• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the image of a besieged and victimized Russia came to be so ingrained in the country’s psyche

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
How the image of a besieged and victimized Russia came to be so ingrained in the country's psyche

In a March 25, 2022, speech to Russia’s leading cultural figures, Putin asserted that all of these actions – whether military, economic or cultural – amount to a single, concentrated plan by the West to “cancel” Russia and “everything connected with Russia,” including its “thousand-year history” and its “people.”

The sweeping, uncompromising nature of his rhetoric may sound hyperbolic and even absurd to Western ears; however, in Russia that is not necessarily the case. Many people there seem to accept Putin’s premise, not just because it seems to fit present circumstances, but because the idea of the nation surrounded by its enemies has deep historical roots.

If I may comment, when new NATO members were added closer to Russia, this fueled this paranoia, and became a justification for invading Ukraine in the first place. Putin partly for this reason is actually more popular overall now, I understand, though some have protested against it at their own cost. The crackdown against dissent may be fueling some negative feelings, but in Russia, the strongman in charge is a long tradition there, so that dampens those feelings. The sanctions against Russia appear to many to be unjustified attacks on Russia by many there. Also the propaganda by state-controlled media has really helped. If Russia has any success in conquering some territory, this will be seen as many as a victory for Russia overall. Historically, nations have tended to rally around their leader during war. George W. Bush's popularly shot way up in the wake of 9/11 temporarily. Don't expect Putin to be overthrown because of this war.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How the image of a besieged and victimized Russia came to be so ingrained in the country's psyche

In a March 25, 2022, speech to Russia’s leading cultural figures, Putin asserted that all of these actions – whether military, economic or cultural – amount to a single, concentrated plan by the West to “cancel” Russia and “everything connected with Russia,” including its “thousand-year history” and its “people.”

The sweeping, uncompromising nature of his rhetoric may sound hyperbolic and even absurd to Western ears; however, in Russia that is not necessarily the case. Many people there seem to accept Putin’s premise, not just because it seems to fit present circumstances, but because the idea of the nation surrounded by its enemies has deep historical roots.

If I may comment, when new NATO members were added closer to Russia, this fueled this paranoia, and became a justification for invading Ukraine in the first place. Putin partly for this reason is actually more popular overall now, I understand, though some have protested against it at their own cost. The crackdown against dissent may be fueling some negative feelings, but in Russia, the strongman in charge is a long tradition there, so that dampens those feelings. The sanctions against Russia appear to many to be unjustified attacks on Russia by many there. Also the propaganda by state-controlled media has really helped. If Russia has any success in conquering some territory, this will be seen as many as a victory for Russia overall. Historically, nations have tended to rally around their leader during war. George W. Bush's popularly shot way up in the wake of 9/11 temporarily. Don't expect Putin to be overthrown because of this war.

The perception people have is more powerful in control of the masses than facts.
Some people are very good at controlling people perception.

The West did a lot to counter the perception that Putin tried to propagate to the world.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder what steps western countries are taking
to counter Russia's hermetically sealed news machine?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Historically, nations have tended to rally around their leader during war. George W. Bush's popularly shot way up in the wake of 9/11 temporarily. Don't expect Putin to be overthrown because of this war.
Tell that to Tsar Nicholas in 1905.

Putin's level of support coming out of this war will depend entirely on the war's outcome.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think it was rather optimistic of the West to expect the Russian nation, apart from those more enlightened, to suddenly embrace democracy wholesale after the fall of the USSR, given they had such a long time being oppressed. And if a nation cannot recognise or sense that they aren't receiving fair (free) news - as to which they decide as to its truth - then perhaps they deserve to live under a dictatorship. Especially so if they truly feel their nation is somehow more important than all others and hence will do horrendous things to ensure its future - as they see such. Like threatening to use nuclear weapons, for example. Which must go down as perhaps the most immoral behaviour possible. :oops:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Well, I think Russians are like Germans during WWII. Just replace "aryan race", with "slavic race". Whether the normal people agree or not, or know or know not, they are responsible. All of them. And like the Germans, they invaded a sovereign country, which is free to decide who it wants to ally with or not, and proceeded to exterminate their women and children. And whether the Germans knew or not, that is irrelevant. In the same way, it is irrelevant what the normal russian people believe.

Every country is responsible for the government it has, and the decisions it takes.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There is a history that people should know about but piercing the propaganda wall of Russia is hard. There was a path toward the future that involved increasing cooperation and a diminishing of the need for a separative NATO and could have resulted in Russia becoming a member. From a document I fouind:

Russia became a member of the North Atlantic Co-operation Council. In February 1992, for the first time in the history of NATO, its then Secretary General, Manfred Worner, visited Moscow. In June 1994, Russia officially joined Partnership for Peace (PfP). In July 1997, Moscow entered the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council. In February 1998, the NATO Documentation Centre was inaugurated in Moscow. Russia’s participation since early 1996 in the Implementation Force (IFOR) and then in the Stabilisation Force (SFOR) alongside NATO Allies are seen by many Western and Russian experts as a model for their military co-operation, especially in the peacekeeping field. Indeed, NATO and Russian troops have worked together effectively, sharing the risks and some success in a difficult mission.

Truthseeker

Putin's level of support coming out of this war will depend entirely on the war's outcome.
Latest I heard, there is an offensive that has increased that has increased the control of the Russians from 60% to 80% in the Luhansk region. More arms to aid Ukraine are going in there.

The thing is, Putin never said to his people that he was aiming to control all of Ukraine. If he does succeed in conquering a significant part of Ukraine, he will declare victory, and a lot of Russians I expect would believe that, though there's no telling how many.

Truthseeker

Well, I think Russians are like Germans during WWII. Just replace "aryan race", with "slavic race". Whether the normal people agree or not, or know or know not, they are responsible. All of them. And like the Germans, they invaded a sovereign country, which is free to decide who it wants to ally with or not, and proceeded to exterminate their women and children. And whether the Germans knew or not, that is irrelevant. In the same way, it is irrelevant what the normal russian people believe.

Every country is responsible for the government it has, and the decisions it takes.

Ciao

- viole
That, in my view, is being a little harsh on the Russian people. When Putin was elected, it wasn't clear to even Yeltsen what course Putin would take in advance, and since then Putin has been taking control of the media. In contrast, it was pretty much out in the open what kind of person Hitler was, and many Germans voted for him anyway.