• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
No, it is in the Jewish Bible:

genesis 22:2
Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."

The Christian Bible referenced it only. The belief is Jewish.
So if the Jewish Bible is wrong about Isaac and the NT quotes from it and says it was Isaac, then it is wrong too, isn't it?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Baha'u'llah is not God but His Spokes Person. As God's Representative and has knowledge of all that has been.

Here's the quote you requested.

That which thou hast heard concerning Abraham, the Friend of the All-Merciful, is the truth, and no doubt is there about it. The Voice of God commanded Him to offer up Ishmael as a sacrifice, so that His steadfastness in the Faith of God and His detachment from all else but Him may be demonstrated unto men.”

“Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh.”

We only know what He has commented on. But Baha'u'llah is not God. He only speaks for God. Two entirely different things.
Why do you say it was Baha'u'llah speaking to Moses from the Burning Bush then?

Since Baha'u'llah knew who made this change and why in the Jewish Bible, why didn't he say so? That's a massive change. But one of the Baha'is says Moses didn't write Genesis , so if the manifestation didn't write it, how can any part of the Bible be called "God's Word"?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It would be the same because I would only be able to learn what this world and a physical body is capable of teaching me whereas in other worlds of God in different settings I would learn things I could never learn here.
How many times have you been put into a different situation, or town, or met somebody new and you learn all sorts of things. What if you were different person in different circumstances? I think there'd be a lot to learn.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
All we can be certain of is when Baha'u'llah, God's recent Manifestation says it was Ishmael, then it is correct. He is All Knowing so He knows innately. As simple as that. But those who don't have any faith in the Manifestation think He doesn't know what He's talking about but He knows exactly.
So the Jewish Bible is wrong and the NT is wrong in quoting from it and saying it was Isaac? Then these are not God's Word are they. So who cares if they are symbolic or literal, either way the information in them is wrong. The people following these books are wrong, and someone from those religions is guilty of changing it. But I know that's not what you're going to say.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
THREE - :D - and who knows how many other women.

Hi....... If he wrote that he would in some way be with his wife (singular) for all time when in fact he had three wives, then no further evidence could be required of .... hypocrisy?

Equally, the contradiction of genderless existence in the hereinafter when compared with a kind of continuing marriage is unhelpful for his credibility.

It's sad, but the more I look, so the more pitfalls I see.

I liked reading Bahauallah. It was the later 'add-ons' that marred most of his work, imo. The above is a sad hiccup.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Then to each his own. The thing is we have tye authentic Writings of a recent Manifestation of God and records of the past the longer one goes back become harder to authenticate word for word.

We understand that in such a case a recent Manifestation's authenticated Scripture trumps thousand year old records which world for word cannot be fully authenticated.

According to the Quran the sacrifice was offered before Isaac was born.

Muhammad and Islam were prophesied in the Bible in many places.
Yes, so Baha'u'llah agrees with Muhammad and believes the Bible has been corrupted. But when did this change happen and why? When did the Bible first get written down? If it happened before being written, then there was a conspiracy of several Jewish leaders to start teaching the new, false teachings? Then the two NT writers refer to it, so obviously they weren't inspired by God. So the Bible is a false book and doesn't teach the truth. Why keep it?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That requires and answer in context

I would offer Baha'u'llah had One Companion who will abide with Him.

Each Messenger of God is born into a society that has Laws and they are the first to uphold these laws. In the case of Baha'u'llah and Muhammad, these laws compelled them to take more than one wife due to the persecution of their followers.

This needs discussion, sorry off to work right now

Regards Tony

Tony...........
I've just checked out the above with my waffle meter and I've bust it. :p

Bahauallah wrote that Bahais can have two wives, and so, presumably, in a country which allows more than one wife, bahais can indeed marry two wives even to this day. Unless there has been Bahai legislation (writing) to countermand Bahauallah's message..... ?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Resurrection is an integral and indispensable part of my Faith. It is an experience, but not a belief in a literal physical resurrection.
So now you believe in the resurrection along with reincarnation... just not like Christians and Hindus define them. So doesn't that make them something totally different?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The obvious example for me is Mosaic law that was revealed to the Hebrew people during the 40 years spent in the desert. Part of that Revelation was to spiritual purify and prepare them for the conquest of the land of Canaan. Part of the law was to create a theocracy or system of law for the governance of the Jewish state. Not all of these laws remain relevant today and some are redundant such as punishments for working on the Sabbath.
I thought these stories were symbolic? They really spent 40 years in the desert? What did they eat? 'Cause I know it wasn't manna sent from heaven. That's scientifically implausible.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
This answer was given to a specific point and with your question can have a differnt response.

The Universal House of Justice was ordained by Baha'u'llah to carry into the Future the required guidance given by Baha'u'llah for all Humanity.

Hierarchy is "a system in which members of an organization or society are ranked according to relative status or authority."

There is no individual rank in the Baha'i Faith, the Elected people that form the Universal House of Justice hold not status as an individual, the body as a whole is the Authority. The Appointed people to advisory rolls, hold no rank.

synonyms are pecking order, ranking, grading, ladder,social order, social stratum, social scale,class system.

There is none of this in the Baha'i Faith

Thus the Institutions we elect and then we then turn to guidance from is the Infallable Universal House of Justice who oversear the National Houses of Justice and the Local Houses of Justice (Currently Spiritual Assemblies at National & Local Levels) and the Appointed arms.of the Faith.

No individual has a 'rank' in any of this system.

We are all Baha'i

Regards Tony

"There is none of this in the Baha'i Faith"? Not from what I saw. People still were held in higher esteem than others. Maybe in a perfect Baha'i world, but I doubt if even you would say the people in the Faith are there yet. So who are the ones that get elected to the higher ranks? Who becomes the people appointed to special positions? Don't they have something better to offer than the average Baha'i? But are they perfect? I doubt it. Do they have character flaws? Who doesn't? So can you trust them 100%? Are there some very charismatic people that get called to speak at meetings more than others? Can a charismatic and dominant type of person take too much control in an assembly? I saw all of that in Southern California in the 70"s in the Baha'i community. It wasn't perfect.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Thank you oldbadger.

To me sexual relations has its place, but it can not maintain a strong lasting relationship.

Consider in saying this a Baha'i sees this bond is for eternity, not just for a few years in the sack ;)

Regards Tony
"bond is for eternity"? please explain this. Are you saying you're stuck, I mean partnered, with the same person in the next Baha'i world?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
When talking about a Particular Religion's view, I am only interested to discuss when you support anything you say, with the Scriptures of that Religion. You seem to say many things, which to me are not precisely in the Bible, as far as I know, and they are just what you have heard from people. All i am saying, accuracy is important, when speaking about a religion teachings.
For example, you speak of literal and physical death and resurrection of Jesus. There is no such a thing in Bible. Just quote me the verses.
"literal and physical death and resurrection of Jesus. There is no such a thing in Bible."? You have read the Gospel haven't you? I even quoted the beginning of Acts and in that it says Jesus showed himself to be alive. That is what early Christians believed. These people knew eye witnesses and knew some of the writers of the books in the NT.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But that was before he knew he was a manifestation. At that time he was just an ordinary multi-wived and concubined Muslim. So I guess at one point in his life, he wasn't infallible and all-knowing.
Hi.....
After his declaration he did wriite that a Bahai can have two wives.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
"literal and physical death and resurrection of Jesus. There is no such a thing in Bible."? You have read the Gospel haven't you? I even quoted the beginning of Acts and in that it says Jesus showed himself to be alive. That is what early Christians believed. These people knew eye witnesses and knew some of the writers of the books in the NT.

Indeed, these reports do support claims that Jesus was either:
Not crucified....... (Pilate nailed up the other Jesus)
or:
Taken down from the cross and saved......

The people of Kashmir may be right.
The Cornish Legends may have substance.
ho knows? :shrug:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi.....
After his declaration he did wriite that a Bahai can have two wives.

The Baha'i Law is for One wife. This is confirmed by Abdul'Baha who had authority to interpret the meaning of His Father Writings.

The taking of two wives was dependent upon conditions that could not be fulfilled, thus Abdul'baha has said the intent was to show that One Wife was the purpose of the Law.

Abdul'baha was the gift to us by Baha'u'llah to show us how to live the Laws. Abdul'baha had one wife as did Shoghi Effendi.

Regards Tony

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The Baha'i Law is for One wife. This is confirmed by Abdul'Baha who had authority to interpret the meaning of His Father Writings.

The taking of two wives was dependent upon conditions that could not be fulfilled, thus Abdul'baha has said the intent was to show that One Wife was the purpose of the Law.

Abdul'baha was the gift to us by Baha'u'llah to show us how to live the Laws. Abdul'baha had one wife as did Shoghi Effendi.

Regards Tony

We have posted the quote, and obviously it says two wives.

The conditions might be hard to meet, but that does not change that it says they can have two wives.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Regards Tony

Let me get this right.....
'Bahauallah wrote that a Bahai can have two wives if they can be treated equally, but because no two people can be treated equally this was a clever way of saying that Bahais cannot have two wives'
Have got this right?

This is a most dangerous way of writing, imo.
Look at another manipulation....
'Bahais will; not kill and so cannot join military forces as warriors, but in a Bahai World there will be a military which could be ordered to put own uprisings.

You see? This simply mreans that mostly any direct guidance, rule or law can be absolutely reversed as required.

It's what I call the 'This is what was really meant....' clause.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So if you can disprove the resurrection, then that means you can prove any Christian that believes it really happened is wrong?

Science disproves the resurrection as explained by Fundamental Christian Doctrine.

The body dies, decays and returns to the earth. God does not change this process.

Thus it is logical we need to look at this spiritually. Science will agree that man is more than a body, as we gain more unity these things will be found.

Regards Tony