• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and religious.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Who said that I ever believed all of that?
I believe that homosexuality is immoral, according to God, but I do not believe that it is evil or that it is a sexual aberration that should be purged.

My religion does not have a prejudice against gay people.

Prejudice: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
prejudice meaning - Google Search

The Baha'i Laws regarding homosexual behavior are not based upon a preconceived opinion. They are based upon God's perfect knowledge of human nature and what is best for humans individually and collectively.
God needs no defense so I do not need to defend God and His Laws.
You are treating the idea of God as if it is real and accpted as real, yet no gods are known to exist, including your version. So that means you are the one making the decision that this God exists, and it is you deciding to follow these rules. That means the accountability and prejudice falls on you.

Trying to avoid accountability even if your God was known to exist, and it was confirmed that God says gays are condemned, you would still have a choice to agree with that God's moral outlook.

Basically you are arguing here in a way that a person would think to themselves to convince themselves that their beliefs are true and justified. You have a fatal flaw in your approach that you don;t understand that you are making assumptions about a God existin, and you express your beliefs about it here.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's BS! You just as well say if you don't approve of people believing in/having faith in a god you're a bigot.

To be a good person I don't have to "approve" of anything anyone does.
If I disagree or don't like it, that doesn't mean I hate them.
What possible reason could you have for saying 'I disapprove of mix race marriage' that would not be racist?

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's BS! You just as well say if you don't approve of people believing in/having faith in a god you're a bigot.

To be a good person I don't have to "approve" of anything anyone does.
If I disagree or don't like it, that doesn't mean I hate them.
This is an interesting dialog.

One thing I just became aware of is that I don't necessarily approve of the gay lifestyle. My position is that I have no judgment one way or the other about the gay lifestyle, they aren't hurting anyone so to my mind it's none of my business.

The odd thing is those who disapprove of the gay lifestyle. I defend gays and their freedom to love who they want because that is my basic platform of being tolerant and accepting. I neither approve or disapprove because I don't take any stand to judge them.

Additionally I don't disapvrove of people being theists. I will disagree with their claims and beliefs if they present them in debate, and I am free to assess and criticize ideas, beliefs, and the reason theists decide to believe. I only disavprove of anyone who deliberately harms otehrs, and espeically to profit themselves somehow. Bahai are in this category. Who knows why Baha'u'llah decided to be homophobic, but it's seems irrelevant to what the rest of the religion stands for. It was probably just a popular attitude at the time and it has not aged well into a more tolerant 21st century.

So we are more likley to disapprove of something than approve, just because if people run, or play darts, or knit we might not have any opinion about it, no one gets hurt. But if they knit, and on occasion stab stangers at the mall with a knitting needle, well that crosses a moral line and we might form a negative opinion. It's not the knitting, it's the stabbing.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Who knows why Baha'u'llah decided to be homophobic, ..
Not his fault. Allah was speaking through him. Allah does not speak in any other way.
When deities possess people:
zasdf.jpg
theyyam-051.jpg

ppp

I never brought up the word "approve/disapprove". I used agree.
There is a difference.
You said "agree with a homosexual's life" which is not a thought with any completion. Do you have any usage meaning for that phrase that doe not boil down to your approval? I doubt it

We Never Know

No Slack
You said "agree with a homosexual's life" which is not a thought with any completion. Do you have any usage meaning for that phrase that doe not boil down to your approval? I doubt it

As I said in a previous post....

"I don't agree with the life of a drug addict or hooker but that doesn't mean I hate them."

It isn't about approval. Its their life, I don't have to agree with it and not agreeing with it doesn't mean I hate them.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Science does not make moral decisions. That to me is God’s realm and the role of the Manifestation. Science explores the material world. It does not decide right or wrong, good or bad or moral and immoral

Science is a toolbox, a collection of methods we use to examine and understand reality. The process can help us make informed decisions about what we (subjectively) deem to be moral and why.

Religions are just a collection of often errant and archaic doctrine and dogma. Telling someone they must follow a set of rules uncritically isn't morality, its indoctrination.

The Manifestation of God is never wrong

Quod errat demonstrandum.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Without religion science lacks a moral compass and is being used by politicians to create dangerous weapons threatening us all.

Or protecting us, depending on your viewpoint, but yes science is simply a method for understanding reality. It can of course help make informed choices about what we deem moral, and why.

Uncritically following doctrine, is simply indoctrination, it is in no way morality, which by definition is the ability to differentiate between right and wrong behaviours. Relinquishing our critical thinking faculties simply turns us into amoral automatons.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I know that is not what was said. Why do you think I have to respond to what was said?

Because you quoted his post as a preface, obviously. What a truly bizarre question.

Though this does explain the penchant for irrelevant straw men fallacies.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Do you ever have anything nice to say, something positive, other than to your fellow atheists?

If you want uncritical approbation, then espousing religious absolutes that involve hate speech like homophobia to an atheist and humanist, is hardly likely to succeed, now is it?

Everyone who does not agree with you is deemed stupid or prejudiced, etc.

I haven't called anyone stupid, and the prejudice that has been pointed out is irrefutable, even without those individuals unequivocally and repeatedly admitting they are prejudiced against gay people.

That they choose to delude themselves this isn't the case with platitudes is sadly not uncommon.

Last edited:

samtonga43

No, it was no such attempt. Two people who love each other having sex with each other for purposes other than producing offspring are in the same light.

I'm not sure I understand you here,Tb.

By 'in the same light' do you mean that you approve of any two people who love each other having sex with each other for purposes other than producing offspring?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Why do you keep asking the same question over and over again? Are you trying to suggest that producing a child is a mandatory goal of every possible sexual act? No exceptions? And if it can't be done (for example by an infertile partner or couple -- like the elderly) it must not be undertaken at all?

It's also a rather dishonest straw man, since no one has ever suggested same sex couples can reproduce together. Only refuted the absurd claim that gay people can't or don't reproduce, and even in precisely the way their religion risibly claims everyone should, by have intercourse primarily for reproduction rather than pleasure.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Everyone who does not agree with you is deemed stupid or prejudiced, etc.

I cannot prove we have free will

I think that they could have done otherwise,

because that person had the free will and chose to do that

You may find it helpful to define free will, as you seem to be making contradictory claims. Al's the word prove, as one wonders what your basing belief on, what for example if your criteria for accepting something as true, or conversely for disbelieving it?