• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Handle Stress or Crises?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Lightkeeper said:
Do you appeal to a Higher Power? If you are a nonbeliever, how do you handle stress or crises?
If there's a problem going on in my life i try to fix it myself, always asking G-d for guidance. If it is something that is beyond my control i throw myself upon His mercy and humbly beg for aid.:162:

robtex

Veteran Member
I isolate myself to think a lot. I have a few key people whom I will ask. I exercise more.

Pah

Uber all member
A crisis means talking with QTpi as it is usually a family matter. If there is stress involved or just the stress of daily living, I do a semi-medatative thing with breathing and classical music or religious chants by monks. Just turning on the music immediately makes my whole body relax.

Bob

huajiro

I am very bad with dealing with stress. Because of this, I have pretty much sheltered myself succesfully (so far) against it. Funny thing is that I work in Sales!!! :)

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Meditation helps me relax. When I am very stressed, I meditate and may say a quick prayer, to whom, I'm not entirely sure.

cardero

Citizen Mod
robtex writes: I isolate myself to think a lot. I exercise more.
Robtex seems to BE on to something here. Exercise as well as meditation is a fine way to deal with stress or a crisis situation. Research has found that controlling your breathing to relaxing levels everyday does reduce stress which could alleviate many problems in your health and with a daily routine of exercise you can easily exert stress from your body.

Lightkeeper

huajiro said:
I am very bad with dealing with stress. Because of this, I have pretty much sheltered myself succesfully (so far) against it. Funny thing is that I work in Sales!!! :)
I am in sales also and I understand about the stress of it. I finally got to the point where I cut way down on my worrying about it. I have a "whatever" attitude. My saying has been never let them see you sweat. I also have the attitude that everyone loves a winner. When the customers ask about me and business I always say that I am great and there is lots of business. They then feel they have made a right choice and my stress level decreases.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I go for a walk. If that doesn't work, I call a friend and vent. If that doesn't work, I try to take some time off for a camping trip or get back to nature in some other way. And if that doesnt' work, I up my meds.

Lightkeeper

It's interesting how many people here use exercise or talking to a friend to relieve stress. No one so far has mentioned drinking. I don't drink but I have heard it is a temporary delay of stress and then compounds stress, because you haven't dealt with anything.

Mystic

What kind of sales are your guys in?

I'd be interested because I work with a bunch of sales people. There's nothing worse than getting a door slammed in your face. I know I couldn't do it.

I walk alot. That relieves my stress. When I walk I talk with God. It's amazing what he reveals to me.

Lightkeeper

Mystic said:
What kind of sales are your guys in?

I'd be interested because I work with a bunch of sales people. There's nothing worse than getting a door slammed in your face. I know I couldn't do it.

I walk alot. That relieves my stress. When I walk I talk with God. It's amazing what he reveals to me.
I sell office supplies and equipment. I don't take the door slamming personally, that's how I handle that stress.

Ceridwen018

Well, whenever I feel stress coming on, I quickly slip into my straight-jacket, put in my mouth gard, and make for the padded room that my parents have prepared for me in the basement. Things sort of go black after that, so I'm not really sure what goes on in that room, but I always feel better once I come to again...

Actually, I used to handle stress very poorly--I'd just kinda shut down and freak out. I've grown up a lot though, and have learned to just have a 'whatever' attitude like what Lightkeeper said. Allow me to clarify--a productive 'whatever' attitude. I just take a moment to chill and remember all of the starving kids in Africa and how much all of this doesn't matter, and then I divide and conquer.

Basically, I think you just have to learn that the outcome of the situation is going to be the exact same whether or not you stress about it. If anything, stressing out will only have a negative affect on things. Because I've always been a huge advocate of doing the smallest amount of work possible to reach the desired conclusion, I figure it goes against what I stand for to put in the work that stress takes, when ultimately it won't gain me anything. :)

Master Vigil

Being pessimistically optimistic, my stress has been quite small. However, there are (OF COURSE!!) those times when I just want to tear my whole apartment building down, and the others where I just wish to climb to a mountain top, and fast for 40 days. I use meditation. I meditate when I wake up, after I get home from class, after I eat dinner, and before I go to bed. Wow, now that I put in in words that is alot of meditation. HAHA!!! Probably like 4 hours worth a day. Eh, I got nothing on monks. But yes, meditation is how I cope.

Lightkeeper

Ceridwen018 said:
Well, whenever I feel stress coming on, I quickly slip into my straight-jacket, put in my mouth gard, and make for the padded room that my parents have prepared for me in the basement. Things sort of go black after that, so I'm not really sure what goes on in that room, but I always feel better once I come to again...

Actually, I used to handle stress very poorly--I'd just kinda shut down and freak out. I've grown up a lot though, and have learned to just have a 'whatever' attitude like what Lightkeeper said. Allow me to clarify--a productive 'whatever' attitude. I just take a moment to chill and remember all of the starving kids in Africa and how much all of this doesn't matter, and then I divide and conquer.

Basically, I think you just have to learn that the outcome of the situation is going to be the exact same whether or not you stress about it. If anything, stressing out will only have a negative affect on things. Because I've always been a huge advocate of doing the smallest amount of work possible to reach the desired conclusion, I figure it goes against what I stand for to put in the work that stress takes, when ultimately it won't gain me anything. :)
Very wise. And I might add stressing might make the outcome worse.