• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you see God?

Maya3

How do you really picture God.
I don't mean the form you have chosen to worship if you have one.
But how He/She/It REALLY looks.

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Influenced by popular images and the ignorance I'm bound by in this world, for the most part I can't help but picture Him this way. My blindness makes me see Him this way.

KrishnaTheWay.jpg

Remember, Arjuna needed divine sight to see Krishna as He really is, and this picture does not do justice by a an electron's size...

gita-136.jpg

Daemon Sophic

If God exists, then It would be vastly more than my finite imagining. But the image I hold is vaguely like this.

Picture in your mind, Stars. Space. Billions of swirling galaxies, and every mote of dust, every Hyrdrogen atom, beam of light, and every pitch black burning hell of a planets core.....for every one of the trillions and trillions of planets in our tiny fraction of the infinite universe. Now add in every living creature. Their thoughts: their loves: their joys: their fears and terrors: their peaceful and their horrifically violent deaths; here on this tiny world, and likely on trillions of other worlds. Now consider their distant, distant, distant grandchildren yet to be conceived: and their most ancient ancestors, long turned to dust; and every hope and dream that every one of them has ever spawned, struggled for, or is yet to be conceived. Include your own thoughts, from your earliest memories, to you reading the next word in this post. And without missing even a nuance of implied meaning from every one of them, consider every thought you might ever have yet in your lifetime, multiplied by every person, every dog, cat, ant, whale, and green tentacled aliens of Tau Lamda Minor. Out in all those stars, down to your trivial boredom from considering this tedious post. We are all nothing....and yet every infinite piece is infinitely cherished.
Now you are beginning to see a shadow of my thoughts on God.

Of course this all assumes that this "God" thing exists. :shrug:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to picture Vishnu somewhat translucent, ever expanding with all of creation within His form and Brahman/effulgence all pervading.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If God exists, then It would be vastly more than my finite imagining. But the image I hold is vaguely like this.

Picture in your mind, Stars. Space. Billions of swirling galaxies, and every mote of dust, every Hyrdrogen atom, beam of light, and every pitch black burning hell of a planets core.....for every one of the trillions and trillions of planets in our tiny fraction of the infinite universe. Now add in every living creature. Their thoughts: their loves: their joys: their fears and terrors: their peaceful and their horrifically violent deaths; here on this tiny world, and likely on trillions of other worlds. Now consider their distant, distant, distant grandchildren yet to be conceived: and their most ancient ancestors, long turned to dust; and every hope and dream that every one of them has ever spawned, struggled for, or is yet to be conceived. Include your own thoughts, from your earliest memories, to you reading the next word in this post. And without missing even a nuance of implied meaning from every one of them, consider every thought you might ever have yet in your lifetime, multiplied by every person, every dog, cat, ant, whale, and green tentacled aliens of Tau Lamda Minor. Out in all those stars, down to your trivial boredom from considering this tedious post. We are all nothing....and yet every infinite piece is infinitely cherished.
Now you are beginning to see a shadow of my thoughts on God.

Of course this all assumes that this "God" thing exists. :shrug:

That's exactly what Sri Krishna showed to Arjuna within Himself. There were sights, worlds and beings never before or since seen by anyone. He showed this Universal Form in mere minutes that seemed like eternity to Arjuna.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Everything that I look is God. Of course what he is, trascends any "view" or "look".

What I like of worshipping hindu Gods is that I now imagine a more concrete form when worshipping, so I tend to imagine him in the ways Shiva is depicted, likewise, I call him "Shiva" and associate him more with Shiva´s stories.

Sorry if I cannot separate much the way he "looks" to me from the deity I worship, it´s just that if I am talking a "personal" view, then it comes to my personal relationship with God, which happens through the personal deity I worship. If it is ALL his "image" then ALL images are his/Hers :D

Last edited:

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner

Maya

I think the answer is akin the answer for, "how beautiful is your lover?". It depends on how dilusional and in love you are.

apophenia

Let's try a few different tacks ...

Being infinite, god takes forever to fully see.

But that's what you are seeing now. "Now' is like one frame of an infinitely long movie. And apart from not being able to see the forest for the trees, 'seeing' itself is what is seen when one is seeing clearly.

You see ?

Sometimes, if you are really fortunate, something magical happens and your mode of perception changes in a way that allows you to 'see' differently. There are so many ways this can happen ... it is impossible to cover the range of possibilities, and some ways of seeing simply cannot be accommodated by our vocabulary and conventional concepts.

Mystical vision is self-revealing-wisdom. You'll recognise yourself when you see it.

Also there are visions with form, and also the experience of formlessness.

The best is the awareness of god seeing 'you'.

chinu

chinu

Maya
For juliet, god was in the form of romeo,
For laila, god was in the form of majnu,
For heer, god was in the form of ranjha,
For bin laden, god was in the form of jehaad,
For baghat singh, god was in the form of libration,
For buisnessman, god is in the form of money,
For john, god was in the form of jesus,
For maulana room, god was in the form of shmas tabrez,
For hanuman, god was in the form of ramchandra,
For guru angad dev, god was in the form of nanak,
For guru gobind, god was in the form of teg bahadur,
For love, god is in the form of love,
For ME, god is in the form of my BELOVED. :)

Maya3

I love all your answers!

I see God, or when I think of God I think of dark space with all the stars and planets in the background...then there is something bluish that vibrates with OM but it's kind of watery somehow though it's not water.

Daemon Sophic,
I loved your detailed description!

Maya

Andal

resident hypnotist
I see God in two ways. First is as the expanse of the universe, containing galaxies, stars, dimensions, life itself. That is how I see God when I'm contemplating big things. My preferred way is as the most beautiful and handsome person I could ever imagine. At one glimpse of him my heart is filled. I see him as best friend, lover, and beloved. All of the qualities that attract me in the material world he possesses and so much more.

Aum Hari Aum!

Maya3

I see God in two ways. First is as the expanse of the universe, containing galaxies, stars, dimensions, life itself. That is how I see God when I'm contemplating big things. My preferred way is as the most beautiful and handsome person I could ever imagine. At one glimpse of him my heart is filled. I see him as best friend, lover, and beloved. All of the qualities that attract me in the material world he possesses and so much more.

Aum Hari Aum!

That is beautiful!

Maya

Bob Dixon

>implying
For juliet, god was in the form of romeo,
For laila, god was in the form of majnu,
For heer, god was in the form of ranjha,
For bin laden, god was in the form of jehaad,
For baghat singh, god was in the form of libration,
For buisnessman, god is in the form of money,
For john, god was in the form of jesus,
For maulana room, god was in the form of shmas tabrez,
For hanuman, god was in the form of ramchandra,
For guru angad dev, god was in the form of nanak,
For guru gobind, god was in the form of teg bahadur,
For love, god is in the form of love,
For ME, god is in the form of my BELOVED. :)

Spoken like a true Sufi.

:p

Pleroma

philalethist
“Gods are real.

And these gods are everywhere, in all aspects of

existence, all aspects of human life.”

- James Hillman

Gods are anthropomorphic and they are real. You won't find them in this material empirical world. They are made up of God's stuff and they exist in our spiritual bodies and in all aspects of our human existence. The last thing you want is to not mess with them.