• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do Some Churches Square Their Acceptance of Homosexuality with the Bible?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

In light of the Bible's hostility toward homosexual behavior what is the logic behind the acceptance of homosexuals (1) as members, (2) marrying them, and (3) even ordaining them, by some Christian denominations?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't think any denomination would accept anyone whose continuing life style was deserving of capital punishment.

Well, collecting wood on Saturday was also deserving of capital punishment.

ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Have they squared ignoring the Sabbath?

They seem to have squared not executing people working the Sabbath. They appear to have squared accepting eating shrimps, too, among other things.

ciao

- viole

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The churches changed because they can not imagine God not loving LGBT people and they can imagine writers in the Bible not being right about everything. Makes sense.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yep, isn't heal advice always changing

yes, you guys change a lot. There are already plenty of places where you ignore scriptures. This begs the question why this latest one is so special for you.

Ciao

- viole

Galateasdream

Without reading all the posts (sorry), my take is that different churches accepted homosexuality and/or homosexual sex acts in differing ways:

a) Some found ways to interpret the scriptures (usually by understanding the injunctions as against specific forms of homosexual sex, like temple prostitution) in ways that allowed homosex under certain contexts (like a monogamous marriage).

b) Some saw such injunctions as being wholly cultural and since culture changed it was now permissible (somewhat akin to how a lot of churches shifted their view on women wearing head coverings).

c) Some read scripture as having a built-in hierarchy with Jesus being the chief arbiter - so subjugating things like the Mosaic or Pauline injunctions under Christ's silence or law of love.

d) Some don't hold to biblical inerrancy and so can simply say that on that issue the various biblical authors got it wrong, no doubt because they were a product of their generation and culture. They might also see it in terms of progressive revelation and see the outworking of the Holy Spirit in the Christian shift in attitude over time.

e) Some may have found other ways, like through an act of special revelation that is held to supersede scripture or something.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
e) Some may have found other ways, like through an act of special revelation that is held to supersede scripture or something.
It annoys certain Mormons when I say this.
But I expect them to be leading the way towards Christian marriage equality in the near future.
This is for two basic reasons.
1) They are very family oriented.
Homophobia both disrupts existing families and also precludes the establishment of new ones. Homophobia is not family friendly.

2) They have an established tradition of changing the official church stance on social issues. LDS used be dominated by racist polygamists. But that was then, and this is now.

So, I expect the LDS to become an institutional supporter of marriage equality sooner than most denominations that size.
Tom

GardenLady

Why are so many Christians so very focused on this particular issue? There are far more young hetero couples having premarital sex than there are gay couples. There are probably more hetero spouses committed adultery than there are gay couples. There are so many involved in the other deadly sins. And yet, some Christians are all about gays. Why focus on this?

GoodbyeDave

How do churches come to reject Biblical teaching on homosexuality? The same way in which they reject the death penalty for blasphemy (Lev. 24.16) and adultery (Lev. 20.10), or Paul's endorsement of slavery. It's called progress.