• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy water.

Clara Tea

If you mixed holy water with the same amount of normal water do you double the amount of holy water or does the water lose its holiness completely? Or is there a varying measure of holy potency?
Also a priest obviously can't turn an entire ocean into holy water by blessing it, so what amount of water is the limit per blessing?

Regular mole (curry) is found in the ethnic food section of a grocery store. But, if mixed with holy water, it becomes holy mole, so it is found in the religious section. This shows that one can mix holy water with other things.

Water under Jesus was likely made holy by walking on it.

How much can holy water be diluted?

According to the link above, holy water remains holy as it is diluted until it reaches 49%, at which, it is no longer holy water.

I don't know if this ratio is different for heavy water (hydrogen has an extra neutron).

If it is used for a seminary, it would be considered seminal fluid.

I suppose that we could capture a vampire and use him for holy water experiments.

If you mixed holy water with the same amount of normal water do you double the amount of holy water or does the water lose its holiness completely? ...

What do you think “holy” means? I have understood it means basically “dedicated to God, or God’s work”. This is why “holy water” is just water that is separated for certain purpose. If you mix holy and unholy water, and it is still for God, or the God’s purpose, it is holy.

pearl

Traditionally, we have placed fonts of holy water near the entrances of our churches. This placement and usage corresponds actually to Old Testament Jewish practices of purification: The Book of Leviticus prescribed various ritual purifications using water to remove the "uncleanness" associated, for instance, with coming into contact with a dead body, menstruation, childbirth, or leprosy (cf. Leviticus 12-15). A person also purified himself with water before entering the Temple precincts, offering prayer and sacrifice, and eating. For this reason, in the Courtyard of the Priests (the area before the actual Temple building) was the Laver, an immense bronze basin filled with water. Here the priests purified their hands and feet before offering sacrifices at the nearby altar, bathed before entering the Temple itself, and also drew water for other purifications prescribed in Jewish rituals. Interestingly, the Qumran community, located near the Dead Sea and responsible for producing the Dead Sea scrolls, also had purification pools for the cleansing not only of external "uncleanness" but also of sin.

We too have fonts filled with holy water for blessings for three reasons: as a sign of repentance of sin, for protection from evil, and as a reminder of our Baptism. The repentance of sin symbolized in the washing with water is reflected in Psalm 50: "Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. Cleanse me of sin with hyssop that I may be purified; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow" (3-4, 9). (Hyssop is a small bush used for sprinkling water). St. John the Baptizer called all to conversion using a ritual washing of water to signify the repentance of sin and purification.

Holy Water (catholiceducation.org)