• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How has God shown you He loves you?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This of course creates a crisis of faith. Our heart says something that don't mesh well with what our beliefs tell us something contrary. For instance, someone believing God has a plan for everything in life, and that his love for them will protect them from misery if they are true to God. Then some tragedy strikes. Their 3 year old is killed, or some other senseless thing which cannot be reconciled with that belief and expectation they have of God.

The choice can be to attempt to repress that overwhelming reality of pain, loss, and confusion, saying "The problem is me right now, because my religion told me God will never leave me or forsake me," and they reject the validity of this painful experience that doesn't make sense at all on any level. Or, they could instead say, "Maybe how I was understanding things about God before may have been in error, either in how I was wanting to think about God, or that they just don't get it themselves". The latter is much harder and scarier to face.

Not only do you end up with something that challenges any attempt to make sense of it in your life, you also end up facing a possible loss of faith itself as you find yourself with no structure of faith to try to make sense of the world. Not only did they lose their child, but their belief system too. A double loss.

And this sort of thing can in fact actually be what is necessary to get closer to God. Often times we put our belief systems in front of God, never trusting that the reality of God is bigger than our religions, never trusting ourselves in the face of crises. It doesn't necessarily means losing our religion, but it can in fact mean growing our understanding up a little bit and letting go of some of the ways we used to think, now that we have this missing piece of reality to consider. Your feelings today are not wrong. They are informative. Courage to face the harder questions is an act of faith, IMHO.

The problem isn't having conflicting thoughts and feelings. The problem would be to deny them and assume they are at fault. That will only work for so long until it can no longer be denied. And that to me, is how God brings us closer to him. Doubt serves faith to refine faith to include the whole of our lived experiences, including those that fly in the face of our long-held and most cherished beliefs.
Thanks a lot. :D I think I understand what you are saying. Maybe I should not have to feel so guilty that I do not “like God” when I see or experience things that are incongruent with the Attributes of God as described in the Writings of Baha’u’llah, things I think about what God is supposed to be like... This can be very limiting.

You said: “And this sort of thing can in fact actually be what is necessary to get closer to God. Often times we put our belief systems in front of God, never trusting that the reality of God is bigger than our religions,”

Oh, that just triggered a thought, something a Baha’i close to me always tells me... God is above all Attributes, meaning God is above the way God is described in Holy Books... This is in the Long Obligatory Prayer.

“Exalted art Thou above the description of any one save Thyself, and the comprehension of aught else except Thee........
Too high art Thou for the praise of those who are nigh unto Thee to ascend unto the heaven of Thy nearness, or for the birds of the hearts of them who are devoted to Thee to attain to the door of Thy gate. I testify that Thou hast been sanctified above all attributes and holy above all names. No God is there but Thee, the Most Exalted, the All-Glorious.”

Long Obligatory Prayer

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
So I'd like to be able to show the sick suffering poor tortured souls that God loves them. The first obstacle is the fact that God refuses to speak up to them. God hides himself. Would a God who loves people hide himself from them and refuse to speak up and leave people tortured and confused?

I feel like you have some issues that we won't get into today, but let's stop you on your initial thought, because you seem to be confused about something.

37Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’
40And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

The works I do in My Father’s name testify on My behalf. 26But because you are not My sheep, you refuse to believe. 27My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. 29My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

God is love, and anyone who lives in love, lives in God, and God in him.

There is one God who is father of all, over all, through all and within all.

Biblical Panentheism: God in all things

God has NEVER hid himself or refused to speak. You simply do not understand how to listen. God is speaking through everyone you meet. Even those you can't stand.