• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Love Evolve

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gtrsgrls said:
Perhaps it didn't and it was created along with everthing else.A feeling can't evolve.Because everything that evolves needs something to evolve from.Does it not?
Interesting point; not from the point of view of Love as in 'I Love you' Love, but more in the context of our appreciation, say, of art. Certainly, we humans have had to change our perception, through the centuries as concerns appreciation of music, or painting.

I think I am right in saying that J.S Bach was considered a revolutionary in music, and his music shocked people at first. Meanwhile, I am still trying to keep up with Van Gogh............:biglaugh:

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
Perhaps it didn't and it was created along with everthing else.A feeling can't evolve.Because everything that evolves needs something to evolve from.Does it not?

Feelings developed with the evolution of the brain. They are primarily chemical in nature and are often the consequence of cognitive dissonance. If the mind expects 'A' and doesn't get it, it produces a reaction. If the mind is does not want 'C' and gets it, it produces a reaction. These reactions are what we "feel".

AtheistAJ

gtrsgrls said:
Perhaps it didn't and it was created along with everthing else.
1) How did god create love if "god is love"?
A feeling can't evolve.
2) How do you know that? I think the opposite.
Because everything that evolves needs something to evolve from.Does it not?
3) Your last sentence contradicts your first.
4) Gods would also need something to evolve from if they were real.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
gtrsgrls said:
The neurochemical and neurological mechanisms that produce emotion can and most certainly do evolve.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Sunstone said:
The neurochemical and neurological mechanisms that produce emotion can and most certainly do evolve.
Sunstone, although I don't disagree with you. I do not know why you say it with such conviction when there is still lots of mystery in all this.

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:
Sunstone, although I don't disagree with you. I do not know why you say it with such conviction when there is still lots of mystery in all this.

~Victor
I think enough is known at this time to reasonably suppose that the emotions evolved, the mystery is largely in precisely how they evolved. Very little seems to be known about the latter. The next 20 years should be exciting times in neurobiology!

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
I think enough is known at this time to reasonably suppose that the emotions evolved, the mystery is largely in precisely how they evolved. Very little seems to be known about the latter. The next 20 years should be exciting times in neurobiology!

What about when non-matter and non-physical triggers an emotion? Is that not mysterious?

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:
What about when non-matter and non-physical triggers an emotion? Is that not mysterious?

~Victor
Such cases would indeed be mysterious. They would also be beyond the power of science to investigate.

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
Such cases would indeed be mysterious. They would also be beyond the power of science to investigate.
But yet it happens to everybody in their lifetime....Interesting.

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:
But yet it happens to everybody in their lifetime....Interesting.

~Victor
I agree to the extent that I think there are mysterious experiences which happen to some people. I am not at all sure whether such experiences happen to everyone, and that may be part of the mystery of them.

Pah

Uber all member
gtrsgrls said:
It evolved as adaptive behavior from the drive to continue the speices. Being cared for is seen as love - care means survival. Genetically the biological process is in place when a mother loves and cares for her child. The biological process was the result of the same circumstances happening in early animals.

Fatmop

And to beat a dead horse:
"Feelings" don't evolve. Animals do. You can't really talk about 'love' evolving by itself, unless you treat love as an entity that exists outside the mind. When talking about how love evolved, always make certain you realize that it is evolving within a species, and such evolution is observable.

Angama

Pah said:
It evolved as adaptive behavior from the drive to continue the speices. Being cared for is seen as love - care means survival. Genetically the biological process is in place when a mother loves and cares for her child. The biological process was the result of the same circumstances happening in early animals.
I dont get this. To care for someone or something is only enough for survival, would it not? Love seems to go beyond that.

AA

Pah

Uber all member
Angama said:
I dont get this. To care for someone or something is only enough for survival, would it not? Love seems to go beyond that.

AA
We can agree, I hope, that the quality of care effects survival. Isn't love of the highest calibre?

It may be difficult to see the concept when love has so many guises through history

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
sandy whitelinger said:
So, just how did love evolve?
Hey Sandy,

Congratulations, you have posted a thread that cannot be dismissed on a scientific non theistic basis. As many different viewpoints have been stated, there seems to be an agreement of sorts that love is a mystery. Without this mystery our world would come to a screeching halt. Sure, love may have a biological factor as we can see forms of it in the animal kingdom and I have had pets that loved me. What has yet to be established is why we have such an advanced consciousness when it is not evolutionarily neccessary for our survival and continuation as a species. Electro-chemical stimulus and response? I don't think so. There is so much more in our minds than that.

Craig

AtheistAJ

Maybe humans have evolved emotionally so that they can survive long periods of time amongst others. Humans are animals that spend most time amongst others of the kind compared to other animals, but I don't think emotions are necessary for survival. Maybe high emotions in human brains are there to compensate for lack of intelligence our way of life requires to be flawless.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Bennettresearch said:
Hey Sandy,

Congratulations, you have posted a thread that cannot be dismissed on a scientific non theistic basis. As many different viewpoints have been stated, there seems to be an agreement of sorts that love is a mystery. Without this mystery our world would come to a screeching halt. Sure, love may have a biological factor as we can see forms of it in the animal kingdom and I have had pets that loved me. What has yet to be established is why we have such an advanced consciousness when it is not evolutionarily neccessary for our survival and continuation as a species. Electro-chemical stimulus and response? I don't think so. There is so much more in our minds than that.

Craig
I think, perhaps, that what I'm seeing is that there is a wide interpretation as to what love is. i think I will do a scriptural study of it and I think it will be something different than what most are talking about here. I might start with the idea that love is an action ie: God so loved the world that He gave.....