• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can evil exist if God is omnipotent? And how can free will exist if God is omniscient?

How can evil exist if God is omnipotent? And how can free will exist if God is omniscient?

• God is omnipotent because evil is a force

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

night912

Hmmm... what do you think, does darkness exist? Darkness is the condition without light. Similarly, evil is the condition without good. I think it is possible that people are without good and when they are not good, don't do good, it is called evil.
Darkness does not exist. It's the condition of the absence of light.

And addressing what's in bold, you're saying that if we don't do good, then it's evil. If that's true, then answer this question. Are you committing an evil act if you're standing still?

Brian2

Veteran Member
#2: (Why does omniscience always have to include “knowing the future”? Isn’t knowing everything happening in the present & what happened in the past, enough?)

If God knew how we individually would act, why did the Bible account show He tried to reason w/ Cain to not do what he ended up doing?

Why would He test Abraham, asking Abraham to offer up Isaac, then stop him and say “Now I know that you fear me....”

Because He didn’t know before.

God seems to act in the present as if He does not know the future. That way He can be fair to everyone at all times.
God does predict the future.
He knows all the things that He is going to do and tells His prophets.
He knows that He will act in answer to prayer so He knows what the prayer will be.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Title.

My thoughts:
God created evil, which is why it exist. Free will doesn't exist because god is all powerful.

What are your thoughts?
Evil comes from human beings and free will means we have a choice if we want to do right or wrong, God does not stop humans from doing wrong, but there is a payment we must pay when we do wrong and it is called suffering.
(there are different forms of suffering)

Darkness does not exist. It's the condition of the absence of light.

If so, then evil doesn't exist.

And addressing what's in bold, you're saying that if we don't do good, then it's evil. If that's true, then answer this question. Are you committing an evil act if you're standing still?

It depends on the situation. If I stand still while other person asks help and I do nothing to help him, then I think it could be called evil.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Would not that be a part of the suffering too? knowing that one harms others by one's own foolishness?
Some people enjoy watching others suffer and commit crimes such as murder for no other reason but enjoyment.
I know that is difficult to understand from your perspective but such people do exist, although you would probably never know unless you watch true crime programs on TV. I watch a lot of those.