• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you decide what's most important in scripture?

whirlingmerc

Most often said? Most plainly said? Most terse? Most plain?
do you have a hermeneutic for that? (hermeneutic and eureka coming from the same greek word)

And there are always those feisty short bursts...

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.01.35 PM.png

see The stacccato psalms

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 9.15.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 9.15.17 PM.png
    838.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
do you have a hermeneutic for that? (hermeneutic and eureka coming from the same greek word)

View attachment 18533

see The stacccato psalms

Matthew 22:36-40

36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself."

40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

View attachment 18533

see The stacccato psalms

When I practiced, it was usually what spoke to a recent experience or situation I was going through. More poetic scriptures, though like Psalms and Proverbs. Not the historical like in the beginning of the bible and the wars. That always makes me close the bible.

As for your spiritual needs, I'd say whatever verse answers your thoughts or something. It's how you interpret it. One verse to me can me something totally different than that same verse to you. That's why depending on the bible is off, in my opinion. If one is a christian, go to christ. The message should be the same from him, I'd assume.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In any scripture, I value any passages that help me become a more loving person and of more value to God's world.

arthra

Baha'i
I would suggest approaching scripture in a neutral way. Be conscious of the surrounding circumstance in which the scripture was revealed. Allow the scripture to "speak" to you of itself...

For the word of God is living and all-efficient, and much sharper than a double edged sword, and it pierces to the separation of soul and spirit and of joints, marrow and of bones, and judges the reasoning and conscience of the heart.

- Hebrews 4:12

31:30 And Moses spake in the ears of all the congregation of Israel the words of this song, until they were ended.
32:1 Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass: 32:3 Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.

- Deuteronomy

They who took not the field with you will say, when ye go forth to the
spoil to take it, "Let us follow you." Fain would they change the word of God.
Say: Ye shall by no means follow us: thus hath God said already. They will
say,. "Nay, ye are jealous of us." Nay! they are men of little understanding.

(The Qur'an (Rodwell tr), Sura 48 - The Victory)

We have in Our possession a science of which, should We convey but one word to the beings, every one would be made to believe in the Manifestation of God and His Knowledge, and be acquainted with the secrets of all sciences, and attain a position whereby they would find themselves able to dispense with the sciences of both the ancients and moderns.

~ Baha'u'llah

(Provisional Translations, Suratu'l-Haykal )

allfoak

Alchemist
The Bible is written in the language of the soul.
One must first learn the language in order to understand what is written.