• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do computers roll dice?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It is a starting point, an initial value.

When we use a very common form of pseudorandom number generator, using the same seed number twice means that the numbers generated in the next few uses of that generator will be identical sequences.
Is it possible to use multiple seeds to generate a pseudo-random number?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Put a print-out of pi to 3 gazillion digits on a wall.
Have a blind computer controlled robot throw a
dart at it during a hurricane while drunken union
plumbers jostle it. Whatever digit the dart is closest
to is quite random.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It certainly is, although there would be the matter of deciding why it is still called a seed in that case.

If you are thinking that it might help in making the numbers more difficult to predict or more random, I suppose that would make them parameters as opposed to seeds.

Or I may be misunderstanding your question. Very possible.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
the numbers generated in the next few uses of that generator will be identical sequences.
Why only the first few?

Why would only the first few numbers in the sequence be identical?

Why would later ones be different?

Yerda

Veteran Member
I am currently playing the computer game Bauldur's Gate 3 in which certain game outcomes are determined by a roll of a dice

How do computers roll dice?

How do they randomise things?
Within a computer are lots of little circuits and what the do is, to get technical, perform magic.

:p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why only the first few?

Why would only the first few numbers in the sequence be identical?

Why would later ones be different?
I think I misspoke.

It is possible to make algorithms that would change the pseudorandom numbers after a while... but that was not what I was thinking about.

You are correct; given the same seed (and the same prime number parameters internally) those algorithms would indeed consistently provide the very same numbers, in the same exact order.