• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is the universe?

Mr Cheese

I would agree with this but I find it interesting that it is those who do not believe in any of the Bible who want to take it so literally while some of us who use the Bible do not always do so ourselves but recognize some of its figurative lessons of which that ( six day creation) is such an excellent example. I would point out that the Big Bang and Hubble's observation of the expansion of the universe was scientific evidence of the creation of the universe as opposed to a popularly held theory that the universe had always existed. The Big Bang does nothing for atheism and only puts into doubt what is seen as only figurative by many believers. The same of course applys to Darwins evolution. Seen for what it is , a process, it does not in anyway question the existence of God when evolution is understood in its own context.To use an analogy, there is a process to baking and decorating a cake but after the process is complete no one says that the cake made itself or that the process of making the cake was the baker. The process and the baker are recognized as being independent of each other. And God I believe used evolution as His process for the developement of modern man. Some might say why but why a butterfly out of a caterpillar? Why not. I believe at the heart of the matter for many it is that their belief in God needs to be grounded in their understanding of God which is total futility. No one can possibly understand what is only partially known.

ok....

what is opartially known...right

what differentiates scripture (of any kind) from a novel or text book, is that the words and stories can be seen in MANY ways. My problem is the idea that their is only one way to see scripture. Take the days of creation..... many assume it is a literal series of days or spans of aeons, or similar. Another way is to look at the idea that the 7 days are the 7 directions that make up space... Kabbalah tends to do this.
I can post a wholly Judaic quotation from the 15th century that confirms this, if you want.

up
down
left
right
forward
back
"within"

Thus there are many ways to see scripture.... these are but a few.

People that believe in a literal 6 days of creation, tend to do so, as they have been taught what to think...and think there is no need to look for alternatives.

LittleNipper

That still doesn't make the idea of the universe being created in 6 days any more real....:facepalm:

Nor does an "educated guess" that the entire universe, and everything in it, was the end result of some spectacular but silent explosion of compacted matter become more real ---- or even logical...

Last edited:

LittleNipper

I've read 2,000+ year old writings on individuals using reason to measure the circumference of the Earth and other scientific endeavors. Do you not see the distinction between those using empiricism v. relying on tradition or authority.

Well, the earth certainly is round, it also hangs on nothing.

Mr Cheese

Nor does an "educated guess" that the entire universe, and everything in it, was the end result of some spectacular but silent explosion of compacted matter become more real ---- or even logical...

its far more logical than saying:

Its in the bible, so it must be true.

Bible literalism is a product of only a few centuries, i.e. the application of the bible being seen literally is somethign people have really been only doing for a few centuries. The readers 2 or more more thousand years ago, would not have taken scripture at such a limited stance alone, as you do.

The idea that the earth or even the universe, afterall that IS what this topic is about, was created in a literal six days (some time before the fall of man...as you say) is simply idiotic. It takes far more than 6 days for a lump of rock to form for example, let alone the stars....

Of course you are entitled to your view point, but in a scientific forum, or context in this case, don't be surprised if people laugh at you; your stance is one of scripture and doctrine, it is in no way scientific or simply logical at all. This only illustrates the idea that fundamentalists, of any kind, simply do not think...... Even the vatican denounces the idea of a literal 6 days as stupid.

Mr Cheese

That is questionable. The Egyptians and the Hittites would seem to surpass India.

Bible scripture is from near the end of ancient Egypt....

Your point is superfluous
[edit] Iron Age

Iron Age texts predating Classical Antiquity (12th to 8th centuries BC):
Ancient literature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
actually no....

the real smart ones know everything is a compramise...

it is a means to an end. Science knows, the map is not the territory. So do all the people accused of ignorance.

of course many assume the map is the territory, but if one digs deep enugh, science, philosophy, math etc etc all know, its a compramise....an approximation.

Science does not deal with the truth...thats the the truth:p

Yeh i'm aware of that, but its not that simple. Lets go with digging.

If you dig deep enough you'll hit bedrock. However, whats between there and the surface is often hard to tell. Geological tests will omit dense layers overlying less dense and more susceptible to movement layers. When buildings are constructed, do you think they dig down to bedrock to make sure everything is ok? Definately not. Its a massive approximation.

What i was trying to say is that if you can't know for sure, and approximation isn't good enough (for theologians in regards to science it never is), criticisers should never enter concrete footed houses :)

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
What i was trying to say is that if you can't know for sure, and approximation isn't good enough (for theologians in regards to science it never is), criticisers should never enter concrete footed houses :)

That is funny because evidence for the existence of God (Thread by PureX), is never good enough to even count as evidence (not proof mind you...just evidence of), for atheist. But any evidence at all (regardless of how stupid it is) against the existence is openly accepted. Just an observation.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
That is funny because evidence for the existence of God (Thread by PureX), is never good enough to even count as evidence (not proof mind you...just evidence of), for atheist. But any evidence at all (regardless of how stupid it is) against the existence is openly accepted. Just an observation.

Evidence in science always has a leg to stand on. Biblical evidence does not.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Evidence in science always has a leg to stand on. Biblical evidence does not.

He (PureX) had a sound argument, that had nothing to do with the Bible. As I said it is not proof of existence but some well thought out (non-biblical) evidence.

mordorf

The universe is about 13 billion years old.. science have come to that conclusion when they have followed the cosmic microwave background..
And for now scientists can't come any closer to the big bang more than a planck epoch wich is 10−43 seconds after the big bang happend..

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
He (PureX) had a sound argument, that had nothing to do with the Bible. As I said it is not proof of existence but some well thought out (non-biblical) evidence.

Well thought is equivalent to fabricating BS. There is no evidence of something that is not there (yet/revealed).