• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how many gods?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
"One god, many names/faces" doesn't work with polytheism because we have gods interacting with one another, marrying one another, and birthing one another. It's not a scenario of "Tuesday God is Tyr, Wednesday their Krishna". That's a polytheism that's so soft the only proper name I can think for it would be liquid polytheism.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Hinduism is actually monistic. There is only one impersonal God called Brahman.

There are 33 million gods and goddesses who are said to have sprung from Brahman.

As I understand it, some of the views in Hinduism about the gods 'springing from Brahman' could qualify as polytheistic. Do the Devas necessarily have to be synonymous with Brahman in total? In Advaita perhaps. How about Bhedabheda or Dvaita though?

In Bhedabheda Vedanta (the one I'm currently studying), the Devas could as easily be different and not different than Brahman like we are- by having a Jivatman.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I see no `gods`, but a lot of` idols`, and make-up.......
not too forget the colors !!!
I also see the Spirit that is dwelling amongst them.
Where is that Nirvana ? Wrong religion ?
They're all the same possibly, except no idols or gods !
Just Life and Stuff and the Cosmos,
and our Spirits, invincible as they are.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
there are polytheistic religions, like hinduism and paganism. but how many are the gods? is it possible to know the number, or the answer is just ''many gods''?

Certainly it's possible to know the answer via asking God to explain Himself, and He shall!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to add that knowing the number of gods as a polytheist is not important (or at least I'm not aware of any tradition that regards it as important). What's important is recognizing that there are many valid subjects of worship, and that these subjects of worship are not the same or interchangeable with one another.

ajay0

As I understand it, some of the views in Hinduism about the gods 'springing from Brahman' could qualify as polytheistic. Do the Devas necessarily have to be synonymous with Brahman in total? In Advaita perhaps. How about Bhedabheda or Dvaita though?

That is what the Vedas say, and there are stories in the upanishads which emphasis this common substratum of Brahman within each deva.

In Bhedabheda Vedanta (the one I'm currently studying), the Devas could as easily be different and not different than Brahman like we are- by having a Jivatman.

Bhedabheda is on the rungs in the ladder from dvaita to advaita. The dualistic aspects are emphasized for those who are not able to appreciate the nondualistic aspect of Advaita in the beginning itself.

To state that everything is one to a beginner would appear bizarre and confusing to him. Imho, these vedantic philosophies were created to ensure that those who were in the dualistic stages of consciousness had philosophies they could subscribe to . Such philosophies had also devotion to Saguna Brahman ( personal God) as their themes, whereas the same is absent in Advaita Vedanta which focusses on Nirguna Brahman (impersonal God)

outlawState

Deism is dead
there are polytheistic religions, like hinduism and paganism. but how many are the gods? is it possible to know the number, or the answer is just ''many gods''?
I would suppose theoretically an infinite number, because gods reproduce with goddesses and they can do that for the rest of eternity, producing ever more offspring. What I find strange about the pagan religions is why they don't allow for ongoing reproduction. Everything seems fixed at a point in time, but logically it should not be so.

Reactions: syo

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would suppose theoretically an infinite number, because gods reproduce with goddesses and they can do that for the rest of eternity, producing ever more offspring. What I find strange about the pagan religions is why they don't allow for ongoing reproduction. Everything seems fixed at a point in time, but logically it should not be so.

Perhaps because of what you pointed out. Gods are eternal in most beliefs, not just now, but before humanities time too. There logically should be an infinite number of gods now if they can reproduce at will and humanity does not deal with that concept too well.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The count of the many, many `gods`, exceeds the boundry of the Cosmos.
All sheltering in the width of one's imagination, and everyone has their own.
All invisable behind the painted colors of worship, and the spirit hides.

syo

The count of the many, many `gods`, exceeds the boundry of the Cosmos.
All sheltering in the width of one's imagination, and everyone has their own.
All invisable behind the painted colors of worship, and the spirit hides.
not exactly ''imaginary''. gods are the prototypes, and us mortals are the copies. a rock is a copy. the god-rock is the prototype. without the god-rock, a rock couldn't exist.