• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians justify killing?

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
I understand how any other abrahamic religion can allow for killing in extreme circumstances, but I'm confused as to how one can profess to devoutly follow the teachings of Jesus, yet justify taking a life... Isn't the entire basis of the Christian philosophy forgiveness? I'd really appreciate clarification on the subject. Thanks! :)

Khale

A true Christian can not justify killing, whether it be murder, military, or self-defense. Killing is not in line with the teachings of Jesus.

That said, something that is in line with the teachings of Jesus is infinite forgiveness. So, even a a person who kills is not lost to God.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Not all Christians are trapped in the Bible.
What?
There must be SOMETHING in the Bible, seeing as its source is the only source for info on Jesus, that makes people think that killing is not justifiable according to Jesus.

I ask for a verse simply because I do not recall Jesus stating anything along the lines of "you must not kill for any reason."

but isn't suaside bad aswell if you know someones going to kill you unless you kill him are you not in fact commiting suaside by not killing him?

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
I'm not sure if he ever directly says to never kill, and I'm not talking about the distinction between murder and kill, I understand the difference. But there are numerous lines throughout the gospels that profess unending forgiveness. Maybe it's just me, but I see killing and/or murder as the ultimate lack of forgiveness. I mean, the man literally professed love for the people nailing him to a cross. To be Christian (i.e. to be like Christ) would entail professing unending mercy and love, even to the people who mean to harm you and yours. Is this not true?

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
but isn't suaside bad aswell if you know someones going to kill you unless you kill him are you not in fact commiting suaside by not killing him?

I would disagree, because if that is the case then Jesus commited suicide by allowing the Romans to take him without a fight...

McBell

but isn't suicide bad as well if you know someones going to kill you unless you kill him are you not in fact committing suicide by not killing him?
I do not know.
However, it seems to me that if even thinking of having sex with someone is the same as actually have sex with them, then it stands to reason that even thinking about killing is the same as killing them.

Khale

Thinking about having sex with someone isn't the same as having sex with someone. People are people that is bound to happen. As for verses, I'll dig some up as soon as I get off work.

McBell

I would disagree, because if that is the case then Jesus commited suicide by allowing the Romans to take him without a fight...
Yes he did.
And what is the problem with that?

It is also suicide if you willingly give your life so another may live.
Yet giving up your life for another is considered by most the most noble/honourable thing one can do.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
I do not know.
However, it seems to me that if even thinking of having sex with someone is the same as actually have sex with them, then it stands to reason that even thinking about killing is the same as killing them.

How is thinking about having sex with someone the same as having sex with them? I don't understand that...

McBell

Thinking about having sex with someone isn't the same as having sex with someone. People are people that is bound to happen. As for verses, I'll dig some up as soon as I get off work.
Then you disagree with Jesus:
Mat 5:27-28
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

McBell

How is thinking about having sex with someone the same as having sex with them? I don't understand that...
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Khale

Definition of suicide according to Merriam-Webster: the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally especially by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind.

Following this, giving up your life - unless it is literally you pulling the trigger - would not constitute suicide. Even if you throw yourself onto the mercy of the merciless there is always a sliver of chance.

Khale

Then you disagree with Jesus:
I disagree with Matthew. That is to say, I disagree with how you have interpreted Mathew.

McBell

Suicide:
The act of causing ones own death. Suicide may be positive or negative and it may be direct or indirect. Suicide is a positive act when one takes ones own life.

Suicide is a negative act when one does not do what is necessary to escape death such as leaving a burning building.

Suicide is direct when one has the intention of causing ones own death, whether as an end to be attained, or as a means to another end, as when a man kills himself to escape condemnation, disgrace, ruin, etc.

Suicide is indirect (and not usually called suicide) when one does not desire it as an end or a means, but when one nevertheless commits an act which courts death, as in tending someone with SARS knowing that they may well succumb to the same illness.

Suicide definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms