• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how many gods?

syo

there are polytheistic religions, like hinduism and paganism. but how many are the gods? is it possible to know the number, or the answer is just ''many gods''?

ajay0

there are polytheistic religions, like hinduism and paganism. but how many are the gods? is it possible to know the number, or the answer is just ''many gods''?

Hinduism is actually monistic. There is only one impersonal God called Brahman.

There are 33 million gods and goddesses who are said to have sprung from Brahman.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris, Arya Samajis, Lingayats, Brahmo Samajis which are sects of Hinduism are monotheistic in contrast.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I bet there are creatures in neighboring galaxies,
thinking the same thing !
:cool:

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I'm of the impression that there aren't any gods, but if you really wanted, and I mean really wanted, you could theoretically count all the gods. Just open a mythology textbook and get to countin'.

Reactions: syo

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm of the impression that there aren't any gods, but if you really wanted, and I mean really wanted, you could theoretically count all the gods. Just open a mythology textbook and get to countin'.
Geez, by the time you're done there, you'd have met the grim reaper and conned them into along counting with you.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Once you think you've counted them all, there will be one more.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Not sure and probably not possible to know for certain.

Hinduism is actually monistic. There is only one impersonal God called Brahman.

There are 33 million gods and goddesses who are said to have sprung from Brahman.

So... yeah. Your above description depicts Hinduism as polytheistic.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Hinduism entails soft polytheism and hard polytheism. I daresay the rural areas of India are more hard polytheistic. People there may have no idea of what Brahman is. They only know the local gods, whom they may believe to be as distinct as you and I are. Native-born Indians here could probably better respond.

ajay0

All these gods are worshipped as manifestions of Brahman.

Saraswati is worshipped as Brahman dealing with knowledge, while Ganapati is worshipped as Brahman clearing out obstacles from one's path.

Every mantra to a god or goddess starts with Om, which is symbolic of Brahman. So it is essentially monistic though it would appear polytheistic on the outside.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
All these gods are worshipped as manifestions of Brahman.

Saraswati is worshipped as Brahman dealing with knowledge, while Ganapati is worshipped as Brahman clearing out obstacles from one's path.

Every mantra to a god or goddess starts with Om, which is symbolic of Brahman. So it is essentially monistic though it would appear polytheistic on the outside.

Wouldnt it be seperate gods and goddress regardless their connection with brahman? Hence the reason people worship one god rather than excluding the connection these individual gods have with brahman?

In other words, what makes them god/goddess if they are brahman rather than they being an incarnation of brahman but seperate in their own history, story, and devotees as actual gods and goddess?

More focused on multiple gods and goddesses existing (polytheism) more than their roles as incarnations of one god Brahman.

ajay0

Wouldnt it be seperate gods and goddress regardless their connection with brahman?

You and I are manifestations of Brahman as well.

To the extent I am separate from you , to that extent the gods and goddesses are separate from each other regardless of the common substratum of Brahman, which is pure consciousness.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You and I are manifestations of Brahman as well.

To the extent I am separate from you , to that extent the gods and goddesses are separate from each other regardless of the common substratum of Brahman, which is pure consciousness.

I think the OP is talking about the existence of how many gods and goddesses (ggs) they are not how many are worshiped.

Going by that, unless ggs doesnt exist in hinduism, it would be polytheism. If talking about worship its monotheism.

-
Given we are all part of brahman and there is only one god, would it make sense to call us gods and goddesses?

If there is only one god (existence) in hinduism would it be more appropriate to call ggs incarnations?

When a person hears ggs, they think individual deities in their own right rather than incarnations (excejpt christianity but they are a bit mixed up on whether christ is an incarnation)