• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Do You Doubt God's Existence?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Im atheist and out the other side... ;-). I am 100% certain no gods exist.

I base it on all the things in this universe, on this world, in this life that have no need for a god or gods. There are many evidences that i believe show no god exists.
I wager you can't name one.

I believe God does not need people's needs to exist.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I'd say it's a practical certainty that no gods exist.

The only scenarios where I could imagine a god existing are "brain in a vat"-type scenarios where all evidence and sensory input I experience are false things being fed to me. How do I calculate the odds that I'm a brain in a vat? I have no idea.

Personally, I usually find it more useful to put my level of certainty on a relative scale: I'm more certain that gods don't exist than I am that leprechauns don't exist, for instance.

Some versions of God are logically self-contradictory. For those ones, I have complete certainty that they don't exist.

The ones that are only externally inconsistent are the ones where there's only practical uncertainty, since I can never be perfectly sure that reality is as it appears (again: brains in vats).

Everything I've ever seen or experienced is perfectly consistent with no gods existing.
I believe that is like Platos people in a cave.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I wager you can't name one.

I believe God does not need people's needs to exist.

1/ No god is required to form galaxies
2/ No god is required to form planets
I could go on but 2 will do.

You are welcome to your belief, i believe gods are a figment of the imagination. Perhaps you consider i am welcome to my belief... Or perhaps not.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I believe it would be like saying that life on earth came from meteorites.
Since amino acids have been found on meteors and asteroids it is plausible they came from elsewhere in space.

What can't be found is any God.

After all we have the remains of meteorites as evidence so that makes the theory true, right?
It is part of the facts that the building blocks of life can explain how life emerged and evolved.

What isn't in any collection of facts is any creation by a supernatural.

Bear Wild

You must have misread. What I said was that in my Book it says that He died for you and me. But that is the Book I subscribe to. Which one do you subscribe to? (If any)
There is no book that can hold the wisdom of the Well of Segais nor the Yggdrasil with its spring at its base.

Bear Wild

Well… of course you are asking in reference to my Book. Jesus is The Word so, in essence, any time God spoke - it was The Word.

It started all the way back in Genesis 3:15 with Adam and Eve from whom all, as you call it, races come from. From the beginning He made a blood covenant that followed human kind where the Redeemer would crush the serpents head.

It is man who wants to divide people into “races” when there is, in reality, only one race—the human race.

It then goes to Abraham where God (The Word) spoke with His own voice that through Him (the seed) all the nations would be blessed with the the type and shadow of the stopped sacrifice of Isaac, where there was a substitute, on the same mountain that Jesus was sacrificed—if but a stone throw away.(maybe closer?)

So when God said “As far as the east is from the west, so far I placed your transgression” - that is pretty clear enough for me. “For God so loved the world” is pretty inclusive too.
Jus to make sure I understand the reply does not include the words from Jesus saying he died everyone.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Is not God Alpha and Omega according to Quran? How can he be dead?

"huwa al-awalu wal-akhiru wal-zahiru wal-batinu wahuwa bikulli shayin alimun" Surah Al-Hadid, Quran 57.3
(He is the First (nothing is before Him) and the Last (nothing is after Him), the Most High (nothing is above Him) and the Most Near (nothing is nearer than Him). And He is the All-Knower of every thing.)
I was discouss your idea, God can anything, even had shape human or animal "idols".
In Islam God is one, never be idol or human shape or had son.

Allah never dead.

Hawkins

Is there any room in your belief to doubt God exists?
Or do you believe in God with 100% certainty?

If you're agnostic does that mean you believe there is a 50% chance God exists and a 50% chance he doesn't?

If you don't believe in God or gods are you 100% certain there is no God(s)? 90%, 70%?

If you believe in more than one God are there some gods you don't believe in? How certain that these gods you don't believe in don't exist?

What do you base this percentage of non-belief on?

Though I can't say that there are wrong questions, there could be better asked questions.

Question 1 is, if God exists then how would you know?
Question 2 is, does this God, if exists, concern me or not? (if a god doesn't concern you then he can be ignored even exists)
Question 3 is, what do you need a god for, at the end? (i.e., if he concerns you)
Question 4 is, if a god is needed then what he should do to fulfill your that "need"?

1. how would you know
the most efficient way for a powerful god to do is, to show up in front of humans! if not then you have to ask the next question, why a much more powerful god has to hide from humans. Did he ever provide a reason which is deemed acceptable?

Now if this god has an undeniable reason to hide behind, then what would be the next most efficient way to let you know his existence?

Example,
The Christianity God has a mutual Covenant with humans saying that humans need Faith to be saved. He then can't show up publicly or else humans can approach Him without faith. If so then humans are no longer savable in accordance to the Covenant between God and men.

That begs the question that what would be the next most efficient way for the truth of His existence to be conveyed to humans?
The next most efficient way for God's truth to convey to humans is through the same way how every single truth is conveyed. There's methodology employed by humans to convey all sort of truth without exception. God employed the same way to convey His truth. Humans are blinded to be fully aware of this methodology of truth conveying but employ it on a daily basis and on everything!

As a result, if this unique methodology is brought to your awareness, you may believe with more certainty. That is, there is something which humans use all the times for everything without their own knowledge, yet the God employs it too (implies that this god knows what humans as a whole don't know).

There is a such a methodology, so go figure it out (i.e., to bring it to your full awareness, you made use of it on a daily basis and on almost everything)!

(This is even prophesied, "the god of this world has blinded the minds of ... that they cannot see... why the gospel is a necessity", sorta. So by the time you can tell the necessity of this gospel, you may be up to something!)

2. can this god be ignored
In Christianity then, the god said that there is a covenant between God and men and a Judgment will follow to see one is "saved or not". It means you can't choose to ignore Him (if He exists), while He not only concerns you but also is tied to your death or life!

3. why do you need a god at all
The same as why do you need a job, with a pension plan why you are growing old. It is so because it's a human responsibility to take care of one's own future. The government/laws may force you to join a pension plan in case you don't know what responsibility is.

That begs the question that do we humans have a future after death, which needs our responsible preparation? If, by faith I must say, you presumed that such a future doesn't exist, then you will give up preparing for it. So you made such a decision on your presumption, by faith I must say (unless you count the absence of evidence as the evidence of absence).

This is where a god is for. We humans can't tell if such a future exists. We presume by faith on the two options, namely, this future exists or it doesn't exist. We stopped preparing with the faith that it doesn't exist (a stance of the atheists). We look for the gods to see what options lying in front of us, if we choose not to presume the non-existence. That's the basic stance of Gnosticism.

It's out of human capability to know and confirm a future, that's why we need someone who knows to tell us. That's the stance of what theism is. You need a god because he knows your future which you need to know! That's why you need a god for as a necessity. You need a god to guide your daily life? This is not a necessity. You are safe without a god's guidance. But you are not safe if this god has a Judgment for you.

4. what this god should do to get you informed of his requirements as well as his existence
That actually goes back to Question 1. If this god has a critical message for you, which ties to your death and life (such that you can't choose to ignore him), then he should choose the most efficient way possible to convey the message, such as to make use of a methodology which humans use to convey all kinds of truths on a daily basis!

One of the crucial parts of this methodology demands that, if the critical message from this god is aimed on all humans (or else he can be ignored), he should convey the message in a human-facing manner! The deity of Christianity has an explicit command that "the gospel (message) must be preached (conveyed) to all nations (making it human-facing which is closely tied to the efficiency of how a truth shall convey). Do other gods have the equivalent command? That's the next question!

An analogy is, if the US government has a crucial message for its citizens what should it do. It should employ a US-facing media to broadcast the message. It shouldn't broadcast only in Russia in the hope that the message can reach all citizens in the US. Similarly if a god has a message for all mankind (else he can be ignored), he shouldn't have left his message in India only! (in this case he might have a message for the Indians but not you, he doesn't concern you)

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

the most efficient way for a powerful god to do is, to show up in front of humans! if not then you have to ask the next question, why a much more powerful god has to hide from humans..
G-d does not "hide" .. G-d makes Himself known to whomsoever He wills.
..but as G-d is not a person, it is not as straightforward as you might imagine.

What would it mean to "show up in front of humans"? What would you expect G-d to look like? :)

Hawkins

G-d does not "hide" .. G-d makes Himself known to whomsoever He wills.
..but as G-d is not a person, it is not as straightforward as you might imagine.

What would it mean to "show up in front of humans"? What would you expect G-d to look like? :)

If God is capable, and He has a crucial message for humans then what do you expect Him to do? He should come forward to inform each human individuals about his presence and what His important message is, agree?

Now the question for you is, has any god done that before? That is, came forward to inform each human individual about His presence and His important message for humans.

Since there's no such a god coming forward to keep each human informed of His important message, the chances are,
1) God doesn't exist
2) He exists but He doesn't have an important message for humans
3) He has a special reason not to come forward to each and every human to tell him God's truth

If it's 1) then nothing more to be discussed.
If it's 2) then God is irrelevant. We humans don't need to believe or know anything from God as He has no message for us at all.

If it's 3) then, we may need to work out what possible reason that God doesn't come forward to tell us, each of us, about His godly message.

Now last but not least, has your God provided a valid reason not to come forward to tell everyone His important message which requires human kind to know of?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Jus to make sure I understand the reply does not include the words from Jesus saying he died everyone.
I think you didn’t read what I said. Luke 24:45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

there is tis… all nations

So, in our story, it is me, you and the world

Last edited: