• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How consistent are you in your beliefs?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But how are we to know which of the myriad laws attributed to God by the various religions are the correct ones?
My teacher electronics once made a great remark "it's not important what you learn, but that you learn how to solve new problems". Not all university degrees are the same, but you pick the one that fits you, and excel in it. That will prepare you for the journey of life. Same with picking a Religion IMO

stvdv

Explain what you mean by "consistent"?
You google on consistent, I am pretty sure the definition you pick won't be that far off. All the others who replied might give you an idea also.

And if you choose an unexpected definition, maybe I and others might learn something new;)

MNoBody

usually until I see some results....good ones encourage me, the others usually indicate time to look elsewhere

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How consistent are you in your beliefs (rules you live by)?

Beliefs in this thread is not only as in religious beliefs; general beliefs (rules you live by)
We had a few threads on abortion (yes or no), but what you do if the meds that could save you contain tissue from aborted fetuses?

1) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list? *)
2) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
3) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list *)
4) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
5) IF your religion does not allow it (kosher, halal, X) would you take meds with a 'no go' ingredient list? *)

*)

And what would you do IF this would be the only way to not die if you get the disease (80% don't die)
(Or do you stick to your resolution not to eat animal/fetes/X, and accept living in seclusion)
(To make the choice interesting; living secluded will keep you 100% safe, while meds give 80% safety)

Note: I am vegetarian, and was googling on ingredient lists of meds, and discovered that they use stuff in it, that I never would have expected. Hence it got me thinking. I know that other vegetarians can be quite strict, but what if your life gets in danger, you dare to stick to it? And I know that some religious people are forbidden to eat certain stuff (suppose it's not kosher or not halal or aborted fetus in it). What would you do?

Note: With food I had been thinking about it before. Being vegetarian, I just don't go to north pole and south pole. And when stranded on an island with only option to eat humans, I'll pass on such meal, even if it is crispy well done not visible human.

Note: Maybe better not to read this thread, because what you don't know, won't bother you.

I'm not a vegetarian by no means, but the only meat I eat is fish, chicken, and eggs. The micro details I have no clue.

I'm consistent in my sexuality, creativity, and healing practices (mind/spirit/body).

I'm not too consistent with religious beliefs as system. Just sporadic practices that means something in itself but I don't have a "god/creator" to attribute my practices to if any god, goddess, et cetera for that matter.

Not sure what else I'm somewhat consistent in. I assume as we get older, we understand things are not fixed. We may be christian one day but ten years later we may find another path closer to home (or the path finds us). So, maybe there's a balance.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Good on ya. See Matthew 6:25.
Do what's right and let the chips fall where they may.

But how are we to know which of the myriad laws attributed to God by the various religions are the correct ones?
We are free to choose our God are we not.....whose fault is it if we choose the wrong one?
If we are following the true God we can expect that he will be taking care of those who put his Kingdom first in life...not those slaving for the trappings of wealth.

Taken in context Jesus' words at Matthew 6 are part of the Sermon on the Mount....what was he saying then in verse 25?

Matthew 6:
"No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot slave for God and for Riches.

25 On this account I say to you: Stop being anxious about your lives as to what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your bodies as to what you will wear. Does not life mean more than food and the body than clothing? 26 Observe intently the birds of heaven; they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they are? 27 Who of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span? 28 Also, why are you anxious about clothing? Take a lesson from the lilies of the field, how they grow; they do not toil, nor do they spin; 29 but I tell you that not even Solʹo·mon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. 30 Now if this is how God clothes the vegetation of the field that is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much rather clothe you, you with little faith? 31 So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to wear?’ 32 For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. Your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things."

When Jesus said "on this account" he was relating this verse to what came before and after it.

What was the lesson? The "life" Jesus spoke of was "everlasting life" which is why it harmonizes with Luke 9:23-25.

He finished up by saying...."Keep on, then, seeking first the Kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you. 34 So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles."

What great advice! If we put God first, he will take care of us by seeing us through our trials and helping us concentrate on which "life" is more important. That life is a reward for enduring this one. (Matthew 24:13)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are free to choose our God are we not.....whose fault is it if we choose the wrong one?
Maybe whoever failed to provide good evidence of the truth, or even his existence?
Taken in context Jesus' words at Matthew 6 are part of the Sermon on the Mount....what was he saying then in verse 25?
Oops. :oops: My bad. Matt 16, not 6: "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."
I blame my dying keyboard.

Clara Tea

Almost impossible not to sin:

When we:

1. walk, we crush bugs and microbes.

2. eat we hurt animals (unless vegetarian) or plants (which might feel pain or react).

3. protect from crimes, we hire cops with guns (some hurt Blacks), or kill in wars (God commanded "thou shalt not kill.") Should we have obeyed God's order not to attack Iraq when we "thought, incorrectly" that they were involved with terrorism? President W. Bush thought that we were sitting ducks for terrorists, and thought that we should attack them on their soil before they attack on ours. Torture camps were thought to induce knowledge to capture terrorists and save lives. It is easy to step over a moral line and sin.

The best we can do is:

1. prevent loss of species (but not use the argument that there are plenty of a species so it is okay to kill or hurt them).

2. protect God's environment (avoid fracking, drilling offshore where spills seem inevitable, oil pipelines which act as super-highways for predators to move quickly, etc).

3. to be humane (rescue dogs....but dogs eat cow meat, so saving a carnivore to hurts a peaceful herbivore).

We save a poor caged parrot from his cage jail....toss it into a forest and say "you're free....wheee.....you're free" then a hawk swoops out of nowhere and devours it whole. Perhaps zoos keep species from extinctions? Perhaps cattle ranches (which butcher cows before they are one year old to keep the meat tender and not waste money on feed) keep the species alive?

Hunting clubs shepherd the land, making sure that the water is pure so their ducks and deer thrive. Yet, year after year, the same animals are stalked and are sitting ducks for hunters.

You raise an interesting moral dilemma about violating core principles to save life and limb, and, at stake, are our loved ones.

As a captain of a star ship, would you abandon your orders to save billions of people on a planet in order to save the one and only person that you love? Dr. Who dealt with that very dilemma, and the answer (for him) was that some things are too precious to us to abandon, even if that means the destruction of the universe.

These are the moral issues that we should discuss today, so we are not hit by a sudden decision and weighty issues. Yet, we won't know, until we are confronted with these issues how we will decide.

Will we be brave and save our spouse if kidnappers hold us at gun point? Will we willingly die to save our beloved spouse, knowing that living with the guilt of watching our spouse die might be worse than death, and knowing that our death would equally harm our spouse?

We are not perfect beings (though some are close to saints). This is not a perfect planet, it is filled with pitfalls, dangers, and temptations. The bible teaches us to not give in to temptation, and that there "might be" a better world awaiting.

firedragon

Veteran Member
5) IF your religion does not allow it (kosher, halal, X) would you take meds with a 'no go' ingredient list? *)

You know what? Since this point is the only thing that would apply to me, I would like to ask for an example.

stvdv

You know what? Since this point is the only thing that would apply to me, I would like to ask for an example.
Disclaimer: All I wrote below is only my personal opinion, and I don't talk about Corona virus

I assume that you mean with "I would like to ask for an example" that you in fact are asking for an example; if not then just ignore the rest

I take as an example "X" in my above quote.

Some people in Christianity believe that their religion does not want them to abort a fetus
There are some medicines that use longue tissue from aborted fetuses (male fetuses to be precise)

I can imagine that these Christians would feel uncomfortable to ingest (or get administered) aborted fetus tissue

stvdv

Your reply is consistent, as I see as "Religion: Not sure"

I'm not sure about all sorts of stuff. Uncertainty can be uncomfortable, but perhaps that's better than clinging to beliefs and opinions.
My reply was a positive reply. As I recognize uncertainty in my life too. My life is full of uncertainty. My Master always says "Love my Uncertainty"

I have health problems and doctors can't find it, so I struggle with it myself for the past 30 years. Good lesson in dealing with uncertainty.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You google on consistent, I am pretty sure the definition you pick won't be that far off. All the others who replied might give you an idea also.

And if you choose an unexpected definition, maybe I and others might learn something new;)

I got two possible meanings from your OP as well, so I didn't answer.

One idea is that consistent means doing the same thing all the time, like if you're consistent in prayer, or for Hindus, in sadhana. So it relates to how well a pattern or habit is established. That's the general meaning.

But from the context you provided, I also thought that you might have meant if belief and actions were consistent. In other words, do you act according to your beliefs. And sticking with that example, if you declare ahimsa as a belief, are you completely vegetarian, or perhaps vegan?

I'm still not sure of your original intent, for the word.

stvdv

I got two possible meanings from your OP as well, so I didn't answer.

One idea is that consistent means doing the same thing all the time, like if you're consistent in prayer, or for Hindus, in sadhana. So it relates to how well a pattern or habit is established. That's the general meaning.

But from the context you provided, I also thought that you might have meant if belief and actions were consistent. In other words, do you act according to your beliefs. And sticking with that example, if you declare ahimsa as a belief, are you completely vegetarian, or perhaps vegan?

I'm still not sure of your original intent, for the word.
Thank you, I appreciate this. I could not have said it that clear.
Indeed, my idea was like in the examples, if you say you don't eat meat, do you eat it when you have nothing else, or with meds. Of course nowadays we don't know what they all put in to our food. For example I was vegetarian but eating cheese. Then I found out they use part of stomach of calf for preparing cheese, and since then I try to be careful to check on this. And when I coincidentally get it, I am not too fond of the idea

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you, I appreciate this. I could not have said it that clear.
Indeed, my idea was like in the examples, if you say you don't eat meat, do you eat it when you have nothing else, or with meds. Of course nowadays we don't know what they all put in to our food. For example I was vegetarian but eating cheese. Then I found out they use part of stomach of calf for preparing cheese, and since then I try to be careful to check on this. And when I coincidentally get it, I am not too fond of the idea

Thanks for the clarification. There are several adages for this concept.
- Practice what you preach.
- Put your money where your mouth is.
- Can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

I think most religious people try to align action with belief, but given how the world runs, some things are nigh impossible. So we try our best. For example, I killed a squirrel last week. It dashed in front of my car at the last moment, and although I slowed down, the poor guy didn't make it across the road. But I don't think that's the kind of thing you're referring to.

As far as gelatin or rennet goes, we're lucky in Canada that most cheeses no longer use rennet. It has to do large long term contracts with suppliers. Since vegetable rennet can be produced more cheaply these days, many larger cheese producers have switched. For meds, there are non-gelatin capsules available, and that too will probably switch over on a mass scale because of production costs. For me personally, I make an effort, but if I need the meds, and there's no other alternative, i have no problem.

I think it's always good to coax people into being a bit more self-reflective on the topic in general of making actions match beliefs. Proselytising, as a topic, comes to mind. Many folks honestly believe they aren't proselytising, yet most on lookers would say they are. So the action doesn't match the belief.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Life is always entangled with other life. Affecting it, positively or negatively, can't be helped. All we can do is try to minimize harm.

stvdv

I think most religious people try to align action with belief, but given how the world runs, some things are nigh impossible. So we try our best. For example, I killed a squirrel last week. It dashed in front of my car at the last moment, and although I slowed down, the poor guy didn't make it across the road. But I don't think that's the kind of thing you're referring to.

But it is a good example, showing us, how easy a vegetarian can kill animals unintentionally. Being aware of that, made me less judgmental. For example I used to get worms in India all the time, because my immune system is weak. I could not not get worms. So, every few month I took an albendazol pill. Very effective, it makes it impossible for the worm to absorb food, and hence it dies. So, I, being vegetarian, killed the worms inside my body.

As far as gelatin or rennet goes, we're lucky in Canada that most cheeses no longer use rennet. It has to do large long term contracts with suppliers. Since vegetable rennet can be produced more cheaply these days, many larger cheese producers have switched. For meds, there are non-gelatin capsules available, and that too will probably switch over on a mass scale because of production costs. For me personally, I make an effort, but if I need the meds, and there's no other alternative, i have no problem.
Here in Holland I have seen a great change towards vegan friendliness in supermarkets. 2019 I saw a YouTube; an African man predicted that 2020 would shift towards vegan/vegetarianism. I could not believe. But januari 2020 one of the biggest supermarkets in Holland (Albert Heijn) started with more vegan & vegetarian items and they made it easy to spot these products by giving them a green label. Very good. I'm glad this African man got it right.

I think it's always good to coax people into being a bit more self-reflective on the topic in general of making actions match beliefs. Proselytising, as a topic, comes to mind. Many folks honestly believe they aren't proselytising, yet most on lookers would say they are. So the action doesn't match the belief.
Yes, I have seen it with my self too, it's sometimes very difficult to wrap my mind around new concepts. When coming to RF I really studied this evangelizing and proselytizing, whether it is right or not, and to really feel it, not just rational an idea. But it took a long time, even for me, though my Master was clear we should never do this, to actually feel it. So, I understand that people begin taught evangelism is essential in belief find it hard to consider the opposite.

Human life is quite intriguing, realizing how complex our emotional body functions, and how difficult it is to change concepts. Hence evolution goes very slow. On the other hand, slow changes usually are good. I used to want fast change my bad habits, but I have seen in the past 30 years that the things I changed fast, always flared up later, and eventually I could change them, but it always went in waves.

Disclaimer: All I wrote above is only my personal opinion

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Maybe whoever failed to provide good evidence of the truth, or even his existence?
Oops. :oops: My bad. Matt 16, not 6: "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."
I blame my dying keyboard.

I believe that I mentioned this scripture from Luke's gospel in Post # 16

The life mentioned here I believe is everlasting life. Being prepared to lose this life to gain that one is what martyrdom is. The early Christians were thrown to the lions because they would not renounce their faith and worship the Emperor. It takes courage to face certain death, with faith in the life to come, which in my belief system is not in heaven for the vast majority, but a restored life here on earth where God placed us in the beginning.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
@stvdv My beliefs are set in concrete for me.

God's laws are God's laws, so they are not negotiable.

I will not break them even to save my own life.

Luke 9:23-25....
"Then he went on to say to all: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake day after day and keep following me. 24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake is the one who will save it. 25 Really, what good will it do a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own self or suffers ruin?"

Pretty much sums it up for me...what is the point of doing anything half-heartedly? :)

To be more accurate, you have base beliefs which are concrete (such as Jehovah being the only true God and Jesus being the Messiah), but there are beliefs you currently have that are subject to change depending on "New Light" by the JW organisation or depending on your own further understanding of the bible.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

1) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list?
2) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list?
I am not vegan/vegetarian.

3) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list

4) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list?
I do not think we have medicines with dead/killed animals or aborted fetus. I do not think any country will allow abortion for manufacture of medicines. It is something else If there was an abortion and meds could use something out of it. After all do not we appreciate if a person agrees to donate afte death his organs to other people. If modern medicine produces something like that and if that is necessary for whatever disease I might be suffering from, then I will take it.

5) IF your religion does not allow it (kosher, halal, X) would you take meds with a 'no go' ingredient list?
Beef is prohibited among Hindus and is illegal in many parts of the country (in Delhi too, where I live), but I have no problem about eating beef or pork. We eat so many things. What is special with beef?

And what would you do IF this would be the only way to not die if you get the disease (80% don't die)
(Or do you stick to your resolution not to eat animal/fetes/X, and accept living in seclusion)
(To make the choice interesting; living secluded will keep you 100% safe, while meds give 80% safety)

Note: I am vegetarian, and was googling on ingredient lists of meds, and discovered that they use stuff in it, that I never would have expected. Hence it got me thinking. I know that other vegetarians can be quite strict, but what if your life gets in danger, you dare to stick to it? And I know that some religious people are forbidden to eat certain stuff (suppose it's not kosher or not halal or aborted fetus in it). What would you do?

I would not mind seclusion. I would rather enjoy it. I do not know if you are talking of Chinese or Tibetan medicine. I would only use Allopathic medicines.

Note: With food I had been thinking about it before. Being vegetarian, I just don't go to north pole and south pole. And when stranded on an island with only option to eat humans, I'll pass on such meal, even if it is crispy well done not visible human.
Islands generally have many things to eat, fruits, berries, tubers, water critters (a-la-Bear Grylls). I do not think it would be necessary to eat crisp well-done human flesh. Remember, eating human flesh can cause disease (Kuru).

"Kuru is a very rare, incurable and fatal neurodegenerative disorder that was formerly common among the Fore people of Papua New Guinea."

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

Beliefs in this thread is not only as in religious beliefs; general beliefs (rules you live by)
We had a few threads on abortion (yes or no), but what you do if the meds that could save you contain tissue from aborted fetuses?

1) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list? *)
2) IF you're vegan/vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)
3) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (dead/killed) animals on the ingredient list *)
4) IF you're non-vegetarian would you take meds with (aborted) fetus on the ingredient list? *)

*)

Note: Maybe better not to read this thread, because what you don't know, won't bother you.
I try to be consistent. Adaptations to novel situations are also a value of mine. You just have to determine cost vs benefit.