• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality in Jesus time..

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Apart from the Leviticus 18:22 reading

[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."[/font]

Is there any other references (or any behaviour of) homosexuality in the Bible?
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/font]

Fade

The Great Master Bates
I wonder why God thinks it is an abomination? Birds do it. Monkeys do it. Heck, we do it and we were created in Gods image. Does that mean God is Gay?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fade said:
I wonder why God thinks it is an abomination? Birds do it. Monkeys do it. Heck, we do it and we were created in Gods image. Does that mean God is Gay?
Chimps throw feces at each other as well. Knock your self out and have a blast...:biglaugh:

~Victor

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't recall Dr Goodall ever citing an example of chimps flinging faeces. I think this is a popular myth that serves to distances ourselves from a disconcertingly similar rude cousin.

Seyorni said:
I don't recall Dr Goodall ever citing an example of chimps flinging faeces. I think this is a popular myth that serves to distances ourselves from a disconcertingly similar rude cousin.
Not so effective a distancing tactic... if the feces metaphor were to extend to atom bombs at cities and pipe bombs at clinics - I would say we must be personifying the chimps in our image. :)

Renaldo said:
Thankyou for the site MICH, I found one other biblical phrase there that helped.
Just curious... which interests you?

I'm somewhat interested in the subject... though I'm a little leery of some that may take the focus of the letters of Paul to the Romans and Corinthians off of grace and on to justifying their own intolerance.

nice to meet you by the way :)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Seyorni said:
I was hoping you had something for me to read. Either way, my point is that morality is not measured by the behaivor of animals.

~Victor

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ok, this is homosexuality in the time of jesus christ

well, it was seen as socially unnacceptable. jesus did not preach on this subject (that we have recorded) because i think he would only have preached on the issue if his views were different to teh views of modern society

however, jesus excelled at loving and talking to the outcast members of society, so if jesus was alive today i think he would "eat, drink, and be merry" with homosexuals just like he would with hetrosexuals

someone asked is god gay? well, heres a thought for ya'. god was the first being to think about sex :biglaugh::woohoo:

seriously though, i dont think god has a gender, so i dont think god has a sexuality - but i think s/he knows us and how our hearts and emotions work, so s/he understands me as a human being with a homosexual orientation, just like he knows everyone else with a hetrosexual orientation

C_P

anders

corrupt_preist said:
ok, this is homosexuality in the time of jesus christ

well, it was seen as socially unnacceptable. jesus did not preach on this subject (that we have recorded) because i think he would only have preached on the issue if his views were different to teh views of modern society
Recorded? Please provide a link or a reference that it was "socially unnacceptable" on an appreciable scale.

however, jesus excelled at loving and talking to the outcast members of society, so if jesus was alive today i think he would "eat, drink, and be merry" with homosexuals just like he would with hetrosexuals
If such a person as the presumed Mr. Josephson would live today, I agree with your view.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Fade, I wish you would understand that our being made in God's image means that we have the potential for love and goodness. I don't know how many times this has needed to be said on this forum............

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

(Note that "man" is here (and often in Scripture) used in a generic sense to include both man and woman. Both male and female were created (the details of their physical formation being given in Genesis 2) in God's image. Thus both possess equally an eternal spirit capable of personal fellowship with their Creator. Shared equally by men and women are all those spiritual attributes not shared by animals--moral conscience, abstract thought, appreciation of beauty, emotional feelings, and, especially, the capacity for worshipping and loving God.):)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
anders said:
Recorded? Please provide a link or a reference that it was "socially unnacceptable" on an appreciable scale.[/QUOTE

when i said recorded i ment we dont have any records of jesus giving a surmon on homosexuality

a link for what was socially acceptable in jesus's time, i cannot provide

i can only speculate as to what was acceptable and what was not - but if homosexuality is not generally accepted today id say that is evidence that it was not accepted 2000 years ago. does anyone have any evidence to suggest it was socially acceptable to be gay in jesus's time :rolleyes:

if such a person as the presumed mr.josephson would live today, i agree with your view.
:confused:

could have sworn id said jesus <looks through web browser> hmmmmm, little bit confused by your last part

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Joshephson - Joseph's son I believe is what he is getting at.

And I agree with you, that were Jesus alive today He would eat and drink with homosexuals just as much with heterosexuals, and call them to repent, just as He did all the sinners He ate and drank with.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Call them to repent? So you think sexual orientation is a choice?

I think this is like calling someone to repent of their left-handedness.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Call them to repent?
Yes.

So you think sexual orientation is a choice?
I believe that you can choose to no longer be homosexual yes. I believe that whether or not you are is a mix of genetics which can and will lean you, enviroment, and experiences and the way you take them.

I think this is like calling someone to repent of their left-handedness.
In my dad's day they taught ambidexderity(sp)... and through personal experience you can change your dominant hand from right to left...

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Victor said:
I was hoping you had something for me to read. Either way, my point is that morality is not measured by the behaivor of animals.

~Victor
But we are animals. That is kinda the point that your missing. Just because we've written a book that tries to impose a sense of morality on us (and a questionable morality at that) doesn't make us any better. It was written by animals after all.

Pah

Uber all member
Mister Emu said:
Yes.

I believe that you can choose to no longer be homosexual yes. I believe that whether or not you are is a mix of genetics which can and will lean you, enviroment, and experiences and the way you take them.

In my dad's day they taught ambidexderity(sp)... and through personal experience you can change your dominant hand from right to left...
I'm not sure if you offer that as an example or that you believe in it.

For if one characteristic of being is allowed to be changed on the thoughts of others, then all are susceptible. Substitute your personal faith for left-handedness and then tell me that only the "proper one" is accepted. If you accept that commonality in aspects of faith (the generally accepted definition of a Christian, for example) is malleable what faith do you really have. Homosexual, left-handedness, Christian defines the central "you" and you would change only the first two? Under your concept of change, you should allow and encourage, I imagine, atheists and secularists to open "reparative therapy clinics" for the faithful under the logo "Faith can be cured"

I would no more forcibly change another's identity than I would allow another to change mine

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
Fade, I wish you would understand that our being made in God's image means that we have the potential for love and goodness. I don't know how many times this has needed to be said on this forum............
That was not only condescending, but also a rather obvious non sequitur.