• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu Monotheism

duvduv

Theology isn't historical, they're different things.

Most Hindus worship God in one way or other. In terms of devotion, big ones are Rama, Krishna, Ganesha, Hanuman, Shiva, the various forms of Devi. Murugan in some areas.
Do they consider these to be various names for the Supreme God? And ehy would an infinite God be represented by a statue showing an animal?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do they consider these to be various names for the Supreme God? And ehy would an infinite God be represented by a statue showing an animal?
Animals are also manifestations of Brahman, same as us. So what's the objection.

duvduv

(I have not read the whole thread and I do not know whether someone has already written the following perspective or not.)

So, actually if you delve deep into the upanishads, you will see that Hinduism is not classical Monotheism at all. I reproduce below the description of the Self (which has three manifest states: waking, dream, and sleep) and a transcendental Fourth called Turiya where the consciousness is alive and there is no subject-object division. The fourth state of Self is not different from Brahman, and it is represented by the sacred syllable AUM or OM. The experience of this Fourth state is considered to be an ultimate blissful experience. It is said that the world functions based on a fraction of this bliss.

Mandukya Upanishad

The fourth condition of the Self corresponds to Ôm as One, indivisible Word. He is whole; beyond bargain. The world disappears in Him. He is the good; the one without a second. Thus Ôm is nothing but Self. He who understands, with the help of his personal Self, merges himself into the impersonal Self; He who understands.
Some people may not use 'He' or Him' for the Self, since it is not a person, in conventional sense. Yet, in Hindu literature, it is called Purusha, which is translatable as 'Male Person'. But 'purusha' actually means 'Purva' -'Usha' (before light). So, Purusha is the person before the light, which is daughter of the Purusha.

Since Purusha, Brahman, Self is one without a second, Monotheism is not the fundamental reality, as per Vedanta.

(Again, this is approximately from the perspective of Advaita Vedanta.)

How can the Infinite God be represented by a monkey or an elephant? Or in a statue at all?

duvduv

I hsvd read that some Hindus perceive God as a person with whom one interactd whereas Vedanta sees God as impersonal. But hoe can both be true?

atanu

Premium Member
How can the Infinite God be represented by a monkey or an elephant? Or in a statue at all?

You can meditate on God with your mother's face in mind. Hindus understand that. Hindus can meditate on God in a stone too.

The understanding is the key.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

I think the simple answer here is all are manifestations of (or more accurately are) Brahman.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Our statues aren't representations. They're conduits, just as copper is a conduit for electricity. Only a Hindu would understand this.

Kirran

Premium Member

You still aren't getting that there's immense diversity within Hindu traditions.

There are about 14 million Jews - do they all believe the same things about the nature of divinity? And if there's diversity in such a small group, what of a billion Hindus?

Again, I go back to: questions are all very well. But go worship, and you can find out for yourself.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not. In the Hindu perspective every entity is actually infinite, as its essence is Brahman. So, in the proper perspective, there are no finite entities at all.

duvduv

There are many ideas in Hinduism that resemble ideas in Kabbalah, including the idea of reincarnation. I am trying to understand better the issue of the deity, but am still not clear whether any Hindus actively and clearly relate only to the idea of a single Supreme God who is omniscient and omnipresent, and who can handle anything and everything, and to whom one can pray directly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are many ideas in Hinduism that resemble ideas in Kabbalah, including the idea of reincarnation. I am trying to understand better the issue of the deity, but am still not clear whether any Hindus actively and clearly relate only to the idea of a single Supreme God who is omniscient and omnipresent, and who can handle anything and everything, and to whom one can pray directly.

Most likely some Hindus do, as we're so diverse. Ne also have atheists. Neither of these would be common.

Satyamavejayanti

"duvduv",

Namaste,

Infinity does not imply that one has limitations, this is why no limitations are placed on Brahman in regards to How one can approach it. Plus there is no restrictions in Hinduism on worshipping form or using a Murti to relate and connect to the Infinite. Basically through the finite (Murti) we can connect and realise the Infinite (Brahman).

Dhanyavad

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That depends on the philosophy. Some favour predestination, others may see fate as something which can be shaped by a number of factors. Others may even take a mixed approach, seeing destiny as the consequences. Really it comes down to interpretation and which someone connects with the best.
I mean I guess the whole idea of the different schools is to directly pray to God. It just happens to be varied in interpretation. And then there are Atheistic schools too.

duvduv

As a matter of philosophical matter Judaism is aware of the existence of angels and demons, but all religious attention and worship is singularly directed to the supreme God who is Creator of everything and all that exists. So I wonder why any other peoples would direct worship to anyone else unless they believe the supreme Creator is limited and incapable of relating to mankind, something which would be illogical for the supreme Creator.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
As a ourrkp philosophical matter Judaism is aware of the existence of angels and demons, but all religious attention and worship is singularly directed to the supreme God who is Creator of everything and all that exists. So I wonder why any other peoples would direct worship to anyone else unless they believe the supreme Creator is limited and incapable of relating to mankind, something which would be illogical for the supreme Creator.

I am not sure you've listened to what people have told you.

What do you know of nondual teachings?