• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How consistent are you in your beliefs?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
How consistent are you in your beliefs (rules you live by)?

Beliefs in this thread is not only as in religious beliefs; general beliefs (rules you live by)
We had a few threads on abortion (yes or no), but what you do if the meds that could save you contain tissue from aborted fetuses?

1) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list? *)
2) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
3) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list *)
4) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
5) IF your religion does not allow it (kosher, halal, X) would you take meds with a 'no go' ingredient list? *)

*)

And what would you do IF this would be the only way to not die if you get the disease (80% don't die)
(Or do you stick to your resolution not to eat animal/fetes/X, and accept living in seclusion)
(To make the choice interesting; living secluded will keep you 100% safe, while meds give 80% safety)

Note: I am vegetarian, and was googling on ingredient lists of meds, and discovered that they use stuff in it, that I never would have expected. Hence it got me thinking. I know that other vegetarians can be quite strict, but what if your life gets in danger, you dare to stick to it? And I know that some religious people are forbidden to eat certain stuff (suppose it's not kosher or not halal or aborted fetus in it). What would you do?

Note: With food I had been thinking about it before. Being vegetarian, I just don't go to north pole and south pole. And when stranded on an island with only option to eat humans, I'll pass on such meal, even if it is crispy well done not visible human.

Note: Maybe better not to read this thread, because what you don't know, won't bother you.
Bit confused. Are you asking multiple questions? Dietary choices? Religious debates? Consistency in miscellaneous areas eg politics....?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Bit confused. Are you asking multiple questions? Dietary choices? Religious debates? Consistency in miscellaneous areas eg politics....?
I try to make it more clear

I just found out that a medicine they want to "force all people to take" contains lung tissue of aborted male fetus. As vegetarian, it got me thinking.
Would you accept to be forced to take such a medicine?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I try to make it more clear

I just found out that a medicine they want to "force all people to take" contains lung tissue of aborted male fetus. As vegetarian, it got me thinking.
Would you accept to be forced to take such a medicine?
I'm not aware people can be forced to take a medicine (at least in the UK).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
BUT I still use this pair of shoes, as the animal already died for me, when I was unaware, hence it would feel as lack of gratitude to throw them away (harm has been done already).
The animal probably died a natural death or was killed for meat. It did not die for you (Buddha, if offered non-veg., you can eat it). Well, they use yeast in making bread. Is baking yeast with bread OK? Perhaps not kosher by your standard. Buddha said 'Middle Path', Hindus say 'Ati Sarvatra Varjayet' (Excess anywhere is to be avoided). The rest 'yes' or 'no' is your choice.

stvdv

Are you in the Netherlands?
(I would think compulsion might be a contravention of your rights...)
I would think so. But many rights we were used to are gone out of the windows since 2020. IF we don't speak out, they will continue doing this. Always good to fight for your rights, esp. when rights are being challenged, as is happening in recent times (better 1 step ahead; to return to before the "new normal" is not easy)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I would think so. But many rights we were used to are gone out of the windows since 2020. IF we don't speak out, they will continue doing this. Always good to fight for your rights, esp. when rights are being challenged, as is happening in recent times (better 1 step ahead; to return to before the "new normal" is not easy)
Are you in the Netherlands?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How consistent are you in your beliefs (rules you live by)?

Beliefs in this thread is not only as in religious beliefs; general beliefs (rules you live by)
We had a few threads on abortion (yes or no), but what you do if the meds that could save you contain tissue from aborted fetuses?

1) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list? *)
2) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
3) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list *)
4) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
5) IF your religion does not allow it (kosher, halal, X) would you take meds with a 'no go' ingredient list? *)

*)

And what would you do IF this would be the only way to not die if you get the disease (80% don't die)
(Or do you stick to your resolution not to eat animal/fetes/X, and accept living in seclusion)
(To make the choice interesting; living secluded will keep you 100% safe, while meds give 80% safety)

Note: I am vegetarian, and was googling on ingredient lists of meds, and discovered that they use stuff in it, that I never would have expected. Hence it got me thinking. I know that other vegetarians can be quite strict, but what if your life gets in danger, you dare to stick to it? And I know that some religious people are forbidden to eat certain stuff (suppose it's not kosher or not halal or aborted fetus in it). What would you do?

Note: With food I had been thinking about it before. Being vegetarian, I just don't go to north pole and south pole. And when stranded on an island with only option to eat humans, I'll pass on such meal, even if it is crispy well done not visible human.

Note: Maybe better not to read this thread, because what you don't know, won't bother you.

Reality is not consistent. My beliefs are not consistent. My rules are more rules of thumb in that they are only rules as long as they remain useful.

My choice of actions is pretty flexible depending on the situation I'm dealing with.

stvdv

I'm surprised such a country would be thinking it can do that.
Oh, they know they need extra effort to get people to do what they want ... a bit of brainwashing (ads etc) is needed they mentioned :D

I am surprised looking at many countries in the world how quick they control and are able to manipulate people; amazing.

stvdv

Reality is not consistent. My beliefs are not consistent. My rules are more rules of thumb in that they are only rules as long as they remain useful.

My choice of actions is pretty flexible depending on the situation I'm dealing with.
Yes, most of my life is going with the flow. I am Atheist under the Atheists, and Theist when under the Theist. Very useful if I don't want to end up in debates:D. One thing I am quite consistent, and that is not eating animal food. Oh, and I am consistent in having lots of faith in my Master Sai Baba of Shirdi/Parthi, and also in Jesus. And I am consistent in not lying ... oh that is not true. Sometimes I drink coffee though I know it's not good for me, so that would be a lie (I know what is the best to do, but don't do it). Tough one to overcome.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, most of my life is going with the flow. I am Atheist under the Atheists, and Theist when under the Theist. Very useful if I don't want to end up in debates:D. One thing I am quite consistent, and that is not eating animal food. Oh, and I am consistent in having lots of faith in my Master Sai Baba of Shirdi/Parthi, and also in Jesus. And I am consistent in not lying ... oh that is not true. Sometimes I drink coffee though I know it's not good for me, so that would be a lie (I know what is the best to do, but don't do it). Tough one to overcome.

I have no hard fast rules about these things. However, I believe each person is free to choose when/where to be consistent and when not to.

It does bug me, those who take upon the authority for themselves to make this decision for others.

stvdv

I have no hard fast rules about these things. However, I believe each person is free to choose when/where to be consistent and when not to.

It does bug me, those who take upon the authority for themselves to make this decision for others.
Yes, those are not my favorite company either. Lucky for me I am quite busy to solve my own challenges, so I have no time to think what's good for others; they better figure that one out for themselves, I have to figure it out myself too ;)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
To be more accurate, you have base beliefs which are concrete (such as Jehovah being the only true God and Jesus being the Messiah), but there are beliefs you currently have that are subject to change depending on "New Light" by the JW organisation or depending on your own further understanding of the bible.

One must have the courage of their convictions.....if anyone is doubting, and defects, they will sever their own ties with Jehovah who, as "a God of order", has only ever had one "people" who are dedicated to "doing the will of the Father". (Matthew 7:21-23) If one of Jesus' own apostles can defect, and reject the truth, so can anyone else.

2 Chronicles 15:2, to his ancient people and their King God said...
"....Jehovah is with you as long as you prove to be with him; and if you search for him, he will let himself be found by you, but if you leave him he will leave you."

He 'abandoned' the unfaithful Jews after he had fulfilled his covenant with Abraham to produce the promised seed through his descendants. The old covenant was replaced with the foretold "new covenant" that Jesus made with his apostles, who were all Jewish, keeping his promise to produce their Messiah. Those taken into that new covenant were now Jehovah's "people". But "weeds" were to be sown among the "wheat" so a fake form of Christianity was to infiltrate the same field (the world) and satan was identified as the "sower". (Matthew 13:24-30; 36-42)

As part of his prophesy on the last days, Jesus was to appoint a "faithful and discreet slave" to "feed" his entire household their "food at the proper time". (Matthew 24:45) By placing 'his' identity behind a question, he indicated that it might be difficult to spot 'him' because of the prevalence of the "weeds"....but find him we must, and we need to accept the food that he is serving to his fellow slaves. We cannot find him on our own however.....Jehovah is the one who invites those in whom he sees potential to qualify for citizenship in his incoming Kingdom. (John 6:44; 65) No one can come to the son without an invitation from the Father. Invitations can be withdrawn if the person fails to maintain their faith to their death.

"New light " (Proverbs 4:18) is actually "brighter light" that is constantly revealing more details as the end of this system of things draws ever closer. Doctrinally, nothing really changes, but our understanding of things pertaining to the Kingdom is clarified and enhanced....Jesus told us to expect persecution and hatred as our separation from the "weeds" is now complete. Just as the Jews were the strongest enemies of Christianity at the conclusion of the Jewish system, so those in Christendom would be the strongest enemies of Christ's wheat-like disciples at the end of this system of things. (John 15:18-21) If we are not hated and persecuted, then we aren't true Christians.

The door of opportunity will soon be closed, and those who find themselves outside of the "ark" will not fare well. Those who jump ship, either get tired and drown or they get eaten by the sharks. Same result. (Matthew 24:37-39; 1 Peter 3:18-21; 2 Peter 2:20-22)

It is we who must meet God's requirements, not the other way around.....and we are no more perfect that Christ's original apostles....