• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Love Evolve

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
sandy whitelinger said:
I could? Why do I have to do the work? I haven't found any evidence to support the evolution of love and was hoping perhaps some new something more about this. Or just maybe it's unexplainable.
What's unexplainable in the roles that oxytocin, PEA, or other neurotransmitters play in what we call love?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Because the quote "Greater love has no man.." is not a fact, it's an opinion. If it cannot be proven, it's kind of a pointless factor to be brought up and does not add to the debate except to confuse the issue.

Pah

Uber all member
sandy whitelinger said:
I could? Why do I have to do the work? I haven't found any evidence to support the evolution of love and was hoping perhaps some new something more about this. Or just maybe it's unexplainable.
You haven't found any evidence BECAUSE you haven't looked

JerryL

You have nothing to base that on and it does not add to the argument.
He could base it on:

"I'm not familiar with neuroscience." post #22.

You are inferring that you have indeed looked for the evolution of love; but you've directly claimed that you are not familiar with the field that you would have to look in to find it.

JerryL

A useful argument to those who believe that there is a God and that God loves us. (though I'm still not sure you've offered compelling causality).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This is slightly off topic (but not really); I saw a T.V programme not that long ago where a guy was asked to view various girl's faces - say out of 100 faces, which was he attracted to.

The info was put in a computer to 'map' the faces, and there was found to be a definite correlation in the structure of the faces that attracted him; if I remember rightly it was as complex as angles between eyes, nose & mouth.........

A composite was made to represent the 'perfect girl' (according to the guy who was tested).

That picture was put in amongst say 50 photos of other girls, and they were all shown to a group of young men. These guys were 'wired up' to detect changes in heart rate, respiration, whatever.............. Every single guy apparantly reacted more to that particular composite than to any other picture.

The brain is a wonderfully complex ' biological computer'; the study of which fascinates me....alas, mine needs replacing.:D

JerryL

The brain is a wonderfully complex ' biological computer'; the study of which fascinates me....alas, mine needs replacing.:D
You installed Service Pack 2 again didn't you? :p

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Because the quote "Greater love has no man.." is not a fact, it's an opinion. If it cannot be proven, it's kind of a pointless factor to be brought up and does not add to the debate except to confuse the issue.
This quote came from Christ which would make it a fact and not an opinion.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
JerryL said:
He could base it on:

"I'm not familiar with neuroscience." post #22.

You are inferring that you have indeed looked for the evolution of love; but you've directly claimed that you are not familiar with the field that you would have to look in to find it.
I based my response on the fact that certain chemicals were offered as an explaination without any explaination of what they are for.

What I have found is that there some attempts at saying love is nothing more than a chemical reaction. This offers nothing in the way of posing a case for love being the product of an evolutionary process.

JerryL

What I have found is that there some attempts at saying love is nothing more than a chemical reaction. This offers nothing in the way of posing a case for love being the product of an evolutionary process.
You are correct. Saying the love is physical does not establish its origin. I'd imainge that arguments have overlapped (I'm engaged in an argument with someone who'se pushing that love is not physical).

That said, understandin the processes involved do indeed help you then look for similar processes in other animals and look at how love evolved. It's a nebulous term, and a broad question (as one must do more than simply establish that love exists outside humanity, but show its progression). Honestly, I think it's far easier to remove any supposed barriers to love evolving, establish evolution, and then point out that evolution is the only established available mechanism, and is sufficient to teh task.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
sandy whitelinger said:
This quote came from Christ which would make it a fact and not an opinion.
So, therefore, if I were to post a quote from one of my gods, it would be a fact and not an opinion?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
So, therefore, if I were to post a quote from one of my gods, it would be a fact and not an opinion?
I suppose. Is one of your gods the supreme God and therefore making it's statements fact?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
sandy whitelinger said:
I'm not familiar with neuroscience. Are those chemicals where love springs from?
Oxytocin is a neurotransmitter that among other things causes that famous warm and fuzzy feeling.

PEA is a neurotransmitter that among other thingss causes that famous giddy feeling.

Both feelings are normally associated with certain kinds of love.

There are numerous neurotransmitters involved in the feelings we associate with love, oxytocin and PEA being just two of them.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Oxytocin is a neurotransmitter that among other things causes that famous warm and fuzzy feeling.

PEA is a neurotransmitter that among other thingss causes that famous giddy feeling.

Both feelings are normally associated with certain kinds of love.

There are numerous neurotransmitters involved in the feelings we associate with love, oxytocin and PEA being just two of them.
Are these chemicals the root cause of love or are they activated by something else?