• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians justify killing?

logician

Pacifism is not "do-nothingism" (you didn't say so, I'm just putting that out there). If you think Jesus advocated or permitted violence in any form, please provide some indications of that. Given the vision of Jesus' ministry and teachings throughout the NT, I in fact defy anyone to find passages which, taken in context, authorize a Christian to do violence to another person, period. In this whole thread, I've heard a lot of philosophy but very little theology (which was, of course, the business Jesus was about). So let's have it, folks. Show me from Jesus' example, teachings, or ministry that violence is sometimes permissible for the Christian. I double-dog dare ya. :D

So you are against all wars?

gnostic

The Lost One
scuba pete said:
Well, now that we know he even CLAIMED to be. But really. True Christianity has nothing to do with labels and everything to do with love. That is the embodiment of Christianity: love.
scuba pete said:
Here comes the twist. That is precisely what I did not say. I made no comment on any other religion and especially made no comment about how they perceive love. I only know Christianity, and so I have kept my comments confined to that.

But yes: all loving peoples are following Christ either by choice or by chance, regardless of their stated beliefs. All people who hate, do not follow him, no matter how loudly they proclaim that they do. Go figure.

So if I was married, and I am very loving to "my mistress" (another woman), then would I be considered a true Christian? :foot:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I understand how any other abrahamic religion can allow for killing in extreme circumstances, but I'm confused as to how one can profess to devoutly follow the teachings of Jesus, yet justify taking a life... Isn't the entire basis of the Christian philosophy forgiveness? I'd really appreciate clarification on the subject. Thanks! :)

You'll forgive me for not trawling though this enormous thread......it is the first time I have seen it.

As I understand it, Killing can never be justified. However, there are occasions where not to kill would be a greater sin than to kill.

nawab

Dear Bro,

Since Christianity does not allow killing why are these verses in The Bible

And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death. Leviticus 24:!6

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:36

And, as for those who would not have Me be king over them, bring them before Me and slay them Luke 19:27

I dont think that Jesus told his disciples to get swords to cut vegitables - Pls explain

A true Christian can not justify killing, whether it be murder, military, or self-defense. Killing is not in line with the teachings of Jesus.

That said, something that is in line with the teachings of Jesus is infinite forgiveness. So, even a a person who kills is not lost to God.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
I understand how any other abrahamic religion can allow for killing in extreme circumstances, but I'm confused as to how one can profess to devoutly follow the teachings of Jesus, yet justify taking a life... Isn't the entire basis of the Christian philosophy forgiveness? I'd really appreciate clarification on the subject. Thanks! :)

Isn't that why there's confession? A few hail mary's and your forgiven.