• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does science explain the beginning?

jonny

I've been curious about something for a while. What scientific theories are there out there for the beginning of everything - not just our world or universe, but everything in space. Where did the first atom come from?

Is there are scientist out there who can explain this in a way that a science failure could understand? :)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Some people believe that God just always was, and always has been.
So why can't it be that atoms just were, and always have been?

jonny

gnosis_777 said:
Some people believe that God just always was, and always has been.
Is eternity a scientific principle?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
jonny said:
Is eternity a scientific principle?

numbers are eternal... but that's mathematics i suppose...
but scientists use numbers too...

(and the more you speak, the less intelligent you sound!) haha

:bonk:

There are sciences that deal with this sort of thing, and I should look into them more next time i reply to this post

standing_on_one_foot

gnosis_777 said:
Mostly because it looks like there was a beginning of the universe. I don't think atoms are thought to have shown up until thousands of years after the start of things. As I recall, the first atoms came from little bits of atoms. Dunno where those came from, though.

Anyhow, if atoms always were, and entropy is true, I think everything would be at absolute zero by now, wouldn't it?

I think the best answer is that people don't know. It's an answer that seems to come up a lot. I'm not sure if eternity is a scientific principle, but uncertainty certainly seems to be.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seriously, the Scientists on this forum, is there any theory about how the first 'impetus' came from or came into being ?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Was there a beginning? There are theories covering yes, no, and many. One thing science does more often than religion is to admit that not everything is known. We have theories; we do not have conclusive evidence yet.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I'll try and explain this as best i can, from what i know. Note i put these '.....' around words that aren't technically correct, but are a lot simpler to use.

In hyperspace (the 'region' outside of this universe's space/time) two things called membranes (i don't understand these at all!) collided creating a singularity. The moment it is formed the singularity instantly 'jumps' into its own dimension and creates its own space and time. (side note, theoretically it is possible to create a singularity in the lab, in which case it too would leave our universe)

The singularity then 'exploded' in the big bang creating first pure energy which rapidly formed matter and antimatter, matter eliminated all the antimatter but there was some matter left. (side note, it is perfectly possible that in other universes antimatter eliminated matter, it all depends on which was most numourous).

Strings became quarks, quarks became particles and particles became hydrogen. From hydrogen and helium, which is in essence two hydrogens combined, we get star formation. From dead stars we get second generation stars and planets, on planets we get chemical reactions, from chemical reactions we get proto-life which eventually becomes some form of life. All life we know is carbon based, but this is not necessarily the only way it can be.

I probably got some of that wrong, but since noone else has had a go explaining it in their own words, i thought i'd give it a shot.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Halcyon said:
I'll try and explain this as best i can, ... I probably got some of that wrong, but since noone else has had a go explaining it in their own words, i thought i'd give it a shot.
:clap From M-theory to nucleosynthesis: that was actually rather good! :clap

Ryan2065

Deut said:
Its on my bookshelf... first im finishing Hawkings books... then I'll pick that one up... But no time with finals coming up, maybe after finals... =)

As far as the first atom... The first atom came origional from photons =)

"First" implies time... so as far as the "first" when there was no time... im not quite certain how one would answer that... Its like demanding someone tell you exacly how far they traveled when they were standing still....

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ryan2065 said:
"First" implies time... so ...
It's the other way around.
Ryan2065 said:
... as far as the "first" when there was no time... im not quite certain how one would answer that... Its like demanding someone tell you exacly how far they traveled when they were standing still....
No, it is not.

jonny

Halcyon said:
In hyperspace (the 'region' outside of this universe's space/time) two things called membranes (i don't understand these at all!) collided creating a singularity. The moment it is formed the singularity instantly 'jumps' into its own dimension and creates its own space and time. (side note, theoretically it is possible to create a singularity in the lab, in which case it too would leave our universe)
Thanks for your reply! Deut, I'll have to check that book out.

Does anyone have any theories on what created the region outside our universe's space and time? Where did these membranes come from?

I'm interested in going all the way back. :)

Bangbang

Halcyon said:
I'll try and explain this as best i can, from what i know. Note i put these '.....' around words that aren't technically correct, but are a lot simpler to use.

The singularity then 'exploded' in the big bang creating first pure energy which rapidly formed matter and antimatter, matter eliminated all the antimatter but there was some matter left. (side note, it is perfectly possible that in other universes antimatter eliminated matter, it all depends on which was most numourous).

Strings became quarks, quarks became particles and particles became hydrogen. From hydrogen and helium, which is in essence two hydrogens combined, we get star formation. From dead stars we get second generation stars and planets, on planets we get chemical reactions, from chemical reactions we get proto-life which eventually becomes some form of life. All life we know is carbon based, but this is not necessarily the only way it can be.

I probably got some of that wrong, but since noone else has had a go explaining it in their own words, i thought i'd give it a shot.
I like your explanation.