• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu Vegetarianism - Hypocritical?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Hindu Vegetarians -I met are pretty much against anyone eating meat in their presence.This is a kind of sanctimonious attitude which is not at all conducive to harmony in the society.I surely think that no one can impose food restrictions on others.

There are some people who think that non-vegetarians are some how inferior - this has a lot to do sectarian attitude prevalent in India.There is widespread notion among some people that vegetarians are pure and spiritual.And then there are vegetarians who correlate all of a person's qualities with the food he ate.(Non-veg is Tamas,so if I get angry it is because I ate fish!).This I think is very much flawed.People like Hitler,Pol pot have been Vegetarians.Further,they make 'Sanctimonious' snide remarks when some one is eating non-vegetarian food.This is ridiculous from the fact that,it is not easy for someone born in a non-veg family to switch from non-veg to veg overnight.If vegetarians cannot stand the smell,they should make it clear right from the start rather than sucking someone's blood.

Such Hindu's should ask themselves how consistent they themselves are:
1.The conception that milk is some how pure and does not cause any harm is totally false.Cows don't publicize themselves and ask humans to drink their milk!Modern Dairy and Factory Farming (for vegetables) practices are abominable to say the least.Milk Drinking from a vegan perspective is an example of selfish human behavior. No,you don't become a 'selfish' guy by drinking milk.Milk is for the Calf and not meant to be taken by humans.Next time,you offer milk for God,Hindus must think about cow 'suffering'.

And then whats wrong with Eggs if Milk is alright?Hindu Vegetarians must remember that Eggs are unfertilized and they do not have a potential for life any more than Milk has.

2.How about Soaps,leather,silk etc?They are made from raw hide and animal tissues.But Hindu Vegetarians seem to be largely unaware of this fact.

I do not have problems if a person has chosen Vegetarian for his personal self development.However,What is the point in being a Veggie if you use Vegetarianism as a cloak for your own evil nature and showoff one's ethical superiority?

Last edited by a moderator:

Metempsychosis

I have never even once observed this behavior. And I've spent time in India. Are you sure you don't have some ax to grind?
Of course,there are a lot of them.A lot of Vegetarian detest cooking non-vegetarian in their house.My friend does not even use the utensils which had non-vegetarian food a year ago(ha!).Now,in India,there are rental apartments whose owners only allow vegetarian people.An example of 'holier than you' attitude which is highly detrimental for any kind of spiritual growth.

Kalidas

Hindu Vegetarians -I met are pretty much against anyone eating meat in their presence.This is a kind of sanctimonious attitude which is not at all conducive to harmony in the society.I surely think that no one can impose food restrictions on others.

There are some people who think that non-vegetarians are some how inferior - this has a lot to do sectarian attitude prevalent in India.There is widespread notion among some people that vegetarians are pure and spiritual.And then there are vegetarians who correlate all of a person's qualities with the food he ate.(Non-veg is Tamas,so if I get angry it is because I ate fish!).This I think is very much flawed.People like Hitler,Pol pot have been Vegetarians.Further,they make 'Sanctimonious' snide remarks when some one is eating non-vegetarian food.This is ridiculous from the fact that,it is not easy for someone born in a non-veg family to switch from non-veg to veg overnight.If vegetarians cannot stand the smell,they should make it clear right from the start rather than sucking someone's blood.

Such Hindu's should ask themselves how consistent they themselves are:
1.The conception that milk is some how pure and does not cause any harm is totally false.Cows don't publicize themselves and ask humans to drink their milk!Modern Dairy and Factory Farming (for vegetables) practices are abominable to say the least.Milk Drinking from a vegan perspective is an example of selfish human behavior. No,you don't become a 'selfish' guy by drinking milk.Milk is for the Calf and not meant to be taken by humans.Next time,you offer milk for God,Hindus must think about cow 'suffering'.

And then whats wrong with Eggs if Milk is alright?Hindu Vegetarians must remember that Eggs are unfertilized and they do not have a potential for life any more than Milk has.

2.How about Soaps,leather,silk etc?They are made from raw hide and animal tissues.But Hindu Vegetarians seem to be largely unaware of this fact.

I do not have problems if a person has chosen Vegetarian for his personal self development.However,What is the point in being a Veggie if you use Vegetarianism as a cloak for your own evil nature and showoff one's ethical superiority?

I have seen the opposite. since I have turned Vegetarian (over night actually quit literally) I have gotten nothing but ridicule, preached at, verbally attacked, and insulted. I feel like I have to hide it sometimes because I may be called a ******, or some random person will have to start arguing with me about how I am wrong and I am being unhealthy and this and that.

I have no issue what so ever with people eating meat around me, I even barbecue for my family still. Sooo I guess i'm weird

Yes the way we process milk in AMERICA is bad and horrendous. I also specifically went on tot he HAF(Hindu American Foundation) to find companies that sell the "most humane" milk products. I STILL eat eggs for the very reason you explained.

I do not think I am superior just because I am a vegetarian. I remember before I was veg I thought like this and realized it is not true. People have this idea that "All vegetarians are judgmental and preachy" that people get defensive and "anti vegetarian" before they even give the vegetarian a chance, this is called a STEREOTYPE and it IS a form of bigotry.

Metempsychosis

I have seen the opposite. since I have turned Vegetarian (over night actually quit literally) I have gotten nothing but ridicule, preached at, verbally attacked, and insulted. I feel like I have to hide it sometimes because I may be called a ******, or some random person will have to start arguing with me about how I am wrong and I am being unhealthy and this and that.

I have no issue what so ever with people eating meat around me, I even barbecue for my family still. Sooo I guess i'm weird

Yes the way we process milk in AMERICA is bad and horrendous. I also specifically went on tot he HAF(Hindu American Foundation) to find companies that sell the "most humane" milk products. I STILL eat eggs for the very reason you explained.

I do not think I am superior just because I am a vegetarian. I remember before I was veg I thought like this and realized it is not true. People have this idea that "All vegetarians are judgmental and preachy" that people get defensive and "anti vegetarian" before they even give the vegetarian a chance, this is called a STEREOTYPE and it IS a form of bigotry.
I think you are Westerner who converted to Vegetarianism.:)
See what happens in India:

"The real estate agent told me 'You don't look vegetarian. You won't be able to live here,' " she said, recalling his discomfort as he studied her face and surname, trying to divine if she was a Jain or a Marwari. In fact, she was brought up in a coastal area near Mumbai as a non-vegetarian Hindu.

"That annoyed me a lot," she said of the inspection. The apartment was in a highly sought-after building, a good investment. "I lied and told him I didn't eat meat."

It was the start of an existence punctuated with deception.

Pieces of eggshell swept out to her landing almost exposed her double life a few months back.

"My neighbor, a strict Jain, asked my sweeper who the eggshells belonged to," she said. "The sweeper was loyal to me and said she didn't know.

"Another time he came into my flat, opened the fridge and found eggs inside. I had to tell him that the doctor had told me to feed eggs to my daughter."

"The smell would be a problem, but it's more than that," she said. "A non-vegetarian person eats hot blood and it makes him hot blooded; he might not keep control of his emotions."

The passionate disgust that the notion of eating meat elicits is summed up by Vinod Gupta, the leader of one of Mumbai's most vocal pro-vegetarian movements, Maharashtra Gopolan Samiti.

"Even the sight of someone eating meat is revolting," he said. "It's not just a matter of principle, I have a sense of physical repulsion. I wonder how they can behave that way."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/world/asia/21iht-india.1.7594173.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I could see a vegetarian might have trouble eating in the presence of others, because even without intending to offend they do offend. Eating together the same food binds people, but it is offensive if someone eats food but you refuse to taste it. That is a deep instinct, not just a social rule. You can try to overlook it of course.

As a teenager I attempted to go vegetarian, but my family did not like that. I gave up! When I was older I ate meat across from a vegetarian. It was awkward, and I felt that I was imposing on them while at the same time not liking the same foods. Now, everywhere I go there are burger restaurants and all kinds of restaurants serving meat. If I change and decide not to eat meat, then I think I will be very aware that I am not participating in the same things as everyone else. If I want to have close friends who are vegetarians while I am omnivore, diet will be an obstacle rather than a binding experience. We would have to be friends despite our differences in diet, because the common feeling of eating together would be missing and felt.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Of course,there are a lot of them.A lot of Vegetarian detest cooking non-vegetarian in their house.My friend does not even use the utensils which had non-vegetarian food a year ago(ha!).Now,in India,there are rental apartments whose owners only allow vegetarian people.An example of 'holier than you' attitude which is highly detrimental for any kind of spiritual growth.

I have personally seen that in India, wherever I went, for the great majority. It was even a problem when looking for an appartement (plus the fact of being a westerner, actually.)

Just saying that from personal experience, this is maybe not true for the entire country (or at least, I have no way to know so...). I don't feel the need to justify my dietary habits or to debate on them.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Stormcry

Pranam, anti-religion.

I think first we should know why meat eating is not allowed in hindu vedam ? Meat eating is prohibited in hindu dharma and however there is also allowed to eat non-veg in limited extent . The intention of this is to give up one's habit of meat eating . No doubt, non-veg is not prescribed for those who are spritially inclined .

What you eat, it can influence your spiritual progress .That's why in bhagavad gita, Krishna gave importance to diet . He classified diet in three modes according to guna : sattvika food, rajasik food and tamasik food. Further says 'the people who are under the mode of tamas guna, love to eat impure , rotten, (non-veg) food. This the reason why non-vegeterian diet is called as tamasik. It increases tamas guna of both subtle amd material body and it is very harmfull in spirituality . It is much better to avoid non-veg if you are serious in following vedic dharma.

There is no any suffering for cow when milk is taken out in limited extent . cow is our mata ( mother) and she feeds us.Then what is suffering for her ? Don't we hindus are her calfs ? :)

Hare Krishna ...

Metempsychosis

hinduism♥krishna;3548898 said:
Pranam, anti-religion.

I think first we should know why meat eating is not allowed in hindu vedam ? Meat eating is prohibited in hindu dharma and however there is also allowed to eat non-veg in limited extent . The intention of this is to give up one's habit of meat eating . No doubt, non-veg is not prescribed for those who are spritially inclined .

What you eat, it can influence your spiritual progress .That's why in bhagavad gita, Krishna gave importance to diet . He classified diet in three modes according to guna : sattvika food, rajasik food and tamasik food. Further says 'the people who are under the mode of tamas guna, love to eat impure , rotten, (non-veg) food. This the reason why non-vegeterian diet is called as tamasik. It increases tamas guna of both subtle amd material body and it is very harmfull in spirituality . It is much better to avoid non-veg if you are serious in following vedic dharma.

There is no any suffering for cow when milk is taken out in limited extent . cow is our mata ( mother) and she feeds us.Then what is suffering for her ? Don't we hindus are her calfs ? :)

Hare Krishna ...
It may be harmful for a Sadhak...I am not contesting this fact.Most Hindus are hardly Sadhak,they are worldly people trying keep themselves fit and look after their family.I am contesting the level of (in)tolerance displayed by some of the Indian born Hindus in the name of vegetarianism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've only very rarely encountered this behaviour. As far as renting an apartment, the landlord has lots of rights, at least in North America.. no pets, no smoking, restrictions to noise hours, etc. I don't see how it's sanctimonious. My house is a vegetarian house,except for the cat. People all accept that.

I think in general society does way too much judging of others. So what if some aquaintance is a sanctimonious jerk? How does that actually affect you.

Yes I get uncomfortable ... around drunks, around heavy smokers, around cursers. Not so much around meat-eaters, unless they are openly being condescending to me.

Heck, at the Hindu temple I go to, nobody knows who is a vegetarian and who isn't. Why? it's because nobody cares. It's none of your business.

Metempsychosis

I am. I do not have time to watch that video. It still does not take away from the fact that you are stereotyping. Not every Hindu in India does what you say they do.

Have you been to India?

Hi Kalidas,

I am a Indian Hindu.This has a cultural context in India.There are quite a bunch of them who do this-I never said every vegetarian does it.For a Westerner,who has never lived or just toured India it has no meaning.

You are actually looking at my post from the viewpoint of anti-vegan sentiments in the west.

My point is ,eggs are somehow so spiritually detrimental while so many vegetarian foods have lot of rajas and tamas in them is amusing.And Leather wallets are alright!

Metempsychosis

I could see a vegetarian might have trouble eating in the presence of others, because even without intending to offend they do offend. Eating together the same food binds people, but it is offensive if someone eats food but you refuse to taste it. That is a deep instinct, not just a social rule. You can try to overlook it of course.

As a teenager I attempted to go vegetarian, but my family did not like that. I gave up! When I was older I ate meat across from a vegetarian. It was awkward, and I felt that I was imposing on them while at the same time not liking the same foods. Now, everywhere I go there are burger restaurants and all kinds of restaurants serving meat. If I change and decide not to eat meat, then I think I will be very aware that I am not participating in the same things as everyone else. If I want to have close friends who are vegetarians while I am omnivore, diet will be an obstacle rather than a binding experience. We would have to be friends despite our differences in diet, because the common feeling of eating together would be missing and felt.
I had similar experiences before.

Stormcry

It may be harmful for a Sadhak...Most Hindus are hardly Sadhak,they are worldly people trying keep themselves fit and look after their family.I am not contesting this fact.I am contesting the level of (in)tolerance displayed by some of the Indian born Hindus in the name of vegetarianism.

No friend, this is not true. Most hindus are spiritually inclined . I think you are misguided by someone .

please come to our land of god, india and you will surely see here our spiritual wealth :) ?

Kalidas

Hi Kalidas,

I am a Indian Hindu.This has a cultural context in India.There are quite a bunch of them who do this-I never said every vegetarian does it.For a Westerner,who has never lived or just toured India it has no meaning.

You are actually looking at my post from the viewpoint of anti-vegan sentiments in the west.

My point is ,eggs are somehow so spiritually detrimental while so many vegetarian foods have lot of rajas and tamas in them is amusing.And Leather wallets are alright!

Oh I am sorry I did not know seeing your location does not say.

you are correct I am looking at it from a western lens, but not as a western way but in a I know from experience people can make judgments about another group and be wrong. I don't see why India would be any different.

Take my example some meat eaters are very judgmental of me but I do not assume this of all of them.

I still eat eggs, I see no issue in them at all. Same with garlic and spicy food, i love my garlic and spicy foods. I do not have a leather wallet, I am slowly avoiding foods that harm animals. Like I am trying to avoid GMO foods because they harm insects,birds,and etc etc etc.

Maybe people in India who eat meat face the problems vegetarians face by meat eaters in America? Still though this does not apply to all

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I think you are Westerner who converted to Vegetarianism.:)
See what happens in India:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/world/asia/21iht-india.1.7594173.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

What happens in Mumbai happens in all of India? How interesting. When I went to Uttar Pradesh, meat was everywhere. Same with Haryana and the Punjab. Andhra Pradesh has a very lenient attitude towards meat-consumption, especially fish-consumption. Northeastern States of India also consume meat very frequently. I have only encountered the "Holier Than Thou" attitude in regards to meat consumption in Gujarat. But, go to Surat, Gujarat and Daman, Union Territory...meat consumption is almost kinda popular.

However, I have personally encountered a "Holier Than Thou" mindset by many vegetarian Hindus in and out of India (especially in Gujarat). But, in Delhi, I noticed that there were many non-veg restaurants and they were very popular. Kerala has one of the highest beef consumption rates in India.

Metempsychosis

मैत्रावरुणिः;3549025 said:
What happens in Mumbai happens in all of India? How interesting. When I went to Uttar Pradesh, meat was everywhere. Same with Haryana and the Punjab. Andhra Pradesh has a very lenient attitude towards meat-consumption, especially fish-consumption. Northeastern States of India also consume meat very frequently. I have only encountered the "Holier Than Thou" attitude in regards to meat consumption in Gujarat. But, go to Surat, Gujarat and Daman, Union Territory...meat consumption is almost kinda popular.

However, I have personally encountered a "Holier Than Thou" mindset by many vegetarian Hindus in and out of India (especially in Gujarat). But, in Delhi, I noticed that there were many non-veg restaurants and they were very popular. Kerala has one of the highest beef consumption rates in India.
West Bengal considers fish to be vegetarian:p.I have met vegetarians who initially taught they can stand the smell and the sight,later found it to be disgusting.

The whole non-veg and veg judgement is beyond individual control in most cases(esp. if a person is young) since food is made for the family and it is inconvenient to cook differently for different people.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
West Bengal considers fish to be vegetarian:p

The whole non-veg and veg judgement is beyond individual control in most cases(esp. if a person is young) since food is made for the family and it is inconvenient to cook differently for different people.

Haha, I am not surprised about West Bengal and fish, haha.

But, not just West Bengal, but Bihar has a chicken dish that is a cultural food dish and it is highly popular. Orissa also has many, many consumers of meat-dishes. I think they have a couple cultural meat-dishes as well.

By cultural, I mean a staple diet that is eaten at least more than once a week.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the article. It was from 2007. But, I know for a fact that many landlords will require residents to be vegetarians.

Interesting that the article detailed Mumbai. Mumbai has some of the most famous non-veg restaurants in India, doesn't it?

When I went to Pune, there were so many bars and non-veg restaurants, that it was difficult to think that Pune was a pro-veg city.

Even in Gujarat. Go to the McDonalds in Amdavad (Ahmedabad). That is one popular and extremely busy place. Parents take their kids there for two reasons: the fries, and the chicken sandwiches and wraps. Trust me. I know. Personal experience. :p

Metempsychosis

मैत्रावरुणिः;3549058 said:
Haha, I am not surprised about West Bengal and fish, haha.

But, not just West Bengal, but Bihar has a chicken dish that is a cultural food dish and it is highly popular. Orissa also has many, many consumers of meat-dishes. I think they have a couple cultural meat-dishes as well.

By cultural, I mean a staple diet that is eaten at least more than once a week.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the article. It was from 2007. But, I know for a fact that many landlords will require residents to be vegetarians.

Interesting that the article detailed Mumbai. Mumbai has some of the most famous non-veg restaurants in India, doesn't it?

When I went to Pune, there were so many bars and non-veg restaurants, that it was difficult to think that Pune was a pro-veg city.

Even in Gujarat. Go to the McDonalds in Amdavad (Ahmedabad). That is one popular and extremely busy place. Parents take their kids there for two reasons: the fries, and the chicken sandwiches and wraps. Trust me. I know. Personal experience. :p
Yeah true...I just remember some articles from Leading saints on Vegetarianism:
Swami Ranganathananda on Hindu Vegetarianism

Coercion is of no use, because that will make people secretive, and they will spoil their character.Character or the good life is not essentially a product of either vegetarianism or non-vegetarianism; it is most peripheral in significance. Something more inward is needed for that. So, as Jesus would say, 'We wash the outside of the cup, but the inside is dirty.' So we are trying to beautify everything outside, but inside is dirty.
And this one:
Certainly it is better to purify one’s mind and purify one’s vital before thinking of purifying one’s body. For even if you take all possible precautions and live physically taking care not to absorb anything except what will help to subtilise your body, if your mind and vital remain in a state of desire, Inconscience, darkness, passion and all the rest, that won’t be of any use at all. Only, your body will become weak, dislocated from the inner life and one fine day it will fall ill.

One must begin from inside, I have already told you this once. One must begin from above, first purify the higher and then purify the lower. I am not saying that one must indulge in all sorts of degrading things in the body. That’s not what I am telling you. Don’t take it as an advice not to exercise control over your desires! It isn’t that at all. But what I mean is, do not try to be an angel in the body if you are not already just a little of an angel in your mind and vital; for that would dislocate you in a different way from the usual one, but not one that is better.
Sri Aurobindo: Rationale behind vegetarian