• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Are Atheists or Secularists Harming You, Your Kids or Your Country?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Wow!

Just as a heads up guys, there is no 'New Atheist' group, it is not an organisation, it is not a mindset - there is no belief or position called 'New Atheism'.

'New Atheists' was the title of a magazine article about Dawkins and co.

I have to say, that I amazes me how many times on this forum a label invented by a magazine for an article is mistaken for some kind of sinister anti-religious fundamentalist sect.
The term "New Atheism" has come to mean atheists like Dawkins and co. You can debate it's accuracy all you want, but the fact remains that it currently is the most simplified way to describe a particular group of atheists as it is the most widely recognized name.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The term "New Atheism" has come to mean atheists like Dawkins and co. You can debate it's accuracy all you want, but the fact remains that it currently is the most simplified way to describe a particular group of atheists as it is the most widely recognized name.
Most simplified perhaps, but least useful or accurate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow!
Just as a heads up guys, there is no 'New Atheist' group, it is not an organisation, it is not a mindset - there is no belief or position called 'New Atheism'.
'New Atheists' was the title of a magazine article about Dawkins and co.
I have to say, that I amazes me how many times on this forum a label invented by a magazine for an article is mistaken for some kind of sinister anti-religious fundamentalist sect.
Aye, what's going on here is that we heathens are so boring, they need to spice things up by giving our few lightning rods a flashy new name. Hey, at least it wasn't "fundamentalist atheists" or "atheismpalooza".

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Most simplified perhaps, but least useful or accurate.
The fact that when you use it everyone knows instantly what you are talking about shows it is quite useful. It only serves one purpose, identify a particular sub-group of atheists, and it fulfills that purpose very well. Argue all you want about it's accuracy, but until another more accurate term becomes as widely recognized, it is the most succinct option available.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sing this to the tune of "Give Me That Old Time Religion"....

Give me that old time atheism
It's good enough for me

Makes me love everybody
Makes me love everybody
Makes me love everybody
In a biblical way

It's good enough for me

It was good for heathen children
It was good for heathen children
As we ate those Hebrew children
They were good enough for me

It's good enough for me

I won't fry in the fiery furnace
It's too hot in there for me

It's good enough for me

It will do when I'm dying
It will do when I'm dying
I won't switch when I'm dying
It's good enough for me

It's good enough for me

It can't take us all to Heaven
It can't take us all to Heaven
Cuz there ain't no place called Heaven
Tis oblivion for me

Not that new fangled atheism
It's good enough for me

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Aye, what's going on here is that we heathens are so boring, they need to spice things up by giving our few lightning rods a flashy new name. Hey, at least it wasn't "fundamentalist atheists" or "atheismpalooza".

Atheoraptor? Atheosaurus?

And please do not mock. I happen to be a fundamentalist atheist, I am very seriously committed to the beliefs that I do not have. When I don't believe something buddy - I don't believe it passionately.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Atheoraptor? Atheosaurus?
And please do not mock. I happen to be a fundamentalist atheist, I am very seriously committed to the beliefs that I do not have. When I don't believe something buddy - I don't believe it passionately.
I too am dedicated to the fundamental disbelief of atheism. Of all the concepts of gods, I thumb me nose at'm all. But we don't need no stink'n prefix.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I too am dedicated to the fundamental disbelief of atheism. Of all the concepts of gods, I thumb me nose at'm all. But we don't need no stink'n prefix.
People don't realise how tpugh it is to be a commited fundamentalist new atheist.

I disbelieved in my refridgerator so hard last night, the light went off. My grandfather was a 10th dan Grand High Poo Bar German Orthodox New Atheist - he refused to beleive in gravity so hard that he actually fell off!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
New research shows that Newton's gravity is right after all, and Einstein's gravity is just an anticipatory effect of Newtonian gravity.
General relativity (GR) predicted Mercury's orbital precession & gravitational lensing. Newton's version is still at odds with those phenomena. But as a mechanical engineer, I still use Newton....close enuf, & easier math. Cosmologists are stuck with Einstein because of the great velocities & masses.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

Are you joking?

Go down to the rivershore, take some stones, put them in a sack, empty the sack on the slope of the hill. You can see it is true there is differential falling success in the struggle for depth.

If you videotape it, and replay it in slowmotion, then you can see how some stones tend to roll sideways sometimes. That way they come in the path of other rolling stones and steal their falling down success. Selfishness.

I don't mean to make a moral statement and say that selfishness is good. Nature is ruthless, at bottom the universe is blind pittiless and indifferent, as is shown in the struggle for depth.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The theory of gravity is wrong because rocks are selfish thieves?

OK then...!

Last edited:

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

General relativity (GR) predicted Mercury's orbital precession & gravitational lensing. Newton's version is still at odds with those phenomena. But as a mechanical engineer, I still use Newton....close enuf, & easier math. Cosmologists are stuck with Einstein because of the great velocities & masses.

In taking into account the retarded gravitational potential in the Newtonian equation, the equation of general relativity is obtained in introducing anticipative propagation of the gravitational field. (copy pasted)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Fair enough. But have they made you think more closely about your beliefs and/or religion? I can tell you that in my case I never was religious, but listening to their arguments I reconsidered and decided that religion was causing more problems than I had previously considered.
In a forward in George Eliot's translation of Feuerbach's The Essence of Christianity, the author of the forward mentions a professor Karl Barth, theologian, who teaches Feuerbach because he feels to not expose his student's to counter positions is to show an utter lack of faith in his religion.