• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I know which religion is right for me?

I know everyone is probably beyond tired of hearing me talk about this, but I'm having doubts in my own beliefs again. I was doing well on my path to Judaism, but then something happened and now I'm at a cross road between Christianity and Judaism. Both religions seem so nice and peaceful, but which one is the one that is supposed to fit right for me? I ultimately want something that will bring me as close to G-d as possible, but it's hard to know which religion holds that path when both teach a lot of similar things (like to love your neighbor and help the poor). I believe that as long as you do good deeds while you're here on earth, you'll get a happy ending after you die, so that's not my problem. My problem is that I love the core principles and teachings of Judaism, but I also love Jesus and his teachings too. I can't have my cake and eat it too. I have to make a decision. But which one...?

I picked up a teen study bible from the library (I figure I'm still young enough to read one of those) and I'm hoping I'll have the patience to read through it. But I wanted to know from you guys if this is a good first step in my trying to find the path that is right for me?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know everyone is probably beyond tired of hearing me talk about this, but I'm having doubts in my own beliefs again. I was doing well on my path to Judaism, but then something happened and now I'm at a cross road between Christianity and Judaism. Both religions seem so nice and peaceful, but which one is the one that is supposed to fit right for me? I ultimately want something that will bring me as close to G-d as possible, but it's hard to know which religion holds that path when both teach a lot of similar things (like to love your neighbor and help the poor). I believe that as long as you do good deeds while you're here on earth, you'll get a happy ending after you die, so that's not my problem. My problem is that I love the core principles and teachings of Judaism, but I also love Jesus and his teachings too. I can't have my cake and eat it too. I have to make a decision. But which one...?

I picked up a teen study bible from the library (I figure I'm still young enough to read one of those) and I'm hoping I'll have the patience to read through it. But I wanted to know from you guys if this is a good first step in my trying to find the path that is right for me?

In my opinion, I'd choose Judaism. They have Messianic Jews. I think they are Jews that believe in Jesus as the Messiah.

Think beyond "love thy neighbor" and all of that. What do these core religions teach?

I only know christianity. If you believe you need to die to self in order to live-literally be crucified to one's spirit to live a holy life, from what I know, that's quite different than service to god in Judaism. In Judaism there is no human sacrifice in the regards to christ/human sin.

So do you relate to dying in order to live a new life or committing yourself to service to god without needing to die in the process?

Do you value life or death? This is important (in my opinion). Christianity teaches that in order to live eternally, you have to die to the flesh/to sin. People actually gave their physical lives/bodies in order to be with god in spirit.

While other abrahmic religions live to servive god on earth. They don't have a definition of god nor in part a definition of heaven. Christiantiy is different.

How do you feel about believing in a god you cannot define?
Will he become not personal to you anymore or the other way around?

Christians come to jesus because jesus makes god personal. Without jesus, they have no connection to god. It's beyond love thy neighbor. It's a literal connection and dependency on jesus in order to be with the creator.

Do you need a physical person to connect you to the creator?

How do you define creator?

Also, unlike christianity, you can't just "be a jew." Here is some easy information about Judaism. I'd say do you believe in the core tenants. A lot of faiths believe love, compassion, etc.

But do you believe in the actual facts of their faith.

Judaism 101

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I'd suggest starting by deciding what you believe regarding Jesus. If you think he anything other that a man who lived and died, Judaism isn't going to be the right fit for you.
In my opinion, I'd choose Judaism. They have Messianic Jews. I think they are Jews that believe in Jesus as the Messiah.

No, we don't. "Messianics" are Christians, plain and simple. They play no part in Judaism.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
In the same vein that Catholics, Mormons, and Jehovah's Witnesses aren't really Christians, right?
No clue. I always assumed that since they all believe Jesus to be the messiah and followed his teachings (which is what Messianics do) they were all Christians.

Is that incorrect?

MJFlores

The world's 20 largest religions and their number of believers are:
  1. Christianity (2.1 billion)
  2. Islam (1.3 billion)
  3. Nonreligious (Secular/Agnostic/Atheist) (1.1 billion)
  4. Hinduism (900 million)
  5. Chinese traditional religion (394 million)
  6. Buddhism 376 million
  7. Primal-indigenous (300 million)
  8. African traditional and Diasporic (100 million)
  9. Sikhism (23 million)
  10. Juche (19 million)
  11. Spiritism (15 million)
  12. Judaism (14 million)
  13. Bahai (7 million)
  14. Jainism (4.2 million)
  15. Shinto (4 million)
  16. Cao Dai (4 million)
  17. Zoroastrianism (2.6 million)
  18. Tenrikyo (2 million)
  19. Neo-Paganism (1 million)
  20. Unitarian-Universalism (800,000)
Even Christianity is divided into 40,000-43,000 different denominations with different beliefs from each other.

Islam on the other hand is also divided and has off shoots:
  1. Sunni Muslims include 84%–90% of all Muslims.
  2. Shi`ite Muslims comprise 10%–16% of all Muslims.
  3. Sufis are Islamic mystics.
  4. Baha’is and Ahmadiyyas are 19th-century offshoots of Shi`ite and Sunni Islam, respectively.
  5. Druze, Alevis, and `Alawis are small, sectarian groups with unorthodox beliefs and practices that split off from Islam.
Even Judaism is divided - There are three main kinds of Judaism: Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox Judaism. There are also kinds with a smaller number of people, such as Reconstructionist Judaism, and Karaite Judaism. Each group has its own practices according to how it understands the Jewish laws.

With such diversity, it is easy to shop a religion.

upload_2017-6-22_8-40-14.jpeg

But the thing is which one will not waste your time and money?

upload_2017-6-22_8-59-9.jpeg

Which one will lead to salvation and which one will lead to perdition?

Where is the truth? What is the truth?

Matthew 7:13
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

images

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It i
I'd suggest starting by deciding what you believe regarding Jesus. If you think he anything other that a man who lived and died, Judaism isn't going to be the right fit for you.

No, we don't. "Messianics" are Christians, plain and simple. They play no part in Judaism.

It is his decision not yoursnby definition. Messianic jews are christians who incorporate judaism in to their beliefs. Its "their" view of judaism as they syncronize it with christianity.

They believe they are jews who believe in the messiah living the OT. If they were just christians they woulsnt consider their faith part jewish.

Whether it is accurate or not, it is not my place to say. Its up to the OP. Its easy to look up and as people about it. Just hope everyone is nice about the genuine questions of which beliefs are worth taken up.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It i

It is his decision not yoursnby definition. Messianic jews are christians who incorporate judaism in to their beliefs. Its "their" view of judaism as they syncronize it with christianity.

They believe they are jews who believe in the messiah living the OT. If they were just christians they woulsnt consider their faith part jewish.

Whether it is accurate or not, it is not my place to say. Its up to the OP. Its easy to look up and as people about it. Just hope everyone is nice about the genuine questions of which beliefs are worth taken up.
The OP didn't say anything about Messiantics.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I always assumed that since they all believe Jesus to be the messiah and followed his teachings (which is what Messianics do) they were all Christians.

Is that incorrect?
Just brushing over the notions of Messianic Judaism, it looks like they're just Jews who believe Jesus to have been the Messiah. I assume this would cut out stuff like Paul's teachings, and much of the political dogma of the Early Church.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Just brushing over the notions of Messianic Judaism, it looks like they're just Jews who believe Jesus to have been the Messiah. I assume this would cut out stuff like Paul's teachings, and much of the political dogma of the Early Church.
In actuality, most are not Jewish in any way. They tend to be Evangelical Christians who incorporate Hebrew and Jewish festivals into their practice. Many groups, like Jews for Jesus, target Jews in an effort to convert them to Christianity.

As I said, they have nothing to do with Judaism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The OP didn't say anything about Messiantics.

Sheesh. Reread my original post. I offered advice that if he is in between judaism and christianity, maybe he can look at Messianic Christianity.

I'm not a Jew and I'm not a practicing Christian.

It was a suggestion and a two sentence one at that. So what's the problem?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Sheesh. Reread my original post. I offered advice that if he is in between judaism and christianity, maybe he can look at Messianic Christianity.

I'm not a Jew and I'm not a practicing Christian.

It was a suggestion and a two sentence one at that. So what's the problem?
I was clarifying bad information.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Take this for what it's worth, but being Jewish wouldn't preclude you from seeing Jesus as a teacher. I mean, he was Jewish also. It would preclude you from seeing him as the son of God, etc.

trablano

Maybe it would be good to go camping in nature and be alone and meditate about all of it. I'm a universalistic polytheist, so I'm probably far from your beliefs, but I know that sometimes you have to take steps to find a God speak to you. When I stay in my room and weep and pray then often nothing happens. But when I make the right steps things get in motion. For example, each year I spend a week camping through the city in parks and in my sleeping bag and spend my time with God. In those times I am happy, but when I sit in my flat I am usually not so happy. There is something to be said for a nomad's life. It's hard in winter but it has its secrets. I also revere hinduism so I know a tiny bit about the ascetics that live on the road. You always find something from God. Just don't do drugs and such. You have to be non-demanding from material life, if you reach that step you can be at peace everywhere. Hermann Hesse wrote about it in his books "Knulp" and "Siddhartha".

Milton Platt

Maybe none???? Why don't you read up on the scientific understanding of the world as it is known to be? If none of the religions square with what we know to be true, then reject them in favor of reality.

Hawkins

If it's not because of salvation, religions are all optional. You can live well without any religion. You don't need any religion unless it affects your dead or alive. So it boils down how well a salvation is provided, or else you don't need a religion. As a historical record, Judaism saves virtually no gentiles (that's you ) in the past 2000 years. At best, it saves today's 20 million Jews out of 7 billion humans. Christianity saves whoever believes, which is up to 1/3 humans who ever calling upon the Lord's name.