• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Books

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If someone gave you a book of recipes that included unattainable ingredients, would it have any practical application? or results of providing sustenance?

man doesn't live by bread alone but by "every" word as god.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Depends on why they are unattainable and if they will always be unattainable. Yes Books are physical things and have many practical applications. If someone is interested in it I could sell it buy something else.

omega2xx

Depends on why they are unattainable and if they will always be unattainable. Yes Books are physical things and have many practical applications. If someone is interested in it I could sell it buy something else.

What is the best part and how do you know it?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What is the best part and how do you know it?

The challenge to reach the unattainable ingredient. I imagine myself having to go to Mars and picking an exotic flower that only grows once a year with danger all around. When I succeed the dish is heavenly.

allfoak

Alchemist
That strikes me as odd. Obviously, unattainable messaged can be written.
They would not know how to even write it if they had not first done it themselves.
This is no ordinary message.
The majority of it is hidden to only those who are willing to do what it says.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
They would not know how to even write it if they had not first done it themselves.
This is no ordinary message.
The majority of it is hidden to only those who are willing to do what it says.
An even odder statement! Only those that understand it could possibly accept it and be willing to do what it says...yet only those willing to do what it says can understand it! Iff as you (you meant) to say it is NOT hidden to those willing to do what it says.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Because I'll never be a billionaire should I ignore books on investing? Because I'll never be a world famous actor, should I ignore books and classes on acting for fun? Holy books are like that. They can give you a frame-of-reference, inspiring stories and helpful hints.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
If someone gave you a book of recipes that included unattainable ingredients, would it have any practical application? or results of providing sustenance?
There could be some hidden metaphorical or esoteric meaning behind the seemingly unattainable ingredients. For example:

"To forge the wings of an archdemon, gather and bring with you:

1/4 part Dancing screaming dragon scales

1/4 part Irridecent antiholy serpent feathers

1/4 part Molten archangelic dragonbone

1/4 part Transdimensional photonic seraph flesh

Then, whilst standing atop a desert mountain amidst a lightning storm during sunset, shout into the universe the ineffable name of God."

Last edited by a moderator:

omega2xx

The challenge to reach the unattainable ingredient. I imagine myself having to go to Mars and picking an exotic flower that only grows once a year with danger all around. When I succeed the dish is heavenly.

What is the unobtainable ingredient and how do you know it is unobtainable? If it was the exotic flower, it seems you obtained it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What is the unobtainable ingredient and how do you know it is unobtainable? If it was the exotic flower, it seems you obtained it.

I don't, The OP never said, I asked how unobtainable it was and if it would ever be obtainable and was not responded to. In my mind I made it up. I imagined glorious places that I would go that were either beautiful or dangerous to achieve this ingredient for this incredible tasting dish.

I've always enjoyed reading Sci-Fiction Fantasy because I can see the places. I can imagine myself in the story. This what the recipe book would give me an incredible fantasy life. Perhaps I will never physically make a recipe but mentally I would make them all and they would be glorious.

omega2xx

I don't, The OP never said, I asked how unobtainable it was and if it would ever be obtainable and was not responded to. In my mind I made it up. I imagined glorious places that I would go that were either beautiful or dangerous to achieve this ingredient for this incredible tasting dish.

I've always enjoyed reading Sci-Fiction Fantasy because I can see the places. I can imagine myself in the story. This what the recipe book would give me an incredible fantasy life. Perhaps I will never physically make a recipe but mentally I would make them all and they would be glorious.

Keep in mind that Sci-fi is fantasy. God and His creation are not. We see it daily.

You have not answered what is God most important creation if it is not man.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Keep in mind that Sci-fi is fantasy. God and His creation are not. We see it daily.

You have not answered what is God most important creation if it is not man.

Keep in mind this OP is about a recipe book and no one asked a question about God.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Then one must figure out which ones are obtainable and which one are not. Since some have obtained this one, we need to put in the obtainalbe column.
In that case, I have to ask you two questions.

What, precisely, is the message(s) you claim that some have obtained?

Please name a handful of persons that have obtained this message(s)?

Or if not please tell me how you otherwise conclude the message(s) has been obtained.

omega2xx

In that case, I have to ask you two questions.

What, precisely, is the message(s) you claim that some have obtained?

Please name a handful of persons that have obtained this message(s)?

Or if not please tell me how you otherwise conclude the message(s) has been obtained.

I agree what is to be obtained/not obtained is vague. I assume it is heaven. That Bible says it can be obtained and how to obtain it. Since the Bible is all true, all Christians have obtained heaven. It may be in the future but it is guaranteed(Phil 1:6 & Heb 12:2).

Muffled

Jesus in me

man doesn't live by bread alone but by "every" word as god.

Some ingredients may be hard to obtain like sharks fin but I believe I will find tuna fish and be able to make tuna casserole. At any rate the cookbook will have enough recipes I can make.

The same is true of the Bible. I may not be able to heal the sick if I don't have that gift but I will still be able avoid sin making my life a lot better.