exactly, you don't have to be Indian to follow the path of devotion, that is such an external concept and one that I never liked but that of course many Indians love.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you start with puja or bhakti worship if you are not lucky enough to live near a Hindu temple?

How do you choose your deity to know that it is really the one for your long term?

Do you need to make a choice on your sect or branch before starting out or can it become more clear as you begin practice?

It's important to realise that behind all the rituals and words the point is to express yourself with love and devotion. I personally do not think that it really matters how you worship as long as do so genuinely. I do not think though, that you will be able to learn how to do traditional worship without a physical guide. Are you really unable to reach a temple?

If you do not yet feel an affinity toward a particular deity/manifestation then there's no problem with whichever you decide to worship. They are all manifestations of the One, after all, though they each represent a different mood or energy. In our temple room we have deities of Gaura Nitai and pictures of Krishna/Radha/Gopis and Shiva, and Krishna/Arjuna and Ganesha and various gurus. When we pay obeisance, we are offering our self to all of these personalities really. We are surrendering to the totallity, if that makes sense. But I really think it's important to know that you shouldn't feel a need to 'pick' a deity.

We have a room dedicated to the deities and all things related (scriptures, for example). The deities are on an alter. But even that isn't necessary. You just do what you can and how you want. Remember, -love and affection-. Processes and methods are -guides- for learners; not the point of devotion.

This links in with your question about benefits. The whole point of rituals and procedures are a physical way for a person to express him/herself. Through offering food or incense or whatever, we humans are better able to express love and care. So yes, I do experience benefit from service. It helps me a lot while I am at such a basic level in my journey to Realisation. Eventually I may no longer need rituals. I may be able to experience and express my love without physical stimuli. That will be a wonderful day!

Andal

resident hypnotist

Madhuri gave good answers :) so I'll just throw in my two cents.

I started bhakti by reading the scriptures and listening to lectures on line, as I don't live near a temple. In terms of worship, I started by getting the supplies, watch many many pujas online and reading different descriptions. I then decided to do the one that fit me best and was a good example of my love.

I did not so much choose my deity as he chose me. I know he's the right one because I had moved a way from him for a while and tried other deities and it just didn't feel the same. So I rely on the attachment that is already there. I also know he's right because when I look at his smiling image I feel happy. When I think of him I feel complete. I know it's sounds kind of out there but that is my experience.

I do keep a small shrine at home. On it I have a large murti of my deity (Sriman Narayana) and a smaller murti and a poster of Sri Sri Radha Govinda, a picture of the guruji I would like to take diksha from one day, a small yantra, and the supplies for doing puja (underneath)

You don't have to make any choices between sect and branch. You may want to eventually make a decision about being vaishnava or shaiva or shakti based on who you feel closest too but you don't need to. You also don't have to worry about branch unless you find someone you want to take initiation from and even then there may not be a clearly defined branch. I think a lot of worrying about branch is superficial. Instead focus on God and read the scriptures and it will become clear to you.

I see good benefits. Having the shrine and doing puja starts out my day on a very good note that carries over into my activities. There is something really special about doing puja as the sun rises :) Also it strenthens my relationship with God. Whenever I want to read scriptures or meditate I do so at the foot of the shrine and it creates a sacred space. This is especially useful when I'm having a bad day. I go an sit and maybe sing a bhajan and talk to God (you don't need an altar to do those things) and then I feel better.

Hari Aum!

Onkara

Thank you very much Madhuri, Santdasji and Krishnakanta.
It is useful, the nearest Hindu Temple is approximately 5 hours drive from where I live.

santdasji

Bhakt why dont you make a shrine at your home and worship God there as much as you can?As all the hours you may spend driving...could go into worshipping instead at home. God would be pleased too. You could cant and burn all the sins of many past lives as well at home.

Wannabe Yogi

There are many “Hindu Groups” who have little meetings all over the country. Many Hindu teachers do tours of the country Lots of times they advertise in magazines like Hinduism today and new age book shops and India restaurants. Keep your eyes open. If you post the large population centers near you maybe someone will know. Some times temples and teachers don't advertise.

Just try things out see what fits for you.

I have a Temple in my home.

No ! Just look around. I read books and did my own practice for two years before I found a teacher.

Many practicing Hindu’s do not do Puja. It is not a necessity. I enjoy doing it because I have found ( with me at least with my personality and mind ) it really calms down my thoughts . Then I am better able to meditate after I do puja, homa, or chanting. Before I started doing ritual worship I had the idea that it was the lowest form of Worship. It is my teacher who forced it on me. Now I am glad that its a part of my daily routine. Believe it or not there are even non-Dual pujas.

Wannabe Yogi

Thank you!
That last bit made my furry ears purk up. Would you be able to share any links or info about those?

Kind regards, Onkarah.

Some people do an internal puja that the total worship is mental with there eyes closed. There is none of the usual paraphernalia of worship.

When I was at the Sankara Math at Kanchi they do a puja early in the morning by opening the alter to a group of animals. Then they do puja to the animals. The meaning God is in all beings.

There is also a Tantric Worship called Samasti Upasana.

Samasti or Universal, infinite,beyond the senses.

Upasana means to set near the ideas of Vedanta.
( Very loose translation )

This is a worship or a meditation on the whole Cosmos. On the universal divinity IT SELF.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend onkarah,

How to do Puja and Hindu worship?

Many friends here have discussed the issue; however just would like to add a few from the personal understanding.

Prayer or Bhakti is another WAY.
WAY to merge with that universal, whole, supreme, god, etc.
As have mentioned earlier the merging happens between the individual and the universal when the mind is free of thoughts and as have explained about the workings of *mantras*; similarly prayer/bhakti is another indirect method of merging as in this one is trying to first focus or concentrate with the mind on any likeable image/form to steady the mind and then slowly when the mind gets tired and one remains awake the state is called the state of meditation or YOG in sanatan dharma when the mind becomes free of any thoughts even the form or name is no more there in the mind at that time the individual too is no more and the merging of the individual and the universal happens.
To reach this state one can follow various WAYs depending on the individual's choice.
One can follow Hath yog, bhakti yog, karma yog, raj yog, dyan yoga, etc. etc.
Bhakti yogis are those who do prayers and kirtans [singing hymns] or visit temples and conduct prayers. Praying is not compulsary that one needs to visit temples, one could create his one temple within his house or within his heart. Those who creates temples in their own heart can just pray at any time just by closing their eyes and focusing the image/form of god/universal/ whole/etc. in his heart and start praying.
Dhyan yoga too can be done anywhere, anytime. Dhyan or meditation is the best as one directly brings about awareness of the thoughts and in the presence of awareness/consciousness they shy away thus leaving that space in the mind which is free of thoughts

Love & rgds

Satsangi

Start with the Diety whose principal qualities you like or relate to. Then follow the mode of worship prescribed for the diety you like and live within the rules prescribed by the scriptures. But do not get fully attached to the methodology only; your love for the God is what matters the most. Alternatively, since devotion is your main interest, got to SwamiNarayan temple or ISCKON temple as these are more accessible in the West and read their founding scriptures.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Since someone mentioned Swaminarayan temple or isckon temples; just a word of caution.
Personally have been to both and found that the main deity at Isckon is Krishna and it allows all devotees to sing *bhajans* besides ample space is available at these temples to offer one's prayers, do bhajan etc.
At Swaminarayan temples all you find is Swaminarayan himself and there are no place where one can sit or pray to any deities there.
devotees normally visit temples to offer prayers or sing bhajans/kirtan [hymns] but the same is not available at Swaminarayan temples which visited both at Ahmedabad and Delhi and only exhibits of Swaminarayan, how he achieved enlightenment and his whole life history through beautiful exhibits with lights, sound, colours, props in clean well maintained environment except one may not find any actual place for worship or means to it.

Love & rgds

Onkara

Thank you Wannabe Yogi, Satsangi and Zenzero.
I have just managed to catch up with this post and appreciate the additions. I must mention that it is not that I am searching but rather opening my mind to different ways of understanding. The best way is to read your knowledgable opinions. Logically I am not the only one who may benefit, but I am grateful.

Thanks
Onkarah.

santdasji

Friends,

Since someone mentioned Swaminarayan temple or isckon temples; just a word of caution.
Personally have been to both and found that the main deity at Isckon is Krishna and it allows all devotees to sing *bhajans* besides ample space is available at these temples to offer one's prayers, do bhajan etc.
At Swaminarayan temples all you find is Swaminarayan himself and there are no place where one can sit or pray to any deities there.
devotees normally visit temples to offer prayers or sing bhajans/kirtan [hymns] but the same is not available at Swaminarayan temples which visited both at Ahmedabad and Delhi and only exhibits of Swaminarayan, how he achieved enlightenment and his whole life history through beautiful exhibits with lights, sound, colours, props in clean well maintained environment except one may not find any actual place for worship or means to it.

Love & rgds

I dont think this is correct. If you go to most of the temples of Swaminarayan Sampradai you will see that they house many forms of Bhagwan. Many of His incarnations are within the alters. Especially the Original Sampradai. So to state what you do would not only be inncorrect but also an understatement without factual reasoning.

Another thing i would like to point out is that just as a Shivalay would house only the murti of Shivji Or Shiv Parivar... its not wrong to see just Swaminarayan in a Swaminarayan temple anyway. However this is not the case anyway.