• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do Some Churches Square Their Acceptance of Homosexuality with the Bible?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because there is practically nothing in the whole bible, and certainly nothing whatsoever in the teaching of Christ in the New Testament - which is what is supposed to be most important to Christians - about homosexuality.
Then you may want to consider:

OLD TESTAMENT

Leviticus 18:22 (NLT)
22 “Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.

Leviticus 20:13 (NLT)

13 “If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.

NEW TESTAMENT

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NLT)

- Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Romans 1:26-27 (NLT)

26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

Skwim

Veteran Member
That’s like saying, well nowadays churches are marrying interracial couples and the parishioners are refusing to own slaves. When in the very recent past, they did not.
Yeah times changes, churches change. That’s just reality.
As I recall, the only difference being that the Bible never said people of different races could not marry, or that one had to own slaves.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The list is kinda long.

"Love your God, love your neighbor as yourself, the rest is details".

"What you do for the Least, you do for Me."

And one of Jesus's biggest meta-messages was "Scripture is good for learning. But don't take it too seriously or literally."

That's a start.
Tom
Thanks.

sooda

Veteran Member

OLD TESTAMENT

22 “Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.

13 “If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.

NEW TESTAMENT

- Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

Jesus:

Matthew 19:12. (ASV) For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men: and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Jesus:

Matthew 19:12. (ASV) For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men: and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.
In as much as "eunuch" describes "a man who has been castrated, especially (in the past) one employed to guard the women's living areas at an oriental court," I fail to see the relevance. .
Source: Oxford Lexico.

sooda

Veteran Member
In as much as "eunuch" describes "a man who has been castrated, especially (in the past) one employed to guard the women's living areas at an oriental court," I fail to see the relevance. .
Source: Oxford Lexico.

Seems you are correct.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What do

OLD TESTAMENT

NEW TESTAMENT

You must really have some problems with homosexuals if you have to quote scripture to stop them from treating LGBT people with respect.

Iymus

Because today some denominations have begun accepting homosexual members, marrying them, and ordaining them, when in the very recent past they did not.

Pauline Pharisees say Works dont matter and Salvation is unconditionally Eternal.

Perhaps soon marrying to mans best friend along with other animals and prepubescent children will probably be legal.

If you give us an inch or imply it, then expect for us to take a mile.

Jer 17:9 KJV The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Preaching Faith without works / accountability then people act suprise of the end results.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

In light of the Bible's hostility toward homosexual behavior what is the logic behind the acceptance of homosexuals (1) as members, (2) marrying them, and (3) even ordaining them, by some Christian denominations?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't think any denomination would accept anyone whose continuing life style was deserving of capital punishment.

A Letter to Louise is a pretty good description of how one pastor managed it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Perhaps soon marrying to mans best friend along with other animals and prepubescent children will probably be legal.
Perhaps soon voting by mans best friend along with other animals and prepubescent children will probably be legal.
We let women do it after all. Where will it end?
Tom

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
In light of the Bible's hostility toward homosexual behavior what is the logic behind the acceptance of homosexuals (1) as members, (2) marrying them, and (3) even ordaining them, by some Christian denominations?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't think any denomination would accept anyone whose continuing life style was deserving of capital punishment.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry to be that guy who posts an hour-long video, but it really is worth it to understand a progressive Christian take on the subject.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't think any denomination would accept anyone whose continuing life style was deserving of capital punishment..
As usual, identifying the problem is a good place to start eg ─

Tanakh:

Genesis 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; 5 and they called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them." 6 Lot went out of the door to the men, shut the door after him, 7 and said, "I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known man; let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please; only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof." 9 But they said, "Stand back!" And they said, "This fellow came to sojourn, and he would play the judge! Now we will deal worse with you than with them." Then they pressed hard against the man Lot, and drew near to break the door. 10 But the men put forth their hands and brought Lot into the house to them, and shut the door. 11 And they struck with blindness the men who were at the door of the house, both small and great, so that they wearied themselves groping for the door. 12 Then the men said to Lot, "Have you any one else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or any one you have in the city, bring them out of the place; 13 for we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it."

Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.

Deuteronomy 23:17 "There shall be no cult prostitute of the daughters of Israel, neither shall there be a cult prostitute of the sons of Israel."

Judges 19:22 As they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, base fellows, beset the house round about, beating on the door; and they said to the old man, the master of the house, "Bring out the man who came into your house, that we may know him." 23 And the man, the master of the house, went out to them and said to them, "No, my brethren, do not act so wickedly; seeing that this man has come into my house, do not do this vile thing. 24 Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine; let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing." [and so on]

1 Kings 14:24 and there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD drove out before the people of Israel.
Paul:

Romans 1:24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. 28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct. 29 They were filled with all manner of wickedness, evil, covetousness, malice. Full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malignity, they are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts,10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9 [...] the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 immoral persons, sodomites, kidnapers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,
It's sometimes argued that the crime of Sodom was not anal intercourse but inhospitality (and arguably that it wasn't destroyed for that specific conduct gets some support from Ezekiel 16:49).

But the rest seems to be good old-fangled homophobia, pure and simple.

So in the unlikely event that I find myself in charge of a Christian church, and the question comes up, I'll advise the congregation that God now realizes that sexual orientation is not really a matter of choice, and so has had to change [his] mind on the subject, just as [he] changed [his] mind about slavery, and (by and large) divorce.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
As I recall, the only difference being that the Bible never said people of different races could not marry, or that one had to own slaves.

And yet oddly people still used Biblical based arguments for exactly those things. To be fair many used the Bible to argue the opposite.
I strongly believe that people will get out of religion what they want and are specifically searching for, including their Holy Books. For better or worse.

PruePhillip

The same way they ignore other ugly parts of the bible. Like the parts where Jesus taught self-mutilation, or taught people to hate themselves and their own families. The bible is full of toxic, nasty ideas, and even Christians recognize it. They still pretend it's the word of a god, but they (thankfully) ignore most of it.

When Jesus said to hate your own family he meant it in the sense
that your family becomes secondary to the Gospel - people left their
homes, families and jobs and went out 2x2 preaching.

james bond

I don't know how they reconcile it, but I think the liberal churches have some kind of statement of operation or local church policy that allows it. It does cause people to get their faces all scrunched up over it and people are quick to condemn either side. Then there is the overarching church that presides over it.

ETA: I've heard the stories of those who attend various inter-church activities since I'm Methodist and we just decided to split the church. What's also troubling is the liberal churches could be racist -- Liberal Methodists Toss Out the Africans | The American Conservative.

The Bible clearly states what is an abomination. It's just that homosexuality isn't the only one.

84 Bible verses about Abominations

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry to be that guy who posts an hour-long video, but it really is worth it to understand a progressive Christian take on the subject.
By the way although he does a nice job, he misses an observation about Romans 1. He could strengthen his argument.

He overlooks the false assumption (which Paul seems to accept in ignorance) that the use of sperm degrades later ejaculations. In fact the phrase 'Degradation of their bodies' ought to be an indication of this. We now know for a fact that sperm and egg do not degrade over time from overuse, but there are multiple indications in scripture that this is an assumption people make, that they think sperm and egg became of less quality with use. We now know that the eggs run out no matter what and that the sperm never loses its character due to usage but only over time and with age. The bad assumption is plainly similar to other assumptions about reproduction. In Genesis its assumed that if lambs frolic under certain berries it will affect the color of their offspring. Matthew doesn't touch this in his discussion. Perhaps he doesn't feel like he can make the case for it, but he may have overlooked it.