• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many gods there are in Hinduism?

Surya Deva

This question is the most asked question about Hinduism. If I had a dime for the amount of times I have been asked this, I would be a millionaire now.

There is an answer the answer is NONE. There are no 'gods' in Hinduism. There is, however, a single undivisible and infinite supreme entity who is one and without a second. To use the word 'god' to describe this entity does not express a true account of what this supreme entity is, but can be used in a loose sense and many Hindus do use the word god.

Hinduism - Nightly.Net

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that like all of Hinduism there is more then one view in the text of the Vedas.Maybe all three schools of Vedanta can be found in the Vedas. I can find arguments that support Advaita,Vishishadvaita and Dvaita all in the text. Its true that there is only one God in Hinduism.Maybe the ways of looking at the ONE are different. So we can move from lower truth to higher truth.

Give me your thoughts Suraj.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
The same reason never say it as Hinduism but SANATAN DHARMA.
The root of the problem is perception by the west starting from Alexander who started calling people living here as Hindus as he could not pronounce Sindhus and then they saw people of this region worshippiong just about any thing from cows to sun to stones, and perceived them to be all gods.
Start calling it Sanatan Dharma and then they will ask you what that is and then you can tell them about Vedanta etc.
Love & rgds

Surya Deva

Want to be Hindu,

Yes, all those perspectives are in the Vedas. As the Vedas are composed by several Risis(seers) each verse concentrates on different aspects of that supreme being. However, the other schools of Hinduism such as Dvatia(duality) are not found in the Vedas, but I am open to correction. The Vedas never claim that the supreme being and the souls are different, but empathatically state that the supreme being is the only reality. When there is a dualistic tone is when the Risis speak from the perspective of their own reality, then because they are entangled in dualistic reality they have to use names, words and plurals(beings etc) because they are describing manifest reality. However, this reality is ultimately to be transcended because it is not real, only that supreme being is real and the Vedas glorify him endlessly.

Here are various Verses from all the Vedas that corroborate this:

The whole of this universe
Is stationed in the Omnipresent
And the Omnipotent God
We see him in various forms.
He brings to light
All these worlds
Him they call Kala, infinite
Pervading the infinite space
(Atharva 19.53.3)

He indeed is all this
What has been and will be
He is the Lord of Immortality
Trascending through material existence
(Rig 10.90.2)

See unity in diversity
Behold one divine form appearing in multiforms

Immese is his vastness, unparalled is his glory

All the countless earths, suns, planets which are seen,
and which are beyond our perception exist under his command

Kindled in various forms, the perenial flame is one;
Sprinkling the world with golden beams at dawn

Painting the evening clouds with changing colours,
the sun is one.
(Rig 8.58.2)

He who knows truth who knows
this God as One.
Neither second nor third
Nor fourth is he called
Neither fith nor sixth
Nor seventh is he called
Neither eigth or ninth
Nor tenth is he called.
He surveys all that breathes
And that breathes not
He posses the power supreme
He is the One
The One Alone
In him all divine powers
Become the One Alone
(Atharva 13.5.14-21)

May it be called Agni, Aditya, Vayu or
Chandarma.
All the names of the Supreme Spirit
He is Brahma and Prajapati, the Supreme Lord
of all.
He is the ultimate power, protector of all beings
(Yajur 32.1)

That one supreme reality has been styled
by various names by the learned seers,
They call one by many names.
They speak of him as Indra(the Lord Resplendent);
Mitra(The surveyor);
Varuna(The Virtuous)
Agni(The adorable);
Garutman(The celestial and well-sung);
Yama(The oradiner);
Matarvishan(The Cosmic Breath);
(Rig 1.164.46)

He is void of form, dwelleth in and
out of everything with form and shape;
He is free from lapses, faults and impurities.
He transcedeth all the bodily faculties
Being the divine poet he is genius
Maintaining peace and harmony he manifesteth
He sustaineth creation in perfect order
(Yajur 10.8)

The Supreme Lord is too near
To be abandoned
Too close to be witnessed.
Behold the nature's splendour
And the Lords divine poetry
Both and beyond decay and death
(Atharva 10.8.3)

I now realise the presence of the
Almighty Lord, the universal entity,
the one with is self-illuminated and
radiant like the sun.

He is beyond all darkness; with
this realisation, not I fear not even
death.

I proclaim, this is the path, the only
path to salvation, to the goal of life,
the eternal bliss.
(Yajur 31.18)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
Why not you start thread on different vedas one at a time?
Would love it.
Love & rgds

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An impressive collection of quotations, Suraj, frubals. But dvaitists could no doubt list quotations referencing the reality of discrete entities as well.

From my own advaitist point of view I'd agree that Hinduism/Sanatana Dharma posits a single, transcendent Consciousness/Reality underlying the perceived world. But in popular Hinduism there's often little thought given to metaphysics or vedic theology. There is just family tradition and folklore. Many, if not most, (S)indu's really do believe in a multiplicity of "gods" and give little thought to abstract, vedantist-style monology.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend seyorni,
Though agree with you BUt must understand that the jouney is not over in one life time and evolution takes one from the basics and one earns his way up similarly there are different levels of people intellectually / financially / spiritually and so are the methods to reach god which are all covered in Sanatan Dharma.
Finally they too will reach Advaita / nathingness like Ramakrishna Paramhans whose attachment to Kali was broken by Totapuri.
Love & rgds

Surya Deva

Thanks Seyorni :)

I agree that most Hindus today are not aware of the fundamental philosophy of Hinduism/Santana Dharma. This is partly because they are not aware of it and only practice their family tradition or the folk version of Hinduism, which seems to be little else than visiting a temple once in a while and worshipping the idol of a deity, without actually practicising any of the Hindu principles. The other reason is Indians today, at large, are not intellectuals and thus cannot grapple with Vedic metaphysics and theology. They are like most religious followers today, just followers of their religion by namesake only.

However, the truth is Hinduism was never suppose to be a religion for the masses and hence the Vedas have always remained an esoteric tradition. Although there was a much greater frequency of intellectuals in India back then, they still were not a majority and frankly I don't think intellectuals ever can form a majority in a society. But the difference was, back then the wise were honoured, respected and listened to and played an influencial role in shaping society.

krishnano

There are about 30 million gods. :D

No, really. ;)

Actually, there is only one Supreme Lord, who is called Vishnu, Krishna, Narayana, Govinda, Vasudeva, Janardana, Madhusudana, Parameshvara, Jehovah, Allah, Cao Dai, Shang Di, Ahura Mazda, Abha, Waheguru... :D

And then Shiva, Indra, Varuna, Ganesha, etc. are demigods who help control this universal, cosmic manifestation.

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
This question is the most asked question about Hinduism. If I had a dime for the amount of times I have been asked this, I would be a millionaire now.

There is an answer the answer is NONE. There are no 'gods' in Hinduism. There is, however, a single undivisible and infinite supreme entity who is one and without a second. To use the word 'god' to describe this entity does not express a true account of what this supreme entity is, but can be used in a loose sense and many Hindus do use the word god.

Hinduism - Nightly.Net

i enjoy poetry you shared :) it seems like oneness is accepted by Hinduism. but there are many Gods mentioned. this is little confusing.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
i enjoy poetry you shared :) it seems like oneness is accepted by Hinduism. but there are many Gods mentioned. this is little confusing.

The many "Gods" are actually Deities or different manifestations/aspects of that same one God. The whole world and everything in it are manifestations, even us in our own way.

There is a verse in the Vedas which says that Brahman is whole and even if something is taken out from Brahman, that which is taken out is equal to Brahman. Also Brahman continues to be whole even if something is taken out from it.

OM POORNAMADAH POORNAMIDAM
POORNAAT POORNAMUDACHYATE
POORNASYA POORNAMAADAAYA
POORNAMEVAAVASHISHYATE

THAT (BRAHMAN) IS WHOLE
THIS (CREATION) IS ALSO WHOLE
FROM THAT WHOLE (I.E. BRAHMAN ONLY)
THIS WHOLE HAS COME OUT (CREATION)
BUT EVEN THOUGH THIS WHOLE HAS COME
OUT OF THAT WHOLE
YET THAT WHOLE REMAINS WHOLE ONLY​

.lava

Veteran Member
The many "Gods" are actually Deities or different manifestations/aspects of that same one God. The whole world and everything in it are manifestations, even us in our own way.

interesting. i think there is a difference between manifestation and deity. in Islam, it is said creation is art of God and human is it's master piece = we are all manifestations of God. did something happen in Hindu history that made manifestations perceived as Gods?

zenzero

Its only a Label
frriend .lava,
did something happen in Hindu history that made manifestations perceived as Gods?
Start from the begining.
God is a concept developed by humans. The first known religion practiced by humans is the Sanatana Dharma. People who developed the god concept also knew that everything or forms is god itself or is made of the same energy in different forms and that energy is what they meant as god.
Islam does not see that form but the no-form and so have no form to pray but the unknown; which again is the same.
Sanatan dharma practicioners also practice *Sunyata* which is again * NO-FORM* as practiced by islam. Everyone is free to worship form or no-form depending on their individual choice and suitability.
Sanatan dharma is therefore not a religion is the strict sense but a way of life similar to Taoism.Except that Taoism is a well defined Path/ way whereas Sanatan dharma allows individual even to this day to experiment, to research, to take any known path to deeper heights; all are welcome.
Love & rgds

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
God is not a countable object to determine whether He is one or many. God is what we and all existence is. But till we realize this, God (or the ultimate or underlying truth) would be something outside and separate from us. Worship of a God outside us inevitably develops into idolatry. (Be it idols made of stone or of words (like Allah). It is by counting these idols that we declare Hinduism has many Gods (because any form of worship is allowed) and Islam has only one God (because only the form of worship sanctioned by the Quran is allowed). Hinduism encourages our relocating God from ‘outside’ to ‘inside’. Then we go beyond idol worship to realize the truth that is no longer countable. For the separation between the ‘counter’ and the counted no longer would exist. The alienation ends.

Surya Deva

did something happen in Hindu history that made manifestations perceived as Gods?

Yes, the decline of the Vedic age lead to the formation of many sects. Their most popular literature were the Puranas which started to appear in the 3rd and 5th century, each dedicated to the worship of one of those manifestations. The original purpose of these Puranas was to explain the more abstract and metaphysical ideas in the Vedas which were too difficult to grasp by the layperson, so the Puranas through myths and narratives tried to explain the various Vedic concepts. They were very imaginative, but also utilised outrageous narratives. An example is when Ditti conspired against Indra to beget a son that would kill Indra, Indra entered her womb and then:

"With his weapon vajra, he sliced up the baby inside the womb into seven parts. The baby naturally began to cry at the pain.
Indra kept on saying, ma ruda, that is, don’t cry. But the baby, or rather its seven parts, would not listen. Indra thereupon sliced up each of the seven parts into seven more sections, so that there were forty-nine sections in all. When these forty-nine sections in all. When these forty-nine sections were born, they came to be known as the Maruts, from the words that Indra had addressed them. They instead became Indra’s followers or companions, and were treated as gods. "

Now, you can see that the layperson reading this could easily take this to be literal, and take Indra to be an actual god in heaven who weilds a thunderbolt weapon and slices babies into pieces that talk. This is what has happened, the layperson has taken Puranic stories literally and formed a concept of several gods. His beliefs are not dissimilar to Pagan religions.

However, the Puranas were never meant to be taken literal, they are myths and stories. Sometimes they do discuss philosophical concepts, history, but mixed with a lot of mythology and dumbed down immesenly. Mostly they are written to teach the common man Vedic ideas.

The above account of Indra entering into Dittis womb and slicing up the baby in 49 pieces is referring to the Vedic principles of how the manifestation of intelligence destroys ignorance and then causes knowledge to come into being. Indra, simply means, "the powerful" and is associated with both intelligence and electricity. Indra is celebrated particularly in the Vedas as the manifestation of that divine that parted the eternal darkness(vritra) fissioning it into many and caused the universe to flow into being, making ONE into MANY. By this act Indra forms the suns and stars, which form from the space released through the fission and hence why the suns and stars are poetically described as the infinite eyes of the supreme being in the Vedas. Indra is also described as the principle which causes clouds to rain, by the electric discharge(vajra, literally meaning iron thunder bolt) he causes the rain clouds to fission, causing the waters to flow out, which are carried down by the Maruts(literally, particles or waves) and the Maruts then carry water the water up again through evaporation and form more clouds.

Thus all three processes: the fission of space to form stars, the fission of clouds to release rain, and the fission of igorance to create knowledge is all presided over by the deity Indra, who in turn is a manifestation of cosmic intelligence. There are literally thousands of verses on intelligence in the Vedas and how it functions.

Is Indra real, as in an independent entity? No, the Vedas never describe the devas as independent entites, they are often joined up Indra-vayu, Mitra-Varuna and sometimes conflated with each other, and often described as emitting from one another. In fact the word Deva itself doesn't mean 'god', but means "shining one/luminous one" the word Deva comes from the root Dev(to shine) and from here the words Div(day) divya(divine) They simply refer to the principles in the universe, in fact similar to fundamental laws of the universe. They are also phenomenal divinities, that is underlying all distinct and unique phenomena is a divinity or deva, the purest expression of that phenomena. Thus what happens if there is no phenomena? There are no Devas and hence why the Vedas declare emphatically that the Devas are posterior to creation and only the ONE exists.

Now, maybe you can appreciate how difficult it is for the layperson to grapple with these abstract and metaphysical ideas. Hence the need for Puranas to explain the same in stories. They are considered the most inferior of scriptures though, and many reject them(I also reject them) the most superior of Vedic literature is surprisingly not even the Vedas themselves, it is Upanishads, which directly expound on the metaphysics in the Vedas. They were only revealed to a very select few in private with the Guru, who were intelligent and noble enough to understand them.

In the classical age another esoteric and elite system formed to describe the real import of the Vedas, the secular six schools of Hindu philosophy. They were able to expand on the all the concepts discussed in the Vedas by examining them very vigorously and explaining the particulars in secular and prose language. For example: The Vedic creation account does not give the stages of creation, but only gives a very brief and poetic description of it, which the Samkhya(analysis) school expands on and then explains all the stages of creation and categorises all evolutes with hair-splitting analysis. Another example: The Vedas only allude to the existence of atoms, again poetically(visvadevas) but do not give any physical descriptions. This is expanded on by the Vaiseshika(physics) school which using similar vigorous analysis to the Samkhya, explain the particular of atoms and their various aggregates etc.

Similarly, eveything that we know to be Hinduism: Yoga and meditation, Ayurveda, Hindu music, Hindu sciences and crafts, Hindu beliefs on karma and reincaration is all derived from the Vedas. That is not to say the Vedas describe them, the Vedas only describe the principles(universals) not the particulars. This is what makes Hinduism a very accepting, highly adaptive and tolerant religion. It is not concerned with particulars, you can live life however you want, worship god in anyway you want as long as you are in consonance with Vedic principles which determine our eternal dharma(eternal religion)

Our eternal religion is simply to cultivate our intelligence and compassion. There are no dictates on how to do that. You find your own way, as long as you live a life of wisdom and compassion. In Hinduism there is not one way, but countless ways, and many ways have been immortalized by great saints and Gurus. Lord Buddha and Adi Sankacharya took the path of knowledge; Saint Kabir, St Francis of Assisi and Guru Nanak took the path of devotion. Many take the path of work by doing good deeds. Some take the path of music and art. As varied as humans beings are in their nature, as many paths are there to the supreme being.

This is also why Hinduism has no problem accepting Christians and Muslims, and consider their path just as valid as all the Hindu paths. In fact their path comes under the Hindu category of path of devotion and work. I recall how a story of how a Christian came to a Hindu guru and asked him how he could become a Hindu, the guru replied by becoming a good Chrisitian :) Hinduism does not subscribe to superficial labels like "I am a Muslim, I am a Hindu, I am Sikh, I am Buddhist, I am Jain, I am Vaishnava, Shivaite" they mean nothing. Hinduism is only concerned with eternal principles, and if you are following those principles, you are a Hindu, even if you identify with other labels :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,

Thank you very much for so much that is not yet known to me in the way you have explained. You studies on Hinduism is most complete and surely many like me will benefit from your posts.
Appreciated.
Love & rgds

krishnano

Jaya Radhe!

Now, you can see that the layperson reading this could easily take this to be literal, and take Indra to be an actual god in heaven who weilds a thunderbolt weapon and slices babies into pieces that talk. This is what has happened, the layperson has taken Puranic stories literally and formed a concept of several gods. His beliefs are not dissimilar to Pagan religions.

However, the Puranas were never meant to be taken literal, they are myths and stories. Sometimes they do discuss philosophical concepts, history, but mixed with a lot of mythology and dumbed down immesenly. Mostly they are written to teach the common man Vedic ideas.

Now, maybe you can appreciate how difficult it is for the layperson to grapple with these abstract and metaphysical ideas. Hence the need for Puranas to explain the same in stories. They are considered the most inferior of scriptures though, and many reject them(I also reject them) the most superior of Vedic literature is surprisingly not even the Vedas themselves, it is Upanishads, which directly expound on the metaphysics in the Vedas. They were only revealed to a very select few in private with the Guru, who were intelligent and noble enough to understand them.

What's wrong with the belief that Indra was an actual divinity? Ramanujacharya, Madhvacharya, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, etc. all accepted the beliefs in One Supreme Deity named Vishnu/Krishna, and that all others are demigods, akin to the Judeo-Christo-Islamic conception of 'angels.' To say that Ramanujacharya was 'dumbed' to believe in the demigods is a little quirky.

I also do agree that the Upanishads are more philosophically inclined, but that does not mean that the Puranas are not. The Puranas are spiritual histories and are to be taken in a spiritually literal perspective (in that it matters not whether such a pastime happened or not as much as the spiritual values gleaned from them; anything other than this is a gate for argumentation).

Similarly, eveything that we know to be Hinduism: Yoga and meditation, Ayurveda, Hindu music, Hindu sciences and crafts, Hindu beliefs on karma and reincaration is all derived from the Vedas. That is not to say the Vedas describe them, the Vedas only describe the principles(universals) not the particulars. This is what makes Hinduism a very accepting, highly adaptive and tolerant religion. It is not concerned with particulars, you can live life however you want, worship god in anyway you want as long as you are in consonance with Vedic principles which determine our eternal dharma(eternal religion)

Our eternal religion is simply to cultivate our intelligence and compassion. There are no dictates on how to do that. You find your own way, as long as you live a life of wisdom and compassion. In Hinduism there is not one way, but countless ways, and many ways have been immortalized by great saints and Gurus. Lord Buddha and Adi Sankacharya took the path of knowledge; Saint Kabir, St Francis of Assisi and Guru Nanak took the path of devotion. Many take the path of work by doing good deeds. Some take the path of music and art. As varied as humans beings are in their nature, as many paths are there to the supreme being.

But Vaishnavism and Shaivism are specific paths and have certain rules and regulations that are enjoined among the faithful community to strive to follow, some being the simplest as in sex within marriage. I agree in that anyone who calls emself a follower of Vedic philosophy should be congruent to Vedic teachings. However, I do disagree in the idea where it is 'do as you please' way of life. After all, the shastras do exist for a reason, and that is to help humankind reach a spiritual platform beyond the reaches of a material conception of life and a materially-set consciousness.

In any case, Sanatana Dharma is for everyone, but there should be a process that is shastric, along with bona fide representatives and authorities on the sampradayic faith; otherwise, it is a mere concoction of the mind.

But then again, I'm speaking from a biased, Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective. ;)

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
... eveything that we know to be Hinduism: Yoga and meditation, Ayurveda, Hindu music, Hindu sciences and crafts, Hindu beliefs on karma and reincaration is all derived from the Vedas.
Tantra is based on Tantric texts that is claimed to ante-date the Vedas. Do you subscribe to this claim or do you hold that tantra is derived from the Vedas?

Tantra is based on Tantric texts that is claimed to ante-date the Vedas. Do you subscribe to this claim or do you hold that tantra is derived from the Vedas?

I know that some scholars (out side of the Tantric tradition) claim that Tantra and Vedas are parallel traditions, but Shakta worship is an integral part of the Hinduism and as such admits the authority of Veda, accepting most other beliefs held by the general body of the Hindu people. Many Tantric traditions purports that the Chandi Path or Durga Saptasati is a commentary on two hymns from the Rig Veda. Many Tantrics see the Chandi as the fundamental authoritative text of the Tantras.

Certainly the root of Tantra is Vaidika