• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How fast do you talk?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Quite fast, and when I first started teaching, I was told it would be better if I slowed down. However, compared to my Sicilian wife, I'm simply no match.
Miriam Leone is Sicilian too...
Do you mean as fast as her? ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Really...I have noticed that the speed of speech, the talking speed enormously changes according to the people's language, cultural background, character, and so on.

For example...I don't know whether I talk fast or slow...because these two are relative terms, that need a point of reference, so a kind of talking is considered either slow or fast.
So my friends told me that this is the speed I talk at.

Of course, Italians love to articulate a lot, so it takes lots of time, so I think it is relatively slow.

I think that the Spanish and the French speak very fast...
or Ben Shapiro...I guess his speed is incredible, so much faster than Miriam...right? :)
I would never be able to talk like that, not even at half of that speed...in any language.

So tell me . How fast do you talk u guys?:)
I'm an incoherent mumbler. Not fast. Just mumbles with the people in my head.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think we speak fast, but a lot of foreign friends have told me we do. Plus we inflect the ends of our sentences a little differently to most English speaking nations.

Might be true, might be that English is their second language and adjusting from English English or American English (that they're taught in school) is tricky when you consider the amount of slang we use, etc.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I talk really slow, but that doesn't matter as I often can convey my message in a sentence where others need paragraphs or pages.
Because you speak a language that can sum up an entire concept with one word...whereas sometimes other language need an entire sentence.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Because you speak a language that can sum up an entire concept with one word...whereas sometimes other language need an entire sentence.
That helps, but I have RL friends who can go on and on, and I just wish they would come to the point.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I speak a little more quickly, and I have a bad habit of mashing my words together when I speak, so often times I have to catch myself and enunciate more clearly when speaking to people who aren't all that familiar with me

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't think we speak fast, but a lot of foreign friends have told me we do. Plus we inflect the ends of our sentences a little differently to most English speaking nations.

Might be true, might be that English is their second language and adjusting from English English or American English (that they're taught in school) is tricky when you consider the amount of slang we use, etc.
For example Italians have just seven vowel sounds...and love to articulate the sound of consonants.
Italians don't understand the pronunciation differences between man and men...or between bad and bed...
or even between sun and son. There is no difference in their ears. :)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For example Italians have just seven vowel sounds...and love to articulate the sound of consonants.
Italians don't understand the pronunciation differences between man and men...or between bad and bed...
or even between sun and son. There is no difference in their ears. :)

Occasionally, I run into that with some different dialects. I remember a guy calling to my place of work, asking to speak with "Mr. Bayle," which is what I heard him say. And I said we don't have anyone by that name, but he was sure he worked there, so I asked him to spell the last name. He spelled it out, "B-E-L-L, Bayle." Well, we did have a Mr. Bell working there, but I typically pronounced as a one-syllable word, and the vowel sound was more like an "e," not an "a."

Another common example is the word "pen," which some pronounce as "pin."