• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How could Mary have been a virgin?

Smoke

Done here.
THe problem is, scripture is a story of fiction, not historical fact, you're the one being ridicluous.
This is the rarest of occasions, but I actually agree with Sandy. Whether it's fiction or not -- and I agree that it is -- there's not going to be a marriage certificate, and there aren't going to be witnesses who observed Mary's every action for the year preceding Jesus' birth. Demanding evidence that wouldn't exist even if the story were factual doesn't do anything at all to make the case that it's not factual; it just looks like you're baiting the Christians for your own entertainment.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
am i like the only christian that doesn't believe Mary was a virgin? I think callign her a virgin was merely a form of reverence to her, because she stayed pure and virtuous before she was married to joseph.

I could be wrong but i've always been taught that God works in a natural order of things.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
am i like the only christian that doesn't believe Mary was a virgin? I think callign her a virgin was merely a form of reverence to her, because she stayed pure and virtuous before she was married to joseph.

I could be wrong but i've always been taught that God works in a natural order of things.
Yes, you are the only one.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sandy said:
What we know about Mary comes from Scripture. Scripture says she was betrothed. Joseph wished to become unbetrothed because of the pregnancy but God intervened and convinced him that this was of the Lord.

Jesus also commanded the death of children who curse their parents, but I know of no Christians who believe this is moral.

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -- Thomas Jefferson

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

You're welcome to disagree with scripture but it clearly points to the virginity of Mary in numerous passages. It can also be interpreted that others new as well of the illegitamacy of the birth when the pharases' said that they have Abraham for their father and questioned the fatherhood of Jesus.

A

angellous_evangellous

This belief is certainly not a part of Christian traditions or confessions, but many radical Protestants have denied the virginity of Mary.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Most Christians believe that Mary was a virgin at the time of Jesus' birth because the Bible says so. But there is a dispute between the Catholics and Protestants about Mary being a perpetual virgin. They differ on whether Jesus had brothers and sisters.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Not just the Roman Catholics, but all the historic churches affirm the perpetual virginity of Mary.

That is true..
However there are many members of those churches who do not believe it to be so.
Just because a church has set article of belief does not mean every one believes them.

The perpetual virginity is not mentioned in the 39 articles of faith in the Anglican Church.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I believe the Jesus story is a myth, but nevertheless, if Mary and Joseph were married, how could she have been a virgin? Was someone keeping track of the bedroom activities?
If you believe the story to be a myth, why bother asking this question? Wanting factual proof for something you believe to be a myth doesn't seem very logical to me.

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
I was taught that words and their meaning change over time.

This being said the first birth of any woman at one point was concidered virginal. Quite honestly if God could knock up Mary that many years ago why hasn't he since. I'm sure there would be just cause for it....

JMO