• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House Republican Mike Gallagher Will Leave on April 19.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
All it would take are two disaffected Republicans to vote 'Present' and any Republican bill will fail, or for Mike Johnson to lose the speakership to Democrat Hakeem Jeffries.
What is interesting is that when Ken Buck announced his departure he said something like it is the next three the GOP should be worried about. No one was sure at the time what he meant by that. Perhaps we now have a clue.

F1fan

Veteran Member
If several more republicans resign which leaves democrats as the majority, and then allows Jeffries to be speaker, then all bills that democrats agree on will pass, and republicans use the results as if a bad thing and try to get more conservative votes. It seems to me that they want off the hook going forward.

Shaul

Premium Member
And similarly if even one Democrat Senator left the Senate majority would change.

There is another aspect of this. Those representatives that have quit must have done the calculus. They then decided their prospects in November were so poor that it wasn't worth the risk of the expense for running for re-election.

Wandering Monk

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The House may need a speaker before long because Marjorie Traitor Green has filed a motion to vacate the speakership, though she has not brought it to the floor.

What a piece of work she is:

I dislike their usage of rioters. They are insurrectionists and traitors. Lets not compare them to something like the LA Riots when black people reached a boiling point in regards to being beaten and killed by the cops with impunity.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And similarly if even one Democrat Senator left the Senate majority would change.

There is another aspect of this. Those representatives that have quit must have done the calculus. They then decided their prospects in November were so poor that it wasn't worth the risk of the expense for running for re-election.
They could have stuck it out and not run for re-election in order to help preserve the R majority. That they are leaving early says a lot.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is it any wonder why some Pubs have left the House as basically all they do is to talk to themselves, and even they can't get along. Talk about "dysfunctional". :rolleyes:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
They could have stuck it out and not run for re-election in order to help preserve the R majority. That they are leaving early says a lot.
Yes, I think it says a great deal, actually. I think that they are tacitly suggesting, like Liz Cheney, MItt Romney and Adam Kinzinger, that the Republican Party is in desperate need of a reset.

Wandering Monk

I was reminded of what House Republican Ken Buck said after he gave his resignation:

When asked by Axios whether he was coming under pressure from colleagues over his decision to resign, Buck replied: "I think it's the next three people that leave that they're going to be worried about."​
Gallagher may be one of those three.

Pogo

I was reminded of what House Republican Ken Buck said after he gave his resignation:

When asked by Axios whether he was coming under pressure from colleagues over his decision to resign, Buck replied: "I think it's the next three people that leave that they're going to be worried about."​
Gallagher may be one of those three.

It wasn't so much that he knew of three, but that three more would reduce the Republicans to the minority and put the house into the control of the Democrats.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If MTG's motion goes forward:

1) if no Dems vote for Johnson, and at least two Pubs vote against Johnson, we enter the twilight zone of a search for another Pub victim...uh...scapegoat...uh...Speaker candidate...

2) However, if a few Dems were to vote for Johnson, he'd remain...but I'm pretty sure getting the Dems in his corner would come with some demands for concessions for those Dems...

3) If the Pubs end up with an endless series of votes for lesser and lesser candidates for speaker, a few Pubs might be convinced...if certain concessions were granted...to go with Jeffries...

F1fan

Veteran Member
If MTG's motion goes forward:

1) if no Dems vote for Johnson, and at least two Pubs vote against Johnson, we enter the twilight zone of a search for another Pub victim...uh...scapegoat...uh...Speaker candidate...

2) However, if a few Dems were to vote for Johnson, he'd remain...but I'm pretty sure getting the Dems in his corner would come with some demands for concessions for those Dems...

3) If the Pubs end up with an endless series of votes for lesser and lesser candidates for speaker, a few Pubs might be convinced...if certain concessions were granted...to go with Jeffries...
Number 2 seems the best scenario. Johnson will owe it to democrats so will be motivated to play ball. And whatever happens in the way of spending it's on a republican majority.