• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy water.

Deo Vindice

If you mixed holy water with the same amount of normal water do you double the amount of holy water or does the water lose its holiness completely? Or is there a varying measure of holy potency?
Also a priest obviously can't turn an entire ocean into holy water by blessing it, so what amount of water is the limit per blessing?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wondered the same thing, going to church when I was a kid and trying to understand the concept of holy water. My grandmother told me it was usually blessed by the priest every Easter. I remember asking why they didn't just bless the tap, so that any water that comes out of it is holy?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I wondered the same thing, going to church when I was a kid and trying to understand the concept of holy water. My grandmother told me it was usually blessed by the priest every Easter. I remember asking why they didn't just bless the tap, so that any water that comes out of it is holy?

What was her response?

exchemist

Veteran Member
If you mixed holy water with the same amount of normal water do you double the amount of holy water or does the water lose its holiness completely? Or is there a varying measure of holy potency?
Also a priest obviously can't turn an entire ocean into holy water by blessing it, so what amount of water is the limit per blessing?
Chortle chortle, eh? ;)

MatthewA

You can do that with soap, when you get down to the very last bit of soap, shampoo, hand-sanitizer, soap you use to wash dishes. Just a little bit of extra water, and it will last a few more days before it runs out. Thank you for the helpful life tip - Deo. :)

Jedster

In my former religion which was Guru/Devotee relationship, the leader was be believed to be THE manifestation of God for this time.
One of the rituals was drinking the water that 'His' feet had been washed in or even touched.
I don't remember about the potency, but remember the experience as something special(I am no longer a believer btw|)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't know. Maybe if you have extra water in the holy water, set it under a crucifix or Eucharist and "upgrade" the blessin'.

Unless tap water is the water of the devil, in general, I don't see it a problem. I also read about whats in holy water. Blessed Salt — Catholic Sacramentals

Don't know if its table salt or what. Don't think about it too much.

--Reflections of a former short-term catholic

We Never Know

No Slack
A little boy was sitting on the curb with a gallon of turpentine and shaking it up and watching all the bubbles.

A little while later a priest came along and asked the little boy what he had.

The little boy replied, "This is the most powerful liquid in the world, its called turpentine."

The Priest said, "No, the most powerful liquid in the world is Holy Water, If you take some of this Holy Water and rub it on a pregnant women's belly, she'll pass a healthy baby boy."

The little boy replied, "Shoot, that ain't nothin'. You take some of this here turpentine and rub it on a cat's butt and he'll pass a motorcycle.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It doesn’t work like that. It’s not measurement or magic. It’s intention. Our priest blessed a river each summer so we could do river baptisms.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It doesn’t work like that. It’s not measurement or magic. It’s intention. Our priest blessed a river each summer so we could do river baptisms.
So, what happens if a Satanist comes along and does a ritual to remove the blessing? Does the priest rebless the water? Could this resort in an endless back-and-forth of blessings and profanings? What if the Christians weren't aware the river had been corrupt?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't know about in churches, but I believe that every atom of water, like any other, is a part of God.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
So, what happens if a Satanist comes along and does a ritual to remove the blessing? Does the priest rebless the water? Could this resort in an endless back-and-forth of blessings and profanings? What if the Christians weren't aware the river had been corrupt?
The intention prevails. The water would be blessed immediately prio to use.