• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you define the self?

standing_on_one_foot

Or the soul, or whatever you happen to call it. What is "you"? Is it seperate from your body? From your mind? Completly connected, not seperate at all? Your emotions, your thoughts, your intellect, what?

Master Vigil

In the end, there is no self. The soul one possesses in only a part of the great puzzle peace that is Tao. It is separate, yet connected, it is your mind, but also your heart, and also your emotions. It is everything, it is the force that binds the pysical, and the force that destroys the idea of self to help achieve enlightenment.

Reactions: Pah

cardero

Citizen Mod
What helps me to understand the human entity is that I identify it as a piece of space (land). But it is the only real physical property that we can actually call ourselves. I liken the human body as a house, a sometimes comfortable shelter a sometimes burdensome weight (I am, of course talking about waking up and aging), with utilities that are free but you still have to keep them up (I believe we all “renovate”). I don’t think that an honest soul encased in a human shell belongs exclusively to GOD or any one, I sincerely believe it belongs to everyONE-even through death.

Scott1

363 In Sacred Scripture the term "soul" often refers to human life or the entire human person. But "soul" also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him, that by which he is most especially in God's image: "soul" signifies the spiritual principle in man.

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not "produced" by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.

367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people "wholly", with "spirit and soul and body" kept sound and blameless at the Lord's coming. The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul. "Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Buddha taught the concept of anatta, or no-self; meaning in simplest terms, that the self is illusory, and impermanent.

meogi

Engyo said:
Buddha taught the concept of anatta, or no-self; meaning in simplest terms, that the self is illusory, and impermanent.
Anatta, is that Japanese? The only thing close to it that I know of is anata, or 'you' (referring to someone else). Of course, it could be one of those in-sayings or words, like Nemu-amida-butsu or bhodisatva, which I'm assuming it is. Anyway, enlighten me please. :)
standing_on_one_foot said:
How do you define the self?
I am. That's all I really need to define it.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Meogi -

Anatta is either Sanskrit or Pali, not sure which. So for that matter is Bodhisattva......

Master Vigil

Is anatta the same as anatman? That is what my religion books call it? I know atman is the self in hindu, but they also believe that everything is a part of brahma, therefore deleting the self, therefore buddha called it anatman. I'm sure its just the same thing as anatta, maybe just a different language?

Runt

I think the physical body gives rise to consciousness, IQ, will, and understanding. I think we confuse the totality of all these things with a third entity: the self, the soul, the spirit. If the self does exist, it is the combination of all the above, and not something in addition to the above. When the physical body dies, none of the above exist anymore... thus the totality of all the above, "self", ceases to be.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
For me the "self" or "soul" or whatever is the divine spark in each living person that gives us the ability to think rationally, to reason, to control our baser urges. It gives us a moral code that, whether we realize it or not, is part of us all. Now the question then becomes is that moral code nurtured and encouraged. Our experiences in life can sometimes change or even drastically warp our perceptions of right and wrong.
I believe the soul or consciousness or whatever is interwoven throughout our physical, mental and spiritual selves.

desi

Your soul is a trans-dimensional being with an independent will that filters through your mind to use your body. Your brain acts like an antenna to pick up your soul's vibe with which you control your body. People with mental disorders often have problems with their brains which screw up the reception. When our bodies die our souls are loose to either be ghosts or go back to God.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I agree with much JewScout wrote. Unfortunately, the spark has not enabled me to "think rationally" but maybe there's hope! :D

I also see a good side and a dark side to our souls. The former frees us, while the latter enslaves us. There is only way to be freed from "the Dark Side" and fighting Darth ain't it. I do all I can to nurture the good side, and to kill the demon within.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Universal Consciousness interpenetrates creation as water does a submerged sponge. Self is a tiny, limited, experience of this (Brahma).

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jewscout said:
For me the "self" or "soul" or whatever is the divine spark in each living person that gives us the ability to think rationally, to reason, to control our baser urges.
Jewscout, do you get the phrase "divine spark" from Judaism? I do not recognize it from scripture. The reason why I ask is because we use that phrase in UU all the time, refering to "the divine spark within each of us." I've interpreted that as coming from Hinduism, via Transcendentalism, but lately have been wondering whether we get that from Judaism or Christianity.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
lilithu said:
Jewscout, do you get the phrase "divine spark" from Judaism? I do not recognize it from scripture. The reason why I ask is because we use that phrase in UU all the time, refering to "the divine spark within each of us." I've interpreted that as coming from Hinduism, via Transcendentalism, but lately have been wondering whether we get that from Judaism or Christianity.
You know what i don't know if it comes from any scripture or anything. It's just a phrase i've always used. Sorry i can't help:confused:

No*s

Captain Obvious
standing_on_one_foot said:
Or the soul, or whatever you happen to call it. What is "you"? Is it seperate from your body? From your mind? Completly connected, not seperate at all? Your emotions, your thoughts, your intellect, what?

I come in with Scott...and I would specify further that the "self," while composed of that is the sum total of who I am :).

huajiro

I believe that my being is something not defined by my physical body. Even if I were a mass of chemicals I would find a way to exist.