• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I work the eightfold path?

Bret2140

I have come to realize the Four Noble Truths to be all to true in my life and I would like to work the Noble Eightfold Path in order to alleviate myself of attachments and suffering.

What do I do? Where do I start? Do I just meditate a lot and I'll start doing the Path automatically? It all seems very confusing at first glance.

I would greatly appreciate help with this. Thanks in advance.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I have come to realize the Four Noble Truths to be all to true in my life and I would like to work the Noble Eightfold Path in order to alleviate myself of attachments and suffering.

What do I do? Where do I start? Do I just meditate a lot and I'll start doing the Path automatically? It all seems very confusing at first glance.

Start with Right View (impermanence) and right intention (elimination of suffering) and the rest should come on their own.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Start with Right View (impermanence) and right intention (elimination of suffering) and the rest should come on their own.

Good advice.

Right view

Leads to..

Right intention
leads to*
Right speech
*leads to
*Right action
leads to
*Right livelihood*
leads to
*Right effort
leads to
*Right mindfullness
leads to
*Right concentration..
.leads to..
.first step on the wheel.*

Goes round and round. :0)

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Great thread. I have often pondered the same question.. You can read voluminous books on the 8 fold path, it can start to seem like so much to remember and keep track of.. so how does one go about incorporating it into their lives?

Perhaps I am wrong, but I tend to think of the 8 fold path as a general outline of what naturally happens when one makes a conscious effort to be more aware, realize impermanence and interconnectedness, and to uproot the causes of suffering in one's life; rather than something that can be systematically achieved. It's a delineation of a natural process that still requires effort of course, but focused primarily upon only a few core values or truths. If one were to systematically evaluate themselves each day according to the 8 fold path, their would be no end to such introspection, for you could find potentially infinitely many things in which you need to improve upon.

Maybe I'm wrong, and there is a better way to view the 8 fold path. The Sutra crossfire shared seems pretty helpful

von bek

The Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path to Nirvana include each other within themselves. The Fourth Noble Truth is the truth of the Eightfold Path leading to the cessation of suffering and rebirth. The first path is Right Views. What are right views? The Four Noble Truths are the beginning of Right Views.

Each step of the Noble Eightfold Path is dependent upon the others. Without Right Views, it is difficult to form Right Intentions. From Wrong Intentions come Wrong Speech and Wrong Action. Without Right Effort there will be no Right Mindfulness or Right Concentration.

Bret2140

What would an example of the Right Veiws be?

I am assuming the Noble Eightfold Path is something that you apply in every situation through out your day to day life.

What would be the Right Veiws to have in a situation of long term unemployment?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

I am assuming the Noble Eightfold Path is something that you apply in every situation through out your day to day life.

Right view:
  • Knowing stress and being able to identify stress
  • knowing and being able to identify the source of stress
  • knowing and being able to identify the path leading to the ending of stress.

This is what Buddhism is all about--contemplating the origin and the cessation of stress.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste

by contemplating the four noble truths ..

The noble truth of suffering ( dukkha) ....realising the unsatisfactory nature of life ...birth , ageing , sickness and death )leading us to undestand its imperminant nature .
The noble truth of the origin of suffering ...through desire , clinging and aversion our afflictive emotions are the cause of our suffering .
The noble truth of the cessation of suffering .....realising that there is a method of overcoming suffering by following
The noble truth of the path leading to the cessation of suffering .....the noble eight fold path .

thus the four noble truths constitute Right view (or right understanding) ..it is simply realising the four truths to be infailable ...

Right intention , then becomes the desire to follow the eight fold path to follow the principles . (right thought or right motivation)

these first two constitute the practice of wisdom

Right speech, ... (the first ethical practice), one begins here by contemplating the the value of right speach , that which is in accordance with the truth , is considerate , free from harshness , harmonious and cindusive to the well being of all . one then endeavours to put these principles into practice ,
Right action, .....contemplates the value of ethical behavior , through non violence , non covetousness , non stealing , one contemplates the benifits of generosity kindness and compassion .
Right livelihood , ....as it suggests dictates that we do not earn our living by any manner which is detremental to others , that by our work we are of benifit to our family and comunity .

having contemplated the values of ethical behavior one then endeavours to put these principles into practice ,

Right effort , ...Right mindfullness and ...Right meditation , ....relate to concentration ... firstly by applying the neccecary effort , the neeccecary mindfullness and training in meditation

deepening of these states will help us to gain further realisations in the practice of wisdom , and to develop the will and concentration to practice the ethical restraints .

so the constant practice of each in rotation deepens ones understanding and resolve in each of the other areas .

so to answer what one might do during a period of unemployment ?

some suggestions ....use ones time wisely to practice the eight fold path , and deepening ones dharma practice .

contemplate the possibility of taking on some benificial charity or voluntary work that might help others .

prehaps put some time into retraining for a new kind of work or profession .

do not become depressed , allways think of and find the benifits in any situation , as all situations are temporary it is unwise to dwell too deeply upon things like missfortune .

best wishes and best of luck

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste :namaste

So when meditating I should be trying to find out whats causing me stress

when Buddha identified life as Dukkha He identified more than stress , he realised the un satisfactiry nature of life , he accknowledged its temporary nature and that it was grasping at this imperminance that was the cause of our suffering.

at first one meditates in order to learn to still the mind , then one learns to rest in the state of perfect ballance where by one maintains awareness but can remain detatched from such eflictive emotions as stress . one does not need to meditate on the cause of personal stress one simply needs to learn how to detatch onself by stilling the mind .

if we study the four knoble truths we will become familiar with the Buddhas teachings , the nature of suffering will then become apparent . if we contemplate this before meditating , meditation becomes an expolration of the true nature of self that is naturaly free from stress .

this is why the eight fold path is split between the cultivation of wisdom , the practice of ethical restraint and the deepening of medditative awareness .

Bret2140

at first one meditates in order to learn to still the mind , then one learns to rest in the state of perfect ballance where by one maintains awareness but can remain detatched from such eflictive emotions as stress . one does not need to meditate on the cause of personal stress one simply needs to learn how to detatch onself by stilling the mind

Ok, so from what I understand; when I fisrt start Meditation it should be done to give my mind a break.

So I should try not to think about anything while meditating. At least at first.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Others have kicked in good information, but the word "right" needs to be explained a bit. It may sound as if there's only one way-- the "right" way-- but that's not the best interpretation. Instead, substitute "most appropriate" instead.

The reason for this is rather logical if one stops and meditates on that alone, namely that a "right action" under one circumstance may be the wrong action under another.

Second piece of advice, consider yourself a "work in progress", so be patient with both your meditation and your understanding. These will all fall into place over time, so don't try and rush it. IOW, walk before trying to run.

Get a good book on meditation as there are all different forms and reasons to meditate, including no reason at all. My favorite is "Stages of Meditation" by the Dalai Lama, but there's plenty of others out there as well.

You might also want to check out this website: BuddhaNet - Worldwide Buddhist Information and Education Network

Take care and good luck.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ok, so from what I understand; when I fisrt start Meditation it should be done to give my mind a break.

So I should try not to think about anything while meditating. At least at first.

It all depends on what you're really trying to do. Clearing of the mind is essential with all forms of meditation, and doing that successfully may take a while. After that, there's different things you might want to do. For example, "contemplative meditation" may have you concentrate maybe on one item to analyze it by trying to get to what I call "the bottom line" or the "nitty-gritty". IOW, what is its "essence", if I can use that word? This is great for problem solving. But you can and should just meditate even if you have no reason at all.

BTW, you may have to adjust your meditation based on your psychological makeup and your functioning during the day. For example, I use sitting meditation morning and evening but not during the late morning or early afternoon, and the reason for the latter is that my "monkey-mind" won't stop chattering at that time. Therefore, my meditation then is to use walking meditation, which works well with me.

Bret2140

BTW, you may have to adjust your meditation based on your psychological makeup and your functioning during the day. For example, I use sitting meditation morning and evening but not during the late morning or early afternoon, and the reason for the latter is that my "monkey-mind" won't stop chattering at that time. Therefore, my meditation then is to use walking meditation, which works well with me.

As someone who suffers from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Bipolar Disorder; learning to meditate seems like a daunting task.

Would taking a mild sedative ,such as chamomile, before meditation disrupt or aid the meditive process in my situation?

Twilight Hue

If you have difficulty regarding right view, as a suggestion, start with light livelyhood as you likely be focusing there in light of your unemployment.

The 8 fold path has no particular starting point hence depicted as a wheel.

Right livelyhood can take you around to right view, and any insight pertaining to right view should manifest and become clear as you travel the wheel.

Twilight Hue

It's first recommended to count breaths as you sit. This will help develop your focus and detachment will become more fluid in dealing with with rising thoughts and dissipation.