• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does an Atheist repent?

An example to go with the above question is not giving money to a beggar. A beggar comes to you asking for some money and you just lie and tell them that you don't have any money on you or some other excuse.

Maybe that's not the best example but it'w close to what I mean.
that is a great example I deal with that problem every week. I have lied and said I had no money, and I felt terrible about it. But I also feel very conflicted because I have asked several people who work for local charities, and they tell me that it does not help to give to street beggars because they just use the money for drugs. It is best to donate to organizations which help the homeless instead.

Many atheists like myself do not reject religious concepts like sin and repentance entirely. We just modify the concept in a more rational and practical way. My "repentance" for the sin of lying to a homeless guy is to reflect on what I have done, admit that it was wrong, and commit to doing the right thing next time. Perhaps i will donate my time and money to a charity to make up for my wrongdoing. Of course I am only human and imperfect but I will try to do the right thing.

GodlessAtheist

Do you as an Atheist ever consider yourself as having committed a sin/sins?

From an Atheist perspective, what is a sin. If you have committed a sin, how do you repent, what do you do after it?

Is there a need to repent? If you do something to someone, I can understand the feeling to feel sorry for what you have done, but what about when you do something which is wrong but doesn't affect anyone but you?

Is there a concept of sin and repentance in Atheism?

We don`t call it sin, due to the fact that sin is defined as an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law, and since we have no "divine law" to worry about, it would only be a mistake. Well, what do you do after you commit a sin? You pray to your God to forgive you for said sin. We just recognize the mistake we made and if it impacted another person we apologize. It`s not like Atheist have to sense of guilt. We just don`t have a God to make it all better.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Do you as an Atheist ever consider yourself as having committed a sin/sins?

Nope. The concept of “Sin” is an invention of some monotheistic beliefs and superstitions.

From an Atheist perspective, what is a sin. If you have committed a sin, how do you repent, what do you do after it?
See answer above for proper and applicable context.

There are countless definitions available as reference for the word “Sin”, but this one seems as succinct and direct as numerous others:
sin n.
1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.

2. Theology
a. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.
b. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.
3. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.

Source

Now, just this once, if you please? Just this one time, look up (for yourself) the definition of "atheist" in any contemporary dictionary? Please?

Is there a need to repent? If you do something to someone, I can understand the feeling to feel sorry for what you have done, but what about when you do something which is wrong but doesn't affect anyone but you?
If this will help, I’ll offer at least this much.

Yes, atheists really are human beings, just like you, right down to our shared DNA samples. Atheists retain elemental human foibles, flaws, and f***-ups like everyone else. Atheists may regret some choices made, or unmade, and then bear the ensuing consequences therefrom to be borne out by same. Atheists have personal sense of conscience, accountability, doubt, and regret, just like any other human being.

What atheists don’t do is look to/for any lent/"gifted" absolution or forgiveness from some invisible space entity/deity. I’d be willing to wager a sizable amount that you are unlikely to craft a letter to Santa begging him to forgive you of any “naughty” acts you may have been left to feel guilty about or regret in the last six months…since I would be just as unlikely to do so as well. Odd that we just might conjure a similar futility/pointlessness in that act, but you might then inquire or wonder why atheists would not do the very same thing in sought repentance or absolution from your god? Why indeed?

Does that not strike you as even remotely absurd?

Is there a concept of sin and repentance in Atheism?
Nope.

Is there any concept of disproof of Santa Claus in your beliefs?

Do you feel shame when He is watching, and puts you on his “Naughty” list?

You tell me...