• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about Cloudcomputing?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
As my friends and I share different opinions about this subject, I was curious to see what the rest of this world thinks.

For the ones who do not know what cloudcomputing is, Cloudcomputing is having a cloud of computers on the internet share programs and information so that your computer does not have to anymore.

As example I'll give you Outlook that takes in your mail and saves it on the PC. If after that your internetconnection would get lost, you would still have your program on your PC, including the mail you downloaded.
A cloudversion would be GMAIL in where you have to go to internet to start the program (GMAIL itself) and your mail will be saved upon their servers.

On this very moment many parties are thinking about putting their software online instead of offline and several OS's are even going fully cloud. Like Google Chrome OS.

Some advantages:
You can reach your programs and data about everywhere in this world. Think Gmail, if You want to read your mail and you are not home, just take a different computer and check your mail there.
Speed, all those programs on your PC need to boot. Specially when booting up, just connecting to the internet or booting all your programs is a difference.
Hardware, Games can be played over a server that only need to show you the output. You are using the clouds graphical performance and no longer your own. If you have a crappy computer you could still have nice games if the cloud is "a strong computer"
OS, Cloud applications are run in a internetbrowser window. This means that many programs are instantly OS-free. Gmail works on a mac just as hard as on a PC.
Illigal activities: It is much easier to control everything on your own server than on someone elses PC.
One program: You no longer have to open several programs, all you need is your internetbrowser and a lot of shortcuts.
Safety: Your data is on another server, one that is always controlled. If you fail to have good protecting software, your cloud will protect your data.

Some disadvantages:
The obvious one: No internet? No play!
The same applies to the cloud, If Gmail is having an error, no way that you can read that one mail you are searching for.
Speed: This is the tricky part. We just started all this internetstuff. Will the servers/cloud/ISP's cope if you can play your games online, edit your movies online etc..
Hardware: You are stuck to the hardware of your cloud. Your pc can handle a bigger resolution than the cloud? Bad luck! You can no longer decide for yourself how much money great performance is worth to you, besides in picking which internetspeed you would like.
safety, your data is on the net. No matter the security, if you place data on there, it's vulnarable to the rest of the world.
Privacy: We already have no control on what data the internet saves of us. The more we put on the net, the more data will be collected.

What I noticed so far is that most "common" people prefer cloudcomputing. They just want to turn on their system, read their mail, surf the net, play some games. That's all.
Powerusers seem to be divided. The concept of cloudcomputing seems ideal, but you lose a lot of control.

What is interresting is that I noticed that Mac-users cheer a lot more for cloudcomputing than Windows-users. Linuxusers are divided.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Ohh one more thing, price!

Cloudcomputing will greatly change the prices of Computing. No longer will it be interresting to put loads of money in your PC. A triple videocardsetup will do as much as a singly card setup. Your PC's will be cheaper. However, many clouds will start asking monthly or per acces fees.
You will no longer have to pay a single amount of cash for one program, but you will get subscripted.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I like having all my stuff right here where I can see it. Having email and things online is plenty for me. I don't want to have to go interwebs if all I want to do is word processing, play music, watch movies etc. Right now I still have things I can do on the computer anyway, if the internet was to die. With the cloud system I couldn't! Email is fine - you need to be online to receive it anyway, and if there's a really important one you can still copy it to your computer. I'm not so much in favour of clouding.

~Windows user... :p

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Ohh one more thing, price!

Cloudcomputing will greatly change the prices of Computing. No longer will it be interresting to put loads of money in your PC. A triple videocardsetup will do as much as a singly card setup. Your PC's will be cheaper. However, many clouds will start asking monthly or per acces fees.
You will no longer have to pay a single amount of cash for one program, but you will get subscripted.

Screw having to pay monthly access. And I like my PC with all its bits :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For my business applications, cloudcomputing (cloudputing? clomputing? CC?) is unattractive:
1) Not all of my software is available out there.
2) I customized & my operating system & applications.
3) My internet connection at work isn't reliable enuf.
4) I like knowing that my software & data reside in my own machines.
5) I hate change. Change = work = grief

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
What if the server crashes?

What about maintenance - they'd need to go offline to do server maintenances of hardware and software updates.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
1) Not all of my software is available out there.
That would be a matter of time.
2) I customized & my operating system & applications.
You can customize gmail as well. As well as your browser.
I agree that internetapplications have less options.
3) My internet connection at work isn't reliable enuf.
And that's a thing, I agree.
4) I like knowing that my software & data reside in my own machines.
Same here..
5) I hate change. Change = work = grief
As a poweruser, I love changes!
In many cases they provide new functionality. (Although, in some cases they remove functionality :sad:)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I like the idea, despite some very real disadvantages.

Loss of control may be an issue, but far less so than it might seem. We have very little control about offline info and applications already.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
As a gamer with standard a LAN setup of 4 computers I have one other issue, speedwise I always like to break myself from the internet and put the 4 in LAN. I am not so fond of LAG..