• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Christians say Jesus (PBUH) is GOD?

Dani

John 16:25-33
"Though I have been speaking figuratively (paroimia), a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."
Then Jesus' disciples said, "Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God."

Here Jesus is clearly telling the people that he was talking "
figuratively" e.g when Jesus said "I and the father are one", he was talking not literal but metaphorically; meaning that who ever obeys Jesus, obeys God, just as in Islam, whoever obeys the Prophet Muhammed pbuh obeys God. This does not mean Jesus is God..

Also in the above verse Jesus is telling the people that he was talking figuratively, so why do Christians take verses literally when Jesus himself said dont?

3:59 "The similitude of Jesus Before Allah is as that of Adam; He (Allah) created him (Jesus) from dust, Then said to him: Be. And he was."

gzusfrk

Christian

"Though I have been speaking figuratively (paroimia), a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."
Then Jesus' disciples said, "Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God."

figuratively" e.g when Jesus said "I and the father are one", he was talking not literal but metaphorically; meaning that who ever obeys Jesus, obeys God, just as in Islam, whoever obeys the Prophet Muhammed pbuh obeys God. This does not mean Jesus is God..

Also in the above verse Jesus is telling the people that he was talking figuratively, so why do Christians take verses literally when Jesus himself said dont?

3:59 "The similitude of Jesus Before Allah is as that of Adam; He (Allah) created him (Jesus) from dust, Then said to him: Be. And he was."
I cannot speak for all christians, only myself. Jesus is the Savior of mankind, Lord of Lords, King of Kings. He is not God the Father, He is the Son of God, And my God. Jesus said no one gets to the Father but by Me. Also there is 1 john chapter 2 verse 23.

Dani

I cannot speak for all christians, only myself. Jesus is the Savior of mankind, Lord of Lords, King of Kings. He is not God the Father, He is the Son of God, And my God. Jesus said no one gets to the Father but by Me. Also there is 1 john chapter 2 verse 23.

"He is not God the Father, He is the Son of God, And my God." < So ur claiming there are two Gods, YOUR god and THE FATHER? I thought Jesus pbuh said

mark 12:29
Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord OUR God, the Lord is ONE.

"Jesus said no one gets to the Father but by Me" < this does not mean Jesus is son of God or 'your' God. here hes just telling us that he is the way, the truth, and no one gets to the Father but through him! hes claiming to be a PROPHET, SENT by God. At Moses' pbuh time, he was the way, the truth, no one could get to the Father but through him!

Plato

I see this topic asked a lot especially from Islam. When the Quran was 1st being written down Jerusalem had already (in 638) been transferred to the Muslims so they knew a lot of Christians. The Quran includes Jesus (and his mother) as being worthy of great respect, touched by God and the 'Messiah'. But then comes this great confusion over 'Jesus being God'.
As far as I know Christianity doesn't say that it says... Jesus is the 'Son of God'. And of course they don't mean a literal mortal son. The Christians believe Jesus to be a 'divine being' and all religion believes God to be a divine being. They don't think that God being the supreme divine being makes 'sons' like a mortal man makes a son. The believe instead Jesus is.... 'one with God'...made of the same substance...for lack of a better word like a human... son.... is made of the same substance as his father.
So why is it so hard to believe that if God is the divine spirit he couldn't take some of that spirit that he is....pour it into a human body, give him 'free will' and send him to earth to do God's plan...while being in communication with him....much like a human father puts some of himself into his human son, instructs him, sends him out to do a job and communicates with him???
If God who is a spirit decided to put some of his divine spirit into a human body and send that divine person to walk around on earth doing God's plan as God instructed him, what else would you call such a person...but....'Son of God'.
Of course they don't mean a literal son.....The Christians as I understand it mean....part of God's spirit is in Jesus, partly making him up, that he communes directly with God calling God 'Father' and God calling him 'Son', that Jesus was sent to earth to do God's plan and then rejoined God in Heaven.
Why couldn't this be if someone believe in God. For example in the Quran there are 'angels' divine beings made with Gods spirit in part human form...if there can be divine angels why can't there be a divine Jesus?

Monotheist 101

As far as I know Christianity doesn't say that it says... Jesus is the 'Son of God'. And of course they don't mean a literal mortal son. The Christians believe Jesus to be a 'divine being' and all religion believes God to be a divine being. They don't think that God being the supreme divine being makes 'sons' like a mortal man makes a son. The believe instead Jesus is.... 'one with God'...made of the same substance...for lack of a better word like a human... son.... is made of the same substance as his father.

I think what it all boils down to in the end is.. Does God need to have a human equivalent of a Son.. or another lesser God for that matter?

gzusfrk

Christian
I think what it all boils down to in the end is.. Does God need to have a human equivalent of a Son.. or another lesser God for that matter?
Yes, to link us to a God, as it were we were His chosen people, but now we are children, adopted, heirs to the kindgom.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
How can Christians say Jesus (PBUH) is GOD?

I agree with you that Jesus is not saying he is God.

I have pointed out here many times that the wording concerning him does not have to be read as he is God, or an actual son of God.

danieldemol

Premium Member

It wouldn't make any sense to say God has a face or a hand would it?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Dani said:
"He is not God the Father, He is the Son of God, And my God." < So ur claiming there are two Gods, YOUR god and THE FATHER? I thought Jesus pbuh said

Jesus answered, &#8220;The most important is, &#8216;Hear, O Israel: The Lord OUR God, the Lord is ONE.
Its moot. Jesus is clearly called the Son of God but so is Israel. Both are called the only begotten Son. Therefore Jesus whom you claim is a prophet was no man at all. This brings the integrity of the Koran into question does it not? I don't see why you would be concerned about what Christians believe about Jesus if you yourselves are deceived.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

A valid theological argument supporting your position would be preferable to this. :sleep:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Its moot. Jesus is clearly called the Son of God but so is Israel. Both are called the only begotten Son. Therefore Jesus whom you claim is a prophet was no man at all. This brings the integrity of the Koran into question does it not? I don't see why you would be concerned about what Christians believe about Jesus if you yourselves are deceived.

What are you saying here?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Ingledsva said:
What are you saying here?
Basic Christianity says that the Church is the body of Christ. It teaches that each member is to receive the anointing which is called 'Christ'. Jesus is also called 'The Christ'. Jesus is also called the Son of God but Israel was called that first, but now the Church is too. The apostle Paul says that Christians are now members of the household of faith now, so they are part of Israel -- which is called the Son of God. Do you get what I am saying? To help my point: The Virgin Birth prophecy mentioned by Matthew is so obviously not a prediction that it can be no accident that it is not applied to Jesus 'The Man' but to the Church. In fact none of the fulfillments in Matthew come from predictions, but they can all be applied to the Church.

When the Koran calls Jesus a man who was a prophet it is completely at odds with the NT and creates some other version of Christianity. It is talking about something other than what Christians are reading about. It completely ignores how the Church has been operating, who Christians are. Its is pointless to nitpick about whether Jesus was part of a trinity or not. He will never fit with the Koran.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe Jesus did not say "don't." There is certainly nothing in John 16 saying it. Also Christians have the Paraclete which means we are able to discern plain speaking from metaphor. I believe all of the context agrees witht the concept the Jesus is speaking literally in John 10:30.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord OUR God, the Lord is ONE.

"Jesus said no one gets to the Father but by Me" < this does not mean Jesus is son of God or 'your' God. here hes just telling us that he is the way, the truth, and no one gets to the Father but through him! hes claiming to be a PROPHET, SENT by God. At Moses' pbuh time, he was the way, the truth, no one could get to the Father but through him!

Since Jesus and the Father are one they can't be two.

If Jesus were just a prophet there would be no exclusivity because one would be able to get to the Father by another prophet.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I beiev God needs no other God than Himself. I believe Jesus is not a lesser god but God Hinself.

I believe He definitely does need to be incarnate in order to fulfill His objective.