• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How important is your word?

Sententia

If you tell someone you are going to do something then what does that mean to you?

Personally if I say I am going to do something then I do it. I consider what I am saying and how I am going to make good on that promise prior to speaking.

On the rare occasion I can't do something I make it a point to reach out, apologize and make it up. I don't excuse my behavior even when others do.

Is that a little crazy?

elmarna

I believe in accountability first & foremost.
While 1 may find calling on concepts[thoughts & ideas] a great way to speak at best in the long run theu only do harm to themselves & their service. To be thrue to your words not only gives you a show of hands[intent] that is honest & honorable; It gives those around you a trust in you that builds a confidence to hold onto.
To "Walk the walk & talk the talk is being you in every way. A genuine person with good intentions will always find respect no matter his or her's status in life.
Crazy? NO Full of integrity -YES! YES!

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am the same as you, Sententia, so either we're both crazy or we're both totally normal. :p

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My word when I was younger was my law. If I said it, I did it to extremes. Eventually this lead to a personal break down. Now when I give my word I try to accomplish the task but if I don't come through I don't beat myself up over it.

I also try not to give my word as much usually adding maybe or will see dodging the issue.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally if I say I am going to do something then I do it. I consider what I am saying and how I am going to make good on that promise prior to speaking.
On the rare occasion I can't do something I make it a point to reach out, apologize and make it up. I don't excuse my behavior even when others do.
Is that a little crazy?
I support that kind of crazy.

waitasec

Veteran Member
If you tell someone you are going to do something then what does that mean to you?

Is that a little crazy?

i'm right there with you. however when i do find myself excusing my behavior, i feel like a worm for doing so... i hate it. if there is anything i hate it's that...

so i guess, my word is me... it means a lot, to me that is.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I try to do what I say I'm going to do, but then that is not always possible- things sometimes come up. I don't make promises unless I am sure I can keep it, though. But promises can't always be kept due to certain circumstances. So I just learned to say "I'll try to do "so-and-so" rather than make a promise. I also don't judge others when they can't keep their word, for the same reason.
It does make me feel bad if something does come up, but what can we all do? Life keeps going on.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I generally check within to find out actual desire I have to do something. I can be surprised from this process. Like, someone asks me if I'll take them to the store, my initial feeling may be "no way Jose" and I check within, get feeling of "go ahead" and then say I will. That's assuming if it is in the moment. Since many decisions are beyond the moment (invitation to party this weekend), then after checking within, assuming I have "go ahead," my patented response is, "most likely." Cause I don't know if there is something that will come up between then and now, and so I do like to leave an out.

But on other way of "how good is your word," most people that know me, even at acquaintance level, say I am somewhere between, 'most honest person they know' or 'too honest for my own good.' I've learned to taper that down, such that some white lies make pretty good sense to me now, but not if it means hiding something from someone who I call "friend."

Skwim

Veteran Member
Outside of unforeseen circumstances I always keep my word. However, this doesn't mean that my word may not carry some caveat, which I make sure is well understood.