• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many 'kinds' of Hinduism are there?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Since coming here I see people referencing a lot of different types of the Sanatana Dharma and am interested if there is something as specific as a list or general sphere of ideas that could comprise a quasi-list of schools/sects.

Vedanta is something I have read about as well much before this, but see it's much more specific that I first thought.

How does Vedanta fit into the history of The Dharma?

I could look this all up on Wikipedia or something, but it's much more fun to interact with real people

:namaste
SageTree

Last edited:

Arav

Jain
Here is an overview of the main schools

Vaisnavism- Worship of Visnu or his Avatars. There is also some forms of Vaisnavism that focus completely on Krsna saying that he is Svayam Bhagavan, or God Himself. One school that focusus mainly on Krsna as Svayam Bhagavan is Gaudiya Vaisnavism. There is also the Ramanandi sect, Madhva's philosophy is Vaishnava and so is Ramanuja's.

Saivism- Saivism is the worship of Siva as the supreme. There is Pasupati Saivism, Advaita Isvaravada Saivism, Kasmir Saivism, and many others. Most stress the oneness of Jiva and Siva, but the Dvaita Saiva Siddantins are an exception.

Saktism- Sakta worship and revere the divine mother as Parabrahman, or the Supreme Absolute. They use vaious forms of worship, Yantras, Mantras, Meditations, and some Saktas use Vamachara Tantra, but not all.

Smartism- Smartism's origin is from Adi Shankara and most Smartas follow his philosophy of Advaita, or Non-Dualism. This is, according to my knowledge, one of the only forms of Hinduism that does NOT accept converts .Though there are a few exeptions.

Those are the four main schools. A fifth school is beginning to arise that is based on Ganesha being the supreme. Im not sure what it is called though.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
excellent, heading out the door to volunteer, but can't wait to get back and read more of what you wrote.

SageTree

kaisersose

Smartism- Smartism's origin is from Adi Shankara and most Smartas follow his philosophy of Advaita, or Non-Dualism. This is, according to my knowledge, one of the only forms of Hinduism that does NOT accept converts .Though there are a few exeptions.

Not clear what you mean by converts.

Traditional Vedanta Schools will not accept non-Brahmins. Within them, it used to be possible for a Smarta Brahmin to switch over to Dvaita,etc. I suppose it is still possible, though such movement would be exceedingly rare. Organizations that have relatively recent origins like Ramakrishna Mutt, Gauidya, etc., are not discriminating and all are welcome.

Hindu branches do not support the concept of "conversion" as found in Semitic religions. A Vaishnava can become a Shaiva and vice-versa without any formal approval or rite.

Arav

Jain

Traditional Vedanta Schools will not accept non-Brahmins. Within them, it used to be possible for a Smarta Brahmin to switch over to Dvaita,etc. I suppose it is still possible, though such movement would be exceedingly rare. Organizations that have relatively recent origins like Ramakrishna Mutt, Gauidya, etc., are not discriminating and all are welcome.

Hindu branches do not support the concept of "conversion" as found in Semitic religions. A Vaishnava can become a Shaiva and vice-versa without any formal approval or rite.

What I mean by conversion is a non-Hindu comming into Hinduism.

Wannabe Yogi

All very true. Smarta at one time were only brahmins but today there are many groups that except the smarta view, which is the dominate view expressed in universities today. Also many Smarta beliefs have been excepted in many Shiva and Shakti schools of thought. An example of this Adi Sankara Poem Soundarya Lahari is used by most Tantrics in the interpretation of the Sri Yantra a very common yantra in Hinduism. Many Shiva Bhaktas also see Sankara as an Incarnation of the Lord Shiva. The whole thing becomes very convoluted and hard for us westerners to understand when you ask some educated hindus about their sect. They might say they are Vaishnava then after further questioning you will find out they are smarta's who worship Vishnu as their Ishta. I found a whole temple in Orissa made up of this type of Vishnu Bhaktas.

Some of the most Important Vaishnava pilgrimage sites are because of Adi Sankara. The Temples of Jagannath, Dwarka, and Badrinath are important centers because, Sankaracharya set them up and created there rituals.

Then if you walk out to the villages there is just a million sects that can't be categorized.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

You are talking about the Smarta Brahmins not the Smarta Philosophy.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
So post #2 pretty much nailed it for everyone since the topic move quickly back to labels, lol?!

:D

If it's so. thanks for your replies.

SageTree

bhaktajan

I found an except of what Bhaktivedanta Swami has explained:

The Hindus call themselves followers of the Vedas. Some say they follow the
Sama Veda, and some say they follow the Rg Veda. Different people claim to
follow different sections of the Vedas, but in fact for the most part they are
not followers of the Vedas because they do not follow the rules and regulations
of the Vedas.

Therefore Lord Caitanya says that since the so-called followers of
the Vedas perform all kinds of sinful activities, the number of actual followers
of the Vedas is very small; and even among this small, exclusive number, most
are addicted to the processes described in the Vedas' karma-kanda section, by
which one can elevate oneself to the perfectional stage of economic development.

The strict followers of the karma-kanda portions of the Vedas perform various
sacrifices for worship of different demigods in order to achieve particular
material results. Out of many millions of such worshipers, some may actually
engage in the process of understanding the Supreme, the Absolute Truth.

They are called jnanis. Perfection for a jnani lies in attaining the stage of brahmabhuta,
or self-realization. Only after self-realization is attained does the
stage of understanding devotional service begin. The conclusion is that one can
begin the process of devotional service, or bhakti, when one is actually selfrealized.
One who is in the bodily concept of existence cannot understand the
process of devotional service.

Last edited:

bhaktajan

Here is two seperate verses of the Gita that are apropo to this thread:

sri bhagavan uvaca
idam tu te guhyatamam
pravaksyamy anasuyave
jnanam vijnana-sahitam
yaj jnatva moksyase 'subhat

"The Supreme Lord said: My dear Arjuna, because you are never
envious of Me, I shall impart to you this most secret wisdom, knowing
which you shall be relieved of the miseries of material existence." (Bg.9.1)

The opening words of the Ninth Chapter of Bhagavad-gita indicate
that the Supreme Godhead is speaking. Here Sri Krsna is referred to as
Bhagavan. Bhaga means opulences, and van means one who possesses. We
have some conception of God, but in the Vedic literature there are
definite descriptions and definitions of what is meant by God, and what
is meant is described in one word--Bhagavan.

Bhagavan possesses all opulences, the totality of knowledge, wealth, power,
beauty, fame and renunciation. When we find someone who possesses these
opulences in full, we are to know that he is God. There are many rich, wise, famous,
beautiful and powerful men, but no one man can claim to possess all of
these opulences. Only Krsna claims to possess them in totality.

bhoktaram yajna-tapasam
sarva-loka-mahesvaram
suhrdam sarva-bhutanam
jnatva mam santim rcchati

"The sages, knowing Me as the ultimate purpose of all sacrifices
and austerities, the Supreme Lord of all planets and demigods and the
benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities, attain peace from the
pangs of material miseries." (Bg. 5.29)

Here Krsna proclaims that He is the enjoyer of all activities and
the proprietor of all planets (sarva-loka-mahesvaram). An individual may
possess a large tract of land, and he may be proud of his ownership, but
Krsna claims to possess all planetary systems. Krsna also claims to be
the friend of all living entities (suhrdam sarva-bhutanam).

When a person understands that God is the proprietor of everything, the friend
of everyone and the enjoyer of all, he becomes very peaceful. This is
the actual peace formula. No one can have peace as long as he thinks, "I
am the proprietor." Who is capable of claiming proprietorship?

---translation & commentary by Bhaktivedanta Swami

Last edited:

Surya Deva

I think there are really only two kinds of Hinduism if you look at it historically

Vedic Hinduism, also known as Vedic dharma or Santana dharma. This is the eternal religion, has no human authorship or beginning. It is based on natural law. This accepts only Nirguna Brahman(formless, absolute, infinite, pure being) and believes Atman(self) is identical with Brahman(Aham Brahmasmi, Tat Tvam Asi, Ayam Atma Brahma, Pranjnana Brahma) The methods of attaining self-realization are Yoga sadhana. In addition to this it accepts devas as natural powers or universal principles that are sacred which are acknowledged through the symbolic act of yagya. One must live in accordance with the universal principles in order to win their blessings and gain spiritual and material wealth. Associated with Vedic Hinduism are the sad darshanas(6 schools of Hindu philosophy) which are rational explanations of Vedic doctrines using a scientific method and are there to aid both the individual and the society to reach its maximum potentials.

This is the path of Jnana.

Puranic Hinduism is the Hinduism that emerged later. It is a man-made Hinduism and hence has a beginning. This accepts Saguna Brahman(human images of god) It is divided into Vaishavaism, Sivaism and Shaktism, each of which are distinguished from one another because they have accepted a different human image of god(god as Vishnu, god as Siva, God as Divine mother) Each of these sects have their own mythologies(puranas), symbols, art forms, festivals, temples, rituals. They all are all about developong a personal relationship to god(thus they invent personalities to worship)

This is the path of Bhakti.

Jnana is the original Hinduism and has a history of 8000 years. Bhakti is a recent development and only has a history of 2000 years. However, Bhakti/Puranic Hinduism is by no means a replacement of Jnana/Vedic Hinduism, Jnana/Vedic Hinduism is still the philosophical core of Purana/Bhakti Hinduism. Unfortunately, many modern Hindus do not realise this and exclusively practice Bhakti only.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

This accepts Saguna Brahman(human images of god) It is divided into Vaishavaism, Sivaism and Shaktism, each of which are distinguished from one another because they have accepted a different human image of god(god as Vishnu, god as Siva, God as Divine mother)

This is false most followers of Siva and Shakti are monists event though they have an Image they are not Monotheists.

Chapter 3 of the Mahanirvana Tantra

Ong! I bow to Thee, the eternal Refuge of all:

I bow to Thee, the pure Intelligence manifested in the universe.

I bow to Thee Who in His essence is One and Who grants liberation.

I bow to Thee, the great, all-pervading attributeless One (59).

Thou art the only Refuge and Object of adoration.

The whole universe is the appearance of Thee Who art its Cause.

Thou alone art Creator, Preserver, Destroyer of the world.

Thou art the sole immutable Supreme, Who art neither this nor that (6o);

Dread of the dreadful, Terror of the terrible.

Refuge of all beings, Purificator of all purificators.

Thou alone rulest the high-placed ones,

Supreme over the supreme, Protector of the Protectors (61).

O Supreme Lord in Whom all things are, yet Unmanifest in all,

Imperceptible by the senses, yet the very truth.

Incomprehensible, Imperishable, All-pervading hidden Essence.

Lord and Light of the Universe! save us from harm (62).

On that One alone we meditate, that One alone we in mind worship,

To that One alone the Witness of the Universe we bow.

Refuge we seek with the One Who is our sole Eternal Support,

The Self-existent Lord, the Vessel of safety in the ocean of being (63).

This is the five-jewelled hymn to the Supreme Soul.

-Translated by Arthur Avalon. (Sir John Woodroffe).

Last edited:

Surya Deva

I never said they were not monotheists. In the Vaishnava, Siva and Shatra sects you can have a whole mixture of monists, monotheists, henotheists, pantheists, dualists and everything in between. However all of these sects work with a Saguna Brahman - a human image.

bhaktajan

most followers of Siva and Shakti are monists event though they have an Image they are not Monotheists.

OMG I agree 1,000%.
I have been saying this repeatedly, and my Hindu Cousins would be aghast at my statements.

It is my greatest lament that Advaitists argue TO ME about Lord Shiva's relationship to Vishnu . . . yada yada yada . . . and then revealing at the end that they are Advaitists, usually via Shankaracarya's writtings, and then finally revealing that they can become equal to Shiva; or worse, they are seeking moksha that extinguishes they jiva-atma & merges them into an impersonal state of stasis . . . ""Just Like Lord Shiva""!!!

Whereas, as per my readings of Bhagavata-purana, Lord Shiva is a person. Lord Shiva is a person. Lord Shiva is a person.

Wannabe Yogi

I never said they were not monotheists. In the Vaishnava, Siva and Shatra sects you can have a whole mixture of monists, monotheists, henotheists, pantheists, dualists and everything in between. However all of these sects work with a Saguna Brahman - a human image.

According Advaita Saguna Brahman is Nirguna Brahman mixed with maya not a personal image. So your definition is incorrect when it comes to Vedanta.

It is also incorrect to say that all images are Saguna Brahman. Believe it or not some images are philosophic explanations of Nirguna Brahman.
I will give you just one example of this type of Murti.

Both Images and words cannot describe Nirguna Brahman at best both are fingers pointing to the truth.

kali.jpg

Kali is Shakti or Pirkriti, Shiva is Consciousness or purusha together they are Absolute Brahman. Shiva or Consciousness is experinceing the dance of his wife Maya. This image is a philosophic meditation on the nature of reality and not just an Anthropomorphic image of God. Each weapon and worship paraphernalia of Kali and Shiva have a philosophic meaning on how to realize Tat Tvam Asi. Many people have used this type of Image to realize TRUTH.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

OMG I agree 1,000%.
I have been saying this repeatedly, and my Hindu Cousins would be aghast at my statements.

""Just Like Lord Shiva""!!!

Whereas, as per my readings of Bhagavata-purana, Lord Shiva is a person. Lord Shiva is a person. Lord Shiva is a person.

Advaita does not teach jivas will become Ishvara but ONE with Nirguna Brahman.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

I would say that the majority of Siva and Tantric sampradas teach Monism. There are some groups that could be categorized as henotheists or dualists

Wannabe Yogi

I think there are really only two kinds of Hinduism if you look at it historically

Vedic Hinduism, also known as Vedic dharma or Santana dharma. This is the eternal religion, has no human authorship or beginning. It is based on natural law. This accepts only Nirguna Brahman(formless, absolute, infinite, pure being) and believes Atman(self) is identical with Brahman(Aham Brahmasmi, Tat Tvam Asi, Ayam Atma Brahma, Pranjnana Brahma) The methods of attaining self-realization are Yoga sadhana.

This statement is also false. Yoga Darsana and Vedantic Darsana are two different schools of thought.

Jnana is the original Hinduism and has a history of 8000 years. Bhakti is a recent development and only has a history of 2000 years.

Both Bhakti and Jnana can be found in the Vedas.

The Svestasvatara Upanishad uses the word Bhakti (6.23) and teaches self-surrender as a path to truth.(6.18)

The Rig Veda also teaches Bhakti. In one place it even says God seeks his devotees. (6.47.17)

There are many verses that I can quote from to prove my point.

The Vedas even speak of Sages who make Murtis as a living !

I would agree with you that path of Jnana is more common in the Vedas. Still Bhakti is a part of Hinduism Sankara even wrote poems about it.

bhaktajan

Advaita does not teach jivas will become Ishvara but Nirguna Brahman.

I'm sure someone will appreciate your advocacy of their path.

But, the strange subtle clarification you cite is
a] technically correct,

yet

b] I cannot believe that the term, 'Ishvara' (God as 'controller') is a term used in Advaita.

So am I to be informed that Advaitas do not use the term "Ishvara"?
Because advaitists are taught there is no Ishvara known as thee singular Almighty God?

**Hence, for the advaitist, since there is no God-Almighty ---there is no God to aspire to**. Correct?

**Hence, for the advaitist, Nirguna Brahman is not God, and they themselves are not in competition with anyone . . . the goal of the advaitist is retirement from existence**. Correct?

Bhakti and Jnana

Irregardless of the multitude of variant "means",
is not the 'common' or 'uniquely singular' "Goal" most important,
and thus, the most pertenent revelation of Hinduism's gift to the world?

Many Kinds of Hinduism = different "Goals"????

How many 'kinds' of Goals are there in Hinduism.

Last edited: