• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How easy is it for Trinitarians to misread the scriptures?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Im confused... why are you debating with sojourner if this is your stance?

Are you just filling up your time or wanting to get to the truth of scriptures..?

You obviously don’t believe in trinity but are floundering in exactly what you do believe. I saw you move towards the truth previously but you appear to be trying NOT TO UPSET sojourner by offering hi excuses for his clearly unscriptural ideology which he cannot even define for our debate purposes.

And remember that is is a DEBATE thread - not a DISCUSSION thread!! You don’t feel ‘sorry’ for your antagonist in a DEBATE!
How is it you think I am floundering in what I believe? But then, if properly presented, with God's help, I can look at things differently. But how is you think I am floundering in what I believe?

YoursTrue

Yes, you can. And you can also take scrap metal and attempt to put a man in orbit. But you lack the tools in both instances to get the job done. Bible study involves FAR more than just reading the texts and reading a couple of commentary entries. Formulating theological constructions involves more than simply reading the Bible on a surface level and “comparing” passages. Just as simple arithmetic and the use of a tape measure won’t get a man into orbit.

Sure, you can look at it. But that cursory and rudimentary look won’t tell you much. It might support some confirmation bias, but that’s hardly helpful — and the particular passages at which you’re looking aren’t particularly cogent to the issue. Again, that’s like taking a basic look at the shape of a spacecraft and declaring that it will safely return to earth.

Still not cogent to the discussion of the concept of first among equals.
I believe it is. The term "most high" does not have to relate to one entity alone, but the term does designate that someone or something is "most high" in whatever course it takes.

YoursTrue

Yes, you can. And you can also take scrap metal and attempt to put a man in orbit. But you lack the tools in both instances to get the job done. Bible study involves FAR more than just reading the texts and reading a couple of commentary entries. Formulating theological constructions involves more than simply reading the Bible on a surface level and “comparing” passages. Just as simple arithmetic and the use of a tape measure won’t get a man into orbit.

Sure, you can look at it. But that cursory and rudimentary look won’t tell you much. It might support some confirmation bias, but that’s hardly helpful — and the particular passages at which you’re looking aren’t particularly cogent to the issue. Again, that’s like taking a basic look at the shape of a spacecraft and declaring that it will safely return to earth.

Still not cogent to the discussion of the concept of first among equals.
Many students and teachers would give more credence to some commentators of the writings of the scholars than others. As a matter of fact, a beginning definition of seminary is: "A seminary, school of theology, theological seminary, or divinity school is an educational institution for educating students (sometimes called seminarians) in scripture, theology, generally to prepare them for ordination to serve as clergy, in academics, or in Christian ministry"
O( course there's more, but that's a starting definition.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I believe it is. The term "most high" does not have to relate to one entity alone, but the term does designate that someone or something is "most high" in whatever course it takes.
But the term isn’t talking about the specific relationship between the Persons of the Trinity.

sojourner

Many students and teachers would give more credence to some commentators of the writings of the scholars than others. As a matter of fact, a beginning definition of seminary is: "A seminary, school of theology, theological seminary, or divinity school is an educational institution for educating students (sometimes called seminarians) in scripture, theology, generally to prepare them for ordination to serve as clergy, in academics, or in Christian ministry"
O( course there's more, but that's a starting definition.
I don’t see how this post addresses mine. Yes, I know very well what the term “seminary” means. I also know what is taught in seminaries. Do you? And, yes, there is wide debate among scholars in the areas of exegesis and theology. Just as there’s wide debate among engineers with regard to automobile making.

YoursTrue

But the term isn’t talking about the specific relationship between the Persons of the Trinity.
I understand your point now, and I will be doing more research on the term "Most High." I can only imagine that all three persons are considered "Most High" by some, although I believe from reading the doctrine(s) that the Son is subordinate to the Father. If you think that makes them equal, all I can say now is: o well. I will continue researching and learning about the term "Most High," taken from the original languages, as well as seeing in what context it's used in the Bible.

YoursTrue

I don’t see how this post addresses mine. Yes, I know very well what the term “seminary” means. I also know what is taught in seminaries. Do you? And, yes, there is wide debate among scholars in the areas of exegesis and theology. Just as there’s wide debate among engineers with regard to automobile making.
Again -- I can look into the works of theologians, many of them are available to the public. I haven't attended a seminary, so can't say right now what is taught in seminaries. But there are different types of seminaries, with different teachers, obviously not all are equal or the same in quality or platform.

YoursTrue

Since you said you have association with a seminary, or seminarians, I was curious as to how far it goes and what kind of scholars are there, also if a Catholic seminary is different from a Protestant seminary. Or Jewish seminary.

sojourner

Since you said you have association with a seminary, or seminarians, I was curious as to how far it goes and what kind of scholars are there, also if a Catholic seminary is different from a Protestant seminary. Or Jewish seminary.
Most reputable seminaries are accredited by the Association of Theological schools in the Us and Canada, who issue strict guidelines for educational standards, such as curricula, number of hours, education and standing of faculty, etc. Standards are generally the same as for any other graduate program. ATS oversees Protestant, RCC, and Jewish programs. Most schools employ scholars who are published and whose work is peer reviewed.

sojourner

Also, my seminary did not teach a particular doctrine and did not dictate belief. It did teach how to approach and exegete biblical and extra biblical texts, church history, theology and how to construct theological propositions,

YoursTrue

Also, my seminary did not teach a particular doctrine and did not dictate belief. It did teach how to approach and exegete biblical and extra biblical texts, church history, theology and how to construct theological propositions,
Glad you mentioned that, because I have been investigating, albeit in a cursory sense (and who has time to visit the seminaries as well as research their teachers, beliefs, and courses in a deep way?) the various Catholic seminaries and colleges, as well as Protestant aligned religious institutes of higher education, and now come across the differences, quite profound, of "church," and who was the first Pope. So while some might teach in a rather embracing way, I would say there are large differences in supposed beliefs of these institutions. While philosophy plays a big part, I also wonder if there are courses demonstrating, or showing the existence of God, and the believability of the Bible. Rather than just philosophy.

sojourner

Glad you mentioned that, because I have been investigating, albeit in a cursory sense (and who has time to visit the seminaries as well as research their teachers, beliefs, and courses in a deep way?) the various Catholic seminaries and colleges, as well as Protestant aligned religious institutes of higher education, and now come across the differences, quite profound, of "church," and who was the first Pope. So while some might teach in a rather embracing way, I would say there are large differences in supposed beliefs of these institutions. While philosophy plays a big part, I also wonder if there are courses demonstrating, or showing the existence of God, and the believability of the Bible. Rather than just philosophy.
What you’re talking about is faith and doctrine. That’s not normally what seminaries teach. Most seminaries draw students who already have some sort of faith formation. And seminaries don’t teach just philosophy. As I stated, they also teach theology and biblical exegesis.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
How is it you think I am floundering in what I believe? But then, if properly presented, with God's help, I can look at things differently. But how is you think I am floundering in what I believe?
I say you are floundering when I read your exchanges with sojourner. It appears that in some areas you are close to agreeing with his fallacy although you may only say similar to “you may have a point on that..’”. And that “point” is close to trinitarianism or pre-existent Jesus. Perhaps you have a notion of pre-existent of Jesus that crosses over with trinity but you do t yet realise it. I notice you didn’t exactly AGREE with my, “Jesus is man, the Last Adam, made in the same fashion as the First Adam” despite it being written clearly in scriptures:
  • ‘The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven.’ (1 Cor 15:47)
I want to point out to you that the reference to the second man (obviously Jesus!) being ‘of Heaven’ does not mean ‘FROM Heaven’ as some trinitarian translators have claimed. Remember that the writer of Corinthians, Paul, only knew Jesus AFTER Jesus was TAKEN UP TO HEAVEN. Paul did not know Jesus while Jesus was alive, he only knew of the new ‘Christian Faith’ and had been the most prolific and urgent opposer of it. Clearly, Jesus is not a ‘MAN’ as in ‘flesh and blood and bone’, in Heaven so Paul addresses his personage as ‘Spirit’ (verse 45-46) and encountered Jesus ‘FROM OUT OF HEAVEN’, as a Spirit, on the road to Damascus

I press you to understand that God made an image of himself in a flesh body to oversee his creation. This ‘image of God’ does not mean anything ‘Spirit’-based. It means His Person, his attitude, righteousness, his glory, his wisdom, his piety, his love, his creativity, majesty, author authoritativeness, his grace, compassion, decision making, forgiveness-ness, ... all in LIMITED FLESH..

OBVIOUSLY we can only do as God can do WITHIN THE CONFINEMENT OF THE PHYSICAL CREATIVE BOUNDS!!!!! Our IMAGE OF GOD is bounded by the physics of the created world. EVEN Jesus Christ, while ON EARTH was only ever in ONE PLACE AT ANY ONE PLACE... and did not APPEAR and disappear like Spirit Angels did.

Soapy

The reason they don’t teach a particular doctrine is because so many people together WOULD see the flaws in any doctrine taught. So don’t teach a doctrine... teach generics and you capture your whole audience and go home with a fantastic pay for the day...

After all, the TICKET SALES and REVENUE is what these seminars are really about!!

sojourner

The reason they don’t teach a particular doctrine is because so many people together WOULD see the flaws in any doctrine taught. So don’t teach a doctrine... teach generics and you capture your whole audience and go home with a fantastic pay for the day...

After all, the TICKET SALES and REVENUE is what these seminars are really about!!
Absolute nonsense! The reason they don’t teach doctrine is because that’s not the purpose of seminary. It has nothing to do with “flaws” or money.

YoursTrue

I'm not sure about dictating belief, but my curiosity is aroused with the idea if any of them taught the idea that the God of the Bible is real and true?

sojourner

I'm not sure about dictating belief, but my curiosity is aroused with the idea if any of them taught the idea that the God of the Bible is real and true?
Why should they need to do that? Espousing belief isn’t their job. They’re there to train ministers. If one is called to Christian ministry, one should have a fairly well developed faith before applying to the seminary.

YoursTrue

Why should they need to do that? Espousing belief isn’t their job. They’re there to train ministers. If one is called to Christian ministry, one should have a fairly well developed faith before applying to the seminary.
I would suppose. But then can one help others to have faith or then what would be the purpose of training? For some reason it sounds very philosophical to me, like if someone becomes a Buddhist expert and practices Buddhism. If Buddhists have seminaries I don't know, maybe they do.

Soapy

Absolute nonsense! The reason they don’t teach doctrine is because that’s not the purpose of seminary. It has nothing to do with “flaws” or money.
Rubbish... seminars are set up to make money for the speakers and to push a cause. It’s more attractive to have broad based seminars so more people will attend and have them GENERIC so everyone attending THINKS (or maybe actually some do) gain knowledge from it.

Religious seminar? On what? How to read the scriptures?????? Tosh!!!

It’s like what happens in schools now: general schools are not allowed to teach CHRISTIANITY, per se!! They must teach GENERIC religious beliefs... When this is applied, our children just get confused as to what they should believe and start seeing Christianity as a fairy story.

The teachers have very little knowledge about the bible because they themselves do not need to... The lessons they give are much like the ‘seminars’ in that it’s just another pay day!

Why do christians want to know about Ead? Shall we go on a pilgrimage to Mecca as a field trip, class?

Why does a Muslim want to know about Sikhism or CHRISTMAS? Muslims do not believe in Jesus Christ as ‘Son of God’ so why do they celebrate Xmas (Xmas!!!) Oh yes.. because Xmas is about GETTING undeserved PRESENTS, stuffing yourself silly with food, wine, and sugar-Ladened pudding, and forgetting about your God while playing video games or binge-watching Netflix films.

Generic seminars tend towards indoctrination. The atmosphere of the event draws the attendees into the SPIRIT and this makes them more susceptible to whatever GENERIC doctrine is taught.

Generic ideology of Christianity favours trinitarianism. The fallacy is compounded when sceptical attendees see so many others ‘fevered’ by the ‘clever’ presenters who are there to get paid and push there generic agendas. They feel they must agree or look foolish!!

How is it reconciled that ‘God raised up this Jesus that you know’ if Jesus IS GOD...

But wait, God is ESSENCE...

Or in your case, you do not even know who or what God is because you don’t have a definition - despite the fact that it is you who defined God as ESSENCE???

But you do t know what ESSENCE IS...

Yet your doctrine (that you don’t know) says that Jesus is one of three persons who share in the essence that you cannot define!!! Strange?

This is why your seminars teach the way they do - it’s ‘The Emperors Clothes’ scenario!!:
Alls seems to be going well until a little boy who doesn’t know to keep his mouth shut at such places jumps up and says:
  • “That doesn’t make sense. I have three fish in fish bowl who share the same water equally but that doesn’t make each fish WATER!! And the water is contained in the fishbowl. If the water is ESSENCE and the three persons are GOD in the water - what is the container (fishbowl) of the ESSENCE?’
The gathering is annoyed by the boys interjection and the mother is embarrassed and tries to hush him up.

But then someone else stands up and says:
  • ‘Wow, he’s right...! I was thinking it didn’t sound right but I felt silly to stand up and say so... oh my gosh! Yes... it DOESN’T MAKE SENSE!’
All of a sudden, a dozen and more localised murmuring turns into a torrent of desperate pleas for clarification and anger at being duped!!

Seminar over - the presenters run for cover towards the car park exit!

Last edited:

Soapy

This is turning religion into science... Science cannot explain GOD and so will seek to destroy God from religion.

Science says ‘Man created God’.

Yes, science can explain the WHAT (all the physics, chemistry, biology, mechanics, mathematics, etc.) of CREATION - but it ultimately cannot explain the WHY!

Satan has given mankind the ability to reverse-engineer God’s creation - but Satan has hidden the ‘One Ring’ that controls them all... THE PURPOSE OF THE CREATION!!