• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you view death?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So were to a funeral today and I think my first actual or at least announced atheist funeral, so it were in a chapel, but no priest or any religious mish mash as the deceased had wished for in his own words :). He was much like me in the sense that he valued and put his love and trust in humanity. The ceremony was really good, with closes family sharing memories, there were even live music performed by my talented half cuisine. And the usually (at least from what im used to) sadness and joy. Personally I am a person that prefer to celebrate the life of the deceased and their memories rather than be sad about the lost. But obviously think that there should be room for both.

Anyway, it obviously got me thinking, because for me as an atheist, dead is end of the line, lights out or simply nothingness for the deceased.

But how do you as a religious person think about death? Because obviously a lot think that it is not end of the line, but maybe rather the ultimate prize to "finally" reach the end of the line and get to judgement day or what to call it. And I assume that most people hold the believe that the deceased is saved by Jesus, reincarnated or whatever afterlife you believe exist. So do you see it as a new and better beginning or end of the line?

Personally, given that I have been an atheist my whole life, I can understand the sadness of loosing someone as a religious person, but also if God and Jesus (if that is what you believe in) is the ultimate good and love, shouldn't one be happy for the deceased or if possible how would you describe it?

The End is just another Beginning.

Suave

Simulated character
But really, I only want to know the reason that you THINK you are living in a simulation!

Does your life not feel real? Do you feel as if you constructed and being manipulated every moment of your life?

Do you suspect that you couldn't exist without being created and driven by something else?

And how do you explain how that "somthing else" could exist without being created an d driven by something other than it -- and so forth unto infinty?

I mean really, shouldn't you have some basis for these suspicions? Or are you just repeating something somebody else said (who you never asked the questions I just did)?

Great questions!.. I do often feel like a programmed machine,, or like I'm just going through the motions of living.. Have you ever felt like that? As far as how did the sims controller living in base-reality come into being,? I dunno?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Great questions!.. I do often feel like a programmed machine,, or like I'm just going through the motions of living.. Have you ever felt like that? As far as how did the sims controller living in base-reality come into being,? I dunno?
No, I've never felt like that. Lots and lots of stuff has happened to me that I didn't cause, but I have always known that I was free to respond as I will.

I find it quite impossible to even imagine how anyone feels as if they've been programmed and have no control.

Suave

Simulated character
No, I've never felt like that. Lots and lots of stuff has happened to me that I didn't cause, but I have always known that I was free to respond as I will.

I find it quite impossible to even imagine how anyone feels as if they've been programmed and have no control.
I've lost my job and marriage last year, this year my elderly mom almost died from C.O.V.I.D.-19. I fear her lungs have been scarred , and now I've recently lost my enhanced unemployment benefits that I had been getting due to me being laid-off because of the C.O.V.I.D.-19 pandemic. I don't know if I can continue earning a decent income by flipping crypto-currencies. or day-trading stocks. I used to feel as though I could control most of my life, now I feel as though I can't control anything at all that happens to me. Maybe, I'm just suffering from a bit of depression.. I don't qualify for Medicaid, so I'd probably only get more depressed if I had to pay for antidepressants. Anyways, I guess all I can do, is just ride-things-out until the sims controller if willing turns my life around for the better.

idea

Question Everything
Anyway, it obviously got me thinking, because for me as an atheist, dead is end of the line, lights out or simply nothingness for the deceased.

As a believer in the laws of thermodynamics and conservation principles, I do not view death as the end of the line or nothingness - ex-nihilo principles died with Christianity for me.

Our atoms, energy, and intelligence will one day mix together my friend - united with all, eternally transforming and exploring new combinations and experiences :)

RestlessSoul

The End is just another Beginning.

As well as being Jim Morrison’s only friend…

Wonder where Jim went when he left? Somewhere good I hope. I’m tempted to play that song now, but it’s 7.00am over here, and my partner would think I’d gone mad if I did

RestlessSoul

I've lost my job and marriage last year, this year my elderly mom almost died from C.O.V.I.D.-19. I fear her lungs have been scarred , and now I've recently lost my enhanced unemployment benefits that I had been getting due to me being laid-off because of the C.O.V.I.D.-19 pandemic. I don't know if I can continue earning a decent income by flipping crypto-currencies. or day-trading stocks. I used to feel as though I could control most of my life, now I feel as though I can't control anything at all that happens to me. Maybe, I'm just suffering from a bit of depression.. I don't qualify for Medicaid, so I'd probably only get more depressed if I had to pay for antidepressants. Anyways, I guess all I can do, is just ride-things-out until the sims controller if willing turns my life around for the better.

In my experience things always do get better. My old nan (grandma) used to say, into every life a little rain must fall. Sounds like it’s pouring in yours just now, but the sun always comes out again in the end.

While you wait for that to happen, try to stay busy if you can. Do positive things, like exercise, even just going for walks. And you don’t have to believe in any god, or anything at all, to give prayer a go.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......................When a person dies to me if it is not manifest that they were saved (as it is with some holy persons) you pray for their salvation and offer Masses for their soul, that it would have been saved and for their purgatory, especially praying to God for them with Psalm 129 (LXX/Vulgate).
(All the above is in my opinion.)

I can agree that 'when a person dies it is not manifest that they were saved.'
I say this because at Matthew 24:13 Jesus plainly said the one who endures to the end is saved.
So, in the 'general resurrection' (Acts of the Apostles 24:15) what a resurrected person does 'after' they are resurrected will determine when saved (delivered / rescued) from any further death or destruction.
Thus, prayers for pardon and mercy are for living people - Psalms 130 KJV
Since the dead know nothing, nothing but sleep (John 11:11-14; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5) then there would be No need for prayers for them - Romans 6:7.
By their death they paid the full-total asking price for sin according to Romans 6:23.(Nothing beyond death itself) .
As there was No post-mortem penalty, No double jeopardy for dead Adam there is none for anyone else.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is an abbreviation on many Roman tombs that stands for the Latin words: I was not; I was; I am not; I care not.
The ^ above^ sounds just like Adam.
Adam was not, Adam was, Adam is not, (guess, cared not) - Genesis 2:7; Genesis 3:19.
In other words, all of Adam went from non-life, to life, and then 'returned back' to non-life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
As well as being Jim Morrison’s only friend…
Wonder where Jim went when he left? Somewhere good I hope.........
According to what Jesus and the OT taught I find Jim went to sleep. A dream-less sleep.
( John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 )
A temporary sleep until Resurrection Day (Jesus' Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years)
Jesus' Thousand-Year Day is a reason why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and unlock death for us - Revelation 1:18; 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So sorry for your loss.
A lot of people learn the hard way that we can't control most of one's life - Jeremiah 10:23; Jeremiah 17:9
Yes, 'ride things out': through prayer, Bible research study, and good uplifting association.
A person can't focus on oneself and also focus on another at the same time.
So, Jesus' advice of Matthew 24:14 to tell others about God's Kingdom (Daniel 2:44) that soon Jesus will bring about what he promised at Matthew 5:5 that humble meek people will inherit the Earth. Not a polluted Earth but a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was. This is because the wicked will Not be any more - Psalms 37:9-11