• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much power should government have?

blackout

Violet.
In the name of "protection" we could lose almost every freedom we have.

I say less protection.... more freedom.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
In the name of "protection" we could lose almost every freedom we have.

I say less protection.... more freedom.

:D I agree.

Is what little protection that is offered worth all of the laws which inhibit our freedom? I don't know because it's the only way of life that I know, but I would like to try out the having more freedom way, just to see which is better.

jrbogie

How much power do you think a freely elected democratic government should have over its citizens and businesses etc.

simply put, the government should have those powers that "we the people" allow in our constitution. our laws and that constitution should limit the government in it's power to the minimum necessary as determined by the representatives that we elect to office. it's an error to suggest that our government is a democracy. the constitution created a 'representative republic'.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
How much power do you think a freely elected democratic government should have over its citizens and businesses etc.
However much their basic rules (like the U.S.'s Constitution and Bill of Rights) allow them to, without them changing those rules or picking and choosing which rules to follow to their advantage.

As much as the people vote for them.

The Founding Fathers argued for a Constitution and the Anti-Federalists argued for a Bill of Rights specifically stated in the Federalist Papers that such a document should exist so that when the people cried out for tyranny the Constitution would deny it to them.

Too bad the Democrats have never read the Constitution.

Obama calls himself a Constitutional Scholar, clearly he is not.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Too bad the Democrats have never read the Constitution.
holy-facepalm.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a Social Contract. "The People" cede some of their freedoms to a co-ordinating body for the purpose of improving their general lot.

There is always a pernicious tendency for government to morph into an entity unto itself, though, seeking to better itself at the expense of "the People;" to seek glory, personal power and riches; domination of neighboring governments.

Government must be closely monitored. It must be kept to its function as a servant of the people. Politicians must be kept in their place. They are "the help" -- organizers, co-ordinators.
Never let them presume to become "leaders!"

Last edited by a moderator: